Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

WRX from Motorpoint

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2002, 02:33 PM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm looking at the WRX's due into Motorpoint in the near future - seem cheap enough (need to part ex my 4Motion Golf which has been a big disappointment so no direct dealer import for me) but having read some of the threads on this site I'm a little concerned about the warranty. I know it will come with 12 month not three years but should I be worried about UK dealers working on it under warranty, or them not working on it and trying to get out of it?

Also, I do around 24K miles a year - is it going to hack this sort of milage?

[Edited by lucky_strike - 5/20/2002 3:41:09 PM]
Old 21 May 2002, 12:50 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

lucky,

your only conern should be where the car is sourced from. Providing it's sourced from within the EU you shouldn't have any problems getting your import serviced and any warranty issues resolved.

Some of the "worrying" discussions you may have seen on here were relating to cars sourced form cypress as they are not a member EU state and therefore Subaru UK have no obligation towards them.

Best place to source is from Holland or Belgium as contary to what you may have heard they now come with a 3 year warranty. (I think all euro supplied cars now have to come with a minimum 2 year manufacturers warranty now anyway, some EU ruling that started this year.)

In your other post you mention the Sti, if I remember correctly motorpoint had some good prices on the STi. If you can stretch to that then go for it, but remember verify where it's sourced from, and get in writing, some people have been lied to and then unable to service their cars with no come back.

As for mileage what makes you think a scooby would be any less able to handle high mileage than any other motor, I wouldn't have thought that's an issue but others may have a better idea on this.
Anyone??
Old 21 May 2002, 11:56 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Scoobs are excellent high mileage motors - good intrinsic engineering. It's just service/fuel costs that militate against them as a longer term ownership proposition.

Assume the worst from this type of dealer. Get absolutely everything in writing, as though preparing for the inevitable.....
Old 23 May 2002, 01:55 PM
Baby Blue
Scooby Regular

You might be supprised at the discounts you can get at UK dealers, mine was less the £1k more than Motorpoint, when you include the alarm + "freebies" (mats £50, locking wheel nuts £30, Subaru Assist, 3 yr warranty etc. they all mount up!). Motorpoint work on such tight margins that they are more reluctant to throw in any extras, usually a case of WYSIWYG. Don't quote me on this.

If you want to save money try importers, you can get new WRX's for around £16K from some but have to wait 4-5 months usually.

Happy hunting and driving! ... but to quote others "always remember whilst driving ... shiny side up" this should get copywrited!!

BB
Old 24 May 2002, 11:38 AM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Baby Blue I've already done it.

Patent Number GB820010218

You owe me a tenner [img]http://indigo.ie/~owenc/starwars/images/king.gif
[/img]

[Edited by boultsy - 5/24/2002 11:39:23 AM]
Old 24 May 2002, 03:54 PM
Baby Blue
Scooby Regular

Post your full name, address and bank account details on hear then and I'll make sure you get it m8!

BB
Old 24 May 2002, 08:01 PM
tonybooth
Scooby Regular

Motorpoint's WRX's used to come from Eire. Don't know if this is still the case.

BTW there is a UK MY01 WRX Wagon in Silver in this weeks Yorkshire Auto Trader for £14300.00.

TONY