Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Slipping Clutch... ???

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2015, 10:25 AM
scooby-wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping Clutch... ???

Don't get to drive my RA much these days, but noticed the clutch was slipping intermittently around a month ago so after rigorous bleeding etc... I realised I was going to have to pull the gearbox out again to have a look... The clutch is an Exedy Heavy Duty with less than 3000 km's of use. Slipping usually occurred when hot - after a long or hard drive

First thing I noticed was there appeared to be grease on the clutch pressure plate - this must have worked its way off the input shaft / throw bearing which I had applied a bit of grease to (my mistake...)! I thought it would have been obvious - hot spots on the flywheel etc... but not so easy, is it possible the grease was the cause?

Notice the grease on the inside of the clutch pressure plate housing...

There's a visible layer of grease (or something) on the inside of the clutch pressure plate.

A lot of dust on the inside of the housing.

Clutch plate itself still has a lot of life left, but grooves are all blocked with deposits of what appear to be from the plate burning. This photo shows the cleaner grooves, I'll put more up tomorrow. There's a noticeable lip which has worn on the inside of the plate app. 1mm high - will get a photo tomorrow.

I haven't pulled the flywheel off yet, but noticed the bearing appears to protrude past the edge of the flywheel. Is this normal? I'm sure it should be flush... No signs of heat etc...

Does anyone have an opinion on what the cause of the slipping clutch could be?

Last edited by scooby-wrx; 01 February 2015 at 10:28 AM.