Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Removing gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2015, 04:31 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Removing gearbox

So, this weekend is removal time On a 95 WRX.

So far i have

removed tmic, startor motor,slave cylinder, driveshafts, prop, exhaust, wiring, so is there anything hidden i need to remove, i seem to remember something a while back about removing a pin with an m8 thread, is that right ? apart from that, removing the 4 bolts around bellhousing and out she pops ? we hope !

cheers
Old 12 February 2015, 05:22 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I left the shafts on my car just popper then off the gearbox and let them hang. You do need to use a jack to push the box sideways to do this.

There is a plug to remove from the side of the box where the clutch fork is. Once that plug is removed you screw the bolt into the hole and then pull the fork pin out. You won't get the box off unless you get that pin out.

Gear linkage?

Then is the mounts and the bell housing.

Then it pops off.... yeah right. Then you beat the **** out of it and spend ages trying to force the box off of the engine. It helps if you tilt the engine backwards. Please tell me you are not doing this on axle stands? It's a massive pain in the **** and getting it back on can be very challenging.
Old 12 February 2015, 06:44 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the input bud and yes, i have the front of the car on axle stands but on a slopped driveway, the rear wheels are on and handbrake fully up lol.

that plug you mention sounds like the pin i was on about, so cheers for clarifying that bit, oh yeah, gear linkage forgot that bit, mounts and then the bellhousing bolts.

not looking forward to this last bit, everything else has come apart far too easily so far, but the box has been off about 5 yrs ago so im hoping it wont be too badly wedged on, wish me luck, if u dont hear back, assume the car fell on me lol eeeek
Old 12 February 2015, 10:17 PM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Feel your pain rig my box chewed 3rd a couple of weeks ago, Il be on axle stands on a gravel drive when I get round to stripping it out , just make sure the cars got enough ground clearance to drag the old box out from underneath
Old 13 February 2015, 03:23 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Oh yeah, ground clearance to remove box once ive dropped it from engine, good call, hmm, might need a bigger trolley jack lol !
Old 13 February 2015, 04:17 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it to a garage lol.....

A horrible nasty job on stands. At least it is only a weedy 5 speed. I did a 6speed on a classic on a drive a while back. Never again
Old 13 February 2015, 05:53 PM
lineker13
Scooby Regular

Good luck fella. Myself and my mate changed my gearbox on his driveway with the car on axle stands. It was a horrible job, only made worse by finding out that when we attached the new box, added fresh oil and buttoned everything back up, that the box was jammed in 5th gear and would not budge. No matter how hard we tried to free it, it was shot too. To cut a long story short, I have now had to buy another gearbox and have got to repeat the process all over again, starting with the removal of the second knackered box tomorrow.

Last edited by lineker13; 13 February 2015 at 05:55 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 14 February 2015, 11:04 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

cheers guys, the gearbox is out :-)

The hardest part was the fork pin, was in there well, had to put a washer on the m6 bolt and lever it out, took ages.

Now to find a replacment..............
Old 14 February 2015, 11:18 PM
lineker13
Scooby Regular

Nice one fella We managed to get mine out today too, but it helped that we only put the other box in a couple of weeks ago, so everything went like clockwork. I'm lucky as my replacement should be delivered in the week. I hope it's in better condition than the last piece of scrap I ordered.
Old 15 February 2015, 12:46 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

yeah, gutted for you bud you had to do the work twice, i wouldnt want to, ive done mine over 2 weekends when i can fit it in and id say to remove the gearbox has taken about 6 hrs in total, alot of that time tho is faffing about with jacks, axle stands and doing everything the hard way lol.

glad yours came out easy 2nd time round, i now have the joy of searching for a replacement box........ :-)
Old 15 February 2015, 01:19 AM
lineker13
Scooby Regular

I know the feeling. Mine has been done over 6 weeks, but only on Saturday mornings. I can totally understand the axle stand/jack problems. Good luck with the search for a replacement and I hope everything goes smoothly for you