Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Erk, possible headgasket failure? Or heater matrix? Please help...

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2002, 11:29 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Over the last few weeks the car has been acting a bit oddly. The first thing I noticed was that it was steaming up badly in conditions where in the past it didn't, then when the heating was switched on a distinct burnt or coolant type smell was strong.
I mentioned this to a mate tonight and we had a closer look at the engine, under the pressure cap the coolant looked fine (ie not oily) but under the yellow cap beside the battery there were slight deposits of a beige type that looked kinda like the rind from soft cheese. Under the oil cap the oil was slightly red in colout but the oil on the dip stick looks normal.

The temperature gauge is behaving itself, there are no warning lights and the car pulls cleanly and strongly as ever. The car is a UK MY98 Turbo which I've owned since 6 months old, with 52K on the clock with a new short engine fitted 18 months ago at 34K.

So, to my mind, either the heater matrix is holed or a headgasket is on the way out. Help - anyone else experienced these symptoms?
Old 29 May 2002, 02:22 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Miles: You do not say if the motor has used any water? How much? If so under any particular circumstances?
Old 29 May 2002, 10:19 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just recently this was brought up - I think in this section (where the Q£$^£$^&£%^&"£ search!!?!?) with similar symptoms.
Apparently, it's normal (that was according to a Subaru garage - read what you want from that). Just remove the cheese & carry on!