Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Sti engine

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2002, 03:27 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK engines - with care can be tuned to the same level as an Sti

There are a lot of cars that having spent the same sort of money have ended with the same result - irrespective of start point - i.e. they are all running about 340-360 brake. It's the 350 club and at least half of them are running core UK engines.

For the same money as a conversion you could get the sort of power I describe above.

Trout

[Edited by Trout - 6/2/2002 3:27:57 PM]
Old 06 February 2002, 04:12 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Bruiser....

....well - yes!

And as far as drivetrain is concerned the main weak link will be the clutch and the AP is a good replacement - and there is one from Oz that is even stronger and cheaper.

The gearbox is not a problem as the gear set is the same as the Sti - poor mechanical sympathy is more likely to cause a problem than the extra power and torque. By the way - this is not a guess I know this from experience of rebuilding one.

Sure - any car that is tuned beyond it's original spec is more likely to have a failure than one that hasn't - however Scoobs are relatively robust - and if done properly there is no specific reason why a 280-300bhp 'standard' car shouldn't last.

The two main reasons for failure are poor tuning - i.e. not done properly, or poor mechanical sympathy when driving.

For a standard UK car - an MD254 (VF23) hybrid turbo - or similar, plus a LINK will get you into 300bhp territory. A full decat exhaust and induction kit will definately get you over 300bhp and in total this lot will cost £3000-3,500 new......or you could keep a close eye on the for sale page and probably do it for £2,500.

Trout

PS NOS is a poor excuse for tuning it properly (flame grilled suit on)
PPS My car has been abused on road and track for over 45k miles - and is tuned, badly, by me and has never caused me any core problems

[Edited by Trout - 6/2/2002 4:14:58 PM]
Old 06 February 2002, 04:22 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yep but I brought 280 bhp straight out of the box and is surely a better platform to go from but I suppose it depends what you are after though . You will still miss the lightweight ally bits and short ratio sports box (strengthen on my RA I think). Plus on my insurnace I can have 10% power increase (nice noisy exhaust ) with no increase in premium. Okay its a few hundred more than a UK inusrance wise but I am sure I would be paying more for a modified 300bhp UK than a 300 bhp import.

You may find with all that kit SUK may not want to know if you have a engine claim as well . Defeats the object of buying a safe warranted UK car and would you want a UK dealer servicing it with a trick ecu . If its out of warranty then go for it but you pays ya money ..............

[Edited by chrisp - 6/2/2002 4:27:45 PM]
Old 06 March 2002, 12:43 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm one of the 'club' members that old fishy boy is on about...and my car is still running

I drive about 300 miles a week, have done over 10k miles since the full blown mods on a UK engine that has been slapping (MY98 with piston slap what a surprise ) since 60k miles and it's on 79k now.

I was cheaper to insure a moded uk with Sti power (ie about 300 brake on an sti with the usual basic exhaust and filtration mods) than an sti too...and I get to upset the sti boys (plus many others) when they learn it's a uk

But I am going to put in a proper built engine (forged rods and pistons at the very least) sometime in the not to distant future, because I want even more power...and I must be on borrowed time with an old slapper like mine

Oh yeah, if your looking for bit's to build you beasty I can probably help

[Edited by Tim W - 6/3/2002 12:45:53 PM]
Old 02 June 2002, 03:16 PM
subaru 808
Scooby Newbie

Have currently got a standard '98 uk turbo.
Does anyone know how much an sti engine conversion would cost and what other parts i would need to upgrade to compliment the conversion?

Cheers
Old 02 June 2002, 03:23 PM
Bruiser.STi
Scooby Regular

Talking

Wouldnt you be better off to get an STi, then you get all the goodies, not just the engine!!!
If you upgrade to an STi engine alone, you may find yourself then starting on the brakes, exhaust etc etc....In my experience, if you spend a little more up front, it can save you in the long run....

Just my opinion....
Old 02 June 2002, 03:28 PM
subaru 808
Scooby Newbie

Good point well made!
Isnt insurance for an sti so much more than for a uk spec turbo?
Old 02 June 2002, 03:35 PM
Bruiser.STi
Scooby Regular

If you increase the power of your UK turbo to over 300bhp, im sure the insurance company would be interested in that....

How many of these 350 club cars on UK engines have lasted at least 10,000ml so far??? Thats a lot of stress on a standard engine....
Old 02 June 2002, 03:49 PM
subaru 808
Scooby Newbie

Ok then. say i was to tune the turbo to 280, would i still have a reliable car or would i be faced with constant engine problems.

Has anyone got any thoughts about nitrous??????
Old 02 June 2002, 04:04 PM
Bruiser.STi
Scooby Regular

I reckon the problems would start with drivetrain....depending on how you treated it...clutch, gearbox etc...
Old 02 June 2002, 04:20 PM
Bruiser.STi
Scooby Regular

Trout- I was always under the impression that STi's had heavier duty gear sets in the gearboxes???
Old 02 June 2002, 06:03 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Bruiser,

so was I until I had to rebuild it. Also the reubuild was not due to a fundemental problem with the gearbox per se - I missed a change on track and broke an (in fact the only) oil spreader ring.

The core parts are exactly the same as the UK car. The final drive is different to give a shorter box.

It was another Sti bubble burst - like the closed deck block crap.

Alloy suspension parts, (hopefully) forged pistons and uprated con-rods seem to be the only difference. Well - that and the bigger turbo and 280bhp out of the box.

Trout
Old 02 June 2002, 10:17 PM
subaru 808
Scooby Newbie

Talking

So basiclly if i was to upgrade the internals of the engine i could have a fairly robust (and maybe even reliable) engine??

Also would just a full exhaust and air filter really take the bhp close to 280???
Old 03 June 2002, 10:03 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Subaru 808,

no I think we are saying that careful tuning can get you up to 300bhp plus - without going internal.

An exhaust/decat/filter might give you 240-250bhp.

To get more you really need to get an uprated turbo and ECU - then you can have 300bhp.

Trout
Old 04 June 2002, 08:38 AM
fmimpreza
Scooby Newbie

Hi
you can buy a new STI VII Short block for around ~2400EUR net in Germany.
AFAIK it's the cheapest place in the world where to get those blocks so cheap...

We have fitted such a block now to my MY99 with the STI Headers and valves as well (but without the AVACS-system of course).
All other components will fit without greater problems.
STI Clutch system won't fit...

Can't wait 'til wednesday when I got my car back :-))

Regards Frank
Old 04 June 2002, 08:40 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Let us know how it is please

Richard