Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

front end clonk noise.

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2014, 03:09 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default front end clonk noise.

Hi all, just trying to investigate a clonking noise I have on the front end. About 3 weeks ago had front drivers wheel bearing fail. Replaced that and all OK. Decided to do passenger side to keep it all uniform.
Since doing passenger side I've had a clonking noise. Not all the time just if I go over a speed bump at a slight angle.

I thought maybe I damaged wishbone ball joints when taking the hub off the car but can't feel any signs of play in them?!

Car currently front end in the air and if I pull wheels left to right I do feel a bit of resistance just past centre turning left. Almost like a notch it has to get over. That an indication of ball joint or shock mount bearings? I guess with the weight of the car on the ground that could become a clunk?
Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 22 November 2014, 03:57 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Checked all nuts and bolts all tight. Steering rack all seems OK. Again all nuts tight and bushes OK.
Old 24 November 2014, 10:28 AM
ClassicEddie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drop link bolts not tight? Sometimes there's a bit of space around the bolt the hole. Not that I'm trying to insinuate anything...
Old 24 November 2014, 09:01 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ClassicEddie
drop link bolts not tight? Sometimes there's a bit of space around the bolt the hole. Not that I'm trying to insinuate anything...
Checked them as well.. all nice and tight.
Has whiteline rollbar with whiteline links. took them all off and greased recently as was squeaking a little now the weather has turned.

Having a good look with a torch I found one of the wishbone ball joints was slightly raised from the inside the hub on the pinch bolt. I wonder if the pinch bolt had worked it's way loose and allowed the joint to lift and move slightly?! Unbolted, pushed flush an torqued up again.
Wouldn't say it has cured it but it is a little quieter and clonks less frequently.
Thinking I may go for some new wishbone balljoints as they are cheap enough and fairly easy to replace.
Possibly an excuse for upgrading to alloy wishbones or even doing the bump steer mod?
http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=KCA313

Are either really worth the money?