ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   6 Speed Smoother Shifts Advice Needed (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/1039527-6-speed-smoother-shifts-advice-needed.html)

STI450 22 June 2016 11:09 AM

6 Speed Smoother Shifts Advice Needed

Any tips/tricks to getting smoother shifts on a 6 speed '08 STI hatch gearbox?

I've noticed that 2nd to 3rd under full acceleration in 3rd isn't the smoothest and you have to shove it which quite a decisive action! I'm still getting used to the car having only just bought it and notice I sometimes miss third as I move across the gate too far!

Car is running 450bhp/450TQ so am just wondering if perhaps I need to look at some gearbox upgrades/supports. eg. STI Group N 6spd Gearbox Mount etc

stealthbomber 05 July 2016 08:13 AM

You could try a nylon gear linkage bush kit from as performance
, a different gear knob might help, I've got a rallytec one on mine which is longer and heavier and shifting is really nice now. Don't take it the wrong way, but also think about your gear changes, try and smooth it out.

STI450 05 July 2016 04:54 PM

Thanks, will keep in mind to be smoother with the changes and will have a look at AS Performance.

stealthbomber 05 July 2016 05:07 PM

The bush kit has been one of the best mods on my car, and it's cheap. Makes for a very snicky (made up word I know) gear change.

edsel 05 September 2016 10:32 AM

I'm suffering the same issues on a recently rebuilt WR1 box fitted to a classic. At a recent RWYB meet I kept hitting fifth instead of third. I have the AS bush kit fitted, sure its improved the feel but not solved the third gear issue when changing under load or in race conditions.
Next on my list is a short shift kit but I'm undecided what one to use.

The Pink Ninja 05 September 2016 05:33 PM

2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th have always been the same on all the 6 speeds, the synchros dont like to be rushed :lol1:

bustaMOVEs 05 September 2016 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by edsel (Post 11873128)
I'm suffering the same issues on a recently rebuilt WR1 box fitted to a classic. At a recent RWYB meet I kept hitting fifth instead of third. I have the AS bush kit fitted, sure its improved the feel but not solved the third gear issue when changing under load or in race conditions.
Next on my list is a short shift kit but I'm undecided what one to use.

Think that's more of your technique tbh, and IMO 6 speeds don't need a short shift kit, they are short enough as is and will potentially give you more gear changing issues like popping out of gear etc, the 5 speeds benifit short shift better as they are a longer throw.

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja (Post 11873253)
2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th have always been the same on all the 6 speeds, the synchros dont like to be rushed :lol1:

4th-5th is common for crunch issues when in race mode, I've combatted a gear change that solves it :D
All my other gears are fine btw.

ZANY 05 September 2016 05:44 PM

Replacing the rear diff cradle bushes makes a lot of difference to the gear change feel much more solid

edsel 05 September 2016 06:50 PM

I've been telling myself its my technique for months, never had issues with any other gearbox.
I'm still using the five speed clutch and fly, would that have any bearing on the poor changes? Heavy duty mounts have just been purchased and a six speed clutch is imminent, we'll see if that improves my technique :) No crunches in the recently rebuilt box.

bustaMOVEs 05 September 2016 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by edsel (Post 11873278)
I've been telling myself its my technique for months, never had issues with any other gearbox.
I'm still using the five speed clutch and fly, would that have any bearing on the poor changes? Heavy duty mounts have just been purchased and a six speed clutch is imminent, we'll see if that improves my technique :) No crunches in the recently rebuilt box.

Brace everything up, drivetrain wise, will keep the box less leany when on full power etc, box might be tilting too much because of soft bushes.
Diff brace, box mount, cradle mounts, dog bone etc will keep box stable and aid in easier changes and less rock type motion

Gambit 06 September 2016 08:57 AM

I also struggle with the 2nd -> 3rd technique and been reliably informed that instead of trying to push it up & across into 3rd just go straight up with no force across and itll go straight into 3rd. Still trying to master it but still find myself going up & across

JGlanzaV 06 September 2016 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gambit (Post 11873368)
I also struggle with the 2nd -> 3rd technique and been reliably informed that instead of trying to push it up & across into 3rd just go straight up with no force across and itll go straight into 3rd. Still trying to master it but still find myself going up & across

The gearbox naturally returns to centre so you shouldn't need to move the stick across at all. You need literally no pressure on the stick to shift 2-3 it will find its own way home....

scotty boy 80 06 September 2016 10:28 AM

3rd to 4th I some times get problems when booting it

edsel 06 September 2016 04:02 PM

After investigating further I've found a split engine mount, purchased uprated engine and gearbox mounts. I'll report back when fitted.

The Pink Ninja 06 September 2016 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11873382)
The gearbox naturally returns to centre so you shouldn't need to move the stick across at all. You need literally no pressure on the stick to shift 2-3 it will find its own way home....

2 fingers on the rear of the gearknob and just push it forward works for me, gentley does it but quickly :lol1:

bustaMOVEs 06 September 2016 05:40 PM

I can't believe we're actually discussing how to change gear Loool.

Gambit 06 September 2016 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV (Post 11873382)

aye i know, but what i was getting at is that when rattling up through the gears asap i have a tendency to try and ram it into 3rd by going up and across, same way in going from 4th to 5th you'll go up & across for it - its just a bad habit

JDM_Stig 06 September 2016 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Pink Ninja (Post 11873253)

Also what RPM are you shifting ?

RE Short shifts on a 6 speed, no idea why it wouldnt make life easier, I love the GGR one on mine, just less effort required when changing gear, it did come with both bushes so that will help with precision changes, if it is loose and worn it will make the changes harder.
:thumb: