Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Grade A Subaru - joke terms and conditions

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2008, 04:08 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Grade A Subaru - joke terms and conditions

Really disappointed with Grade A Subaru.

They sent me a mechanical part in very average condition for way above the odds, but which i was willing to pay for as i needed it urgently. It was sent to the garage directly. On the back of the receipt was the smallprint, ie return within seven days or basically, go swivel.

I didn't see these T&Cs, obviously, so once it became obvious that the part wasn't needed (which was, after lots of trying this, trying that, about three weeks), i sent it back, totally unused, for a refund. I'd have thought that was fair enough. Or maybe to be given a credit note.

It was then returned to me, with a very inflammatory highlighting of the T&Cs i should have known about, and even with a very patronising "returned at my own expense" message.

Now i'm sorry but to me this is pathetic. We're trying to keep our cars on the roads, Grade A no doubt provide a useful service. But if they have to be total ***** about giving refunds for items just because they aren't returned within a week then frankly i'm not interested, i'd do anything to avoid using them in future. What sort of business throws the book at its punters like that? Not too many i'd hope.

Grade A if you're reading this, i think you're a bunch of penny-pinching losers. If an **** returns policy is part of your business plan, stick it. You need to learn the art of discretion, not rip off punters like that, in my opinion.
Old 02 July 2008, 04:53 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not good, i would be abit pissed off as well.

i brought something from another well knowen subaru braker, it was send out to me faulty, and it will be a month soon from when i sent it back to them, and i am still awaiting for a refund.

think some of these brakers have customer service on a different level to most places
Old 02 July 2008, 06:38 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

thats crap service.
Old 03 July 2008, 03:09 PM
joekont
Scooby Regular

TBH, most companies have a restocking fee at the very least.
Go to your scooby parts dept and somewhere on the wall will be a sign saying that there will be a X% restocking fee on returned parts but there are no returns on electrical parts at all.

I could spend all day sending parts out to customers that they "might" need and then they send them back and I have to book them back into stock and put back on the shelf.

I think that Grade A's prices make a mockery of second hand parts and will avoid at all costs. But when no one else has the part that you need to get the car back on the road, what are you going to do.
I've only had to deal with them twice but both times were painful in the pocket..
Old 03 July 2008, 03:26 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i used them twice about 4 years back when i needed top mounts for shocks (swapped the standard stuff for coilovers in a moment of madness)

1st time the parts came and they looked pretty battered, but i was assured they would be fine, second time was for the rear top mounts a week later and they missed out all the little bits and bobs that go with them, that i specifically asked for "just like the ones last week mate for the front"

to be honest, i think i paid over the odds for the parts but could not find anybody else selling them, and for what its worth, all 4 were noisy as hell.
Old 09 July 2008, 04:18 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Requiring unwanted goods to be returned within a week is pretty standard practice in any industry. If they are faulty, it's a different matter.The sale of goods act applies. Just sending it back cause you've decided you don't want it, 3 weeks later, is taking the P a bit. They have no obligation to take back stuff at all(unless faulty).
Grade A can be a bit funny thogh. I bought a set of Gram lights off them , for less than £200 , in excellent condition. They would probably have got more for them , except they probably put people off on the phone. I phoned a couple of times to ask vital information.
Girl on phone, "It's that bloke again, asking what offset they are?"
Grimy bloke in office, " How the F*** should I know, tell him they're standard Impreza."
Great sales technique!
Old 09 July 2008, 06:34 PM
stoneface
Scooby Regular

I've phoned in the past and been quoted considerably more for second hand parts than i could get them at the stealers!
Old 09 July 2008, 06:54 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

sound like grade A w4nkers to me.
theres only one way the business will go with that crappy attitude.
Old 09 July 2008, 10:26 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

they are tossers, i wanted an intercooler pipe for a slanty type intercooler to keep me goijng till my front mount turned up and they wanted 35 quid for it, i said stuff it and put the phone down, i refuse to pay their stupid prices.
Old 09 July 2008, 10:52 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

They did my mate too.

He wanted a ABS version rear hub, they sent a non ABS version...... After endless conversations of model year and type.
Because he needed the car we ended up making a good one out of the 2!

They are a last option for me now once all other avenues are done.
Old 09 July 2008, 11:22 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

I went in person to get a couple of cheap items off them and I was fairly happy with their service. Then I asked about an under bonnet scoop tray and he sized me up and down and said "atleast £45 + VAT).

I thought that was ridiculous for a peice of tin with a hole cut out, so I walked away.
Old 10 July 2008, 06:53 AM
M535I
Scooby Regular

he quoted me 1300+ vat for an sti v3 engine , yet my mate brought a ra closed deck block for 1100 cash ! of him and he said the cdb is one of the rarest you can get !!! , when i phoned to argue the price he wasnt intrested gave alot of attitude i it got me knowhere . Dont get me wrong i didnt phone him with the attitude of im right yur wrong . i wont use him again and by the looks of it neither will the above .
Old 10 July 2008, 09:06 AM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Try using Bucks Subaru Centre for all your secondhand parts. - 01494 564555.
Andy is a very reasonable guy, and you won't get any problems like this.
Old 10 July 2008, 10:05 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

TB?!

I used to use Grade-A when I first got into imprezas, they are over priced imo but then thats because the market allows it. while its not ideal for the consumer they are still in business and I dare say they turn a reasonable profit.

I then started to use Glenburgie- Subaru up in bonnie Scotland.
I always had good dealings with Liam up there and only one time did they send an incorrect part, they then arranged the courier to collect at a convenient time for me which made a refreshing change to the usual "they will be there between 9am and 5pm" malarky.

I now exclusively use Bucks Subaru as Fiestaboy says above.
They provide a good service and have an excellent pricing strategy (read that as cheap ) I also receive my parts mostly next day and I've never had to return an incorrect part yet.
ironically, you might say that Bucks Subaru provide a grade-A service

this is only my opinion however its based on 5 years experience of sourcing impreza parts

Last edited by Peanuts; 10 July 2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10 July 2008, 11:32 AM
New_scooby_04

TBF I've had one dealing with Grade A (a used 3 port solenoid) and found the service to be good.

My previous experience of breakers has lead me to the conclusion that they do tend to be a bit....er rough around the edges! The kind of place where other tradesman flourish and regular punters fear to tread!

Ns04
Old 10 July 2008, 12:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Cool

I've had four dealings with them, two I collected, two posted to me.

Each item was as described, and reasonably priced. The posted items were delivered quickly, well packed.

Their attitude was helpful and polite. When I bought a set of seats off them, one of their staff took time to help me load up, advise me and show me which other parts to remove from a car they had in, to aid the job. He then lent me a tool to remove said parts.

I think the OP is missing the point about used car parts: how do GradeA know that you didn't order the part as a stopgap, use it yourself, then return it for refund?

Obviously, he didn't, but believe me, there ARE folk out there who WOULD do this if the T&C allowed them to

Alcazar
Old 10 July 2008, 08:53 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TBH, I've just had a rear diff from them. Quote was over £100 cheaper than anyone else, fair enough it was fit and prove warranty, and it had to be done within 2-week, but that is pretty much standard from breakers. Once fitted, the diff was quieter than my old one, which was only replaced because the cover was cracked.

When I phoned to place the order, the woman who answered was polite and knowledgable and dealt with my order quickly and efficiently. Diff arrived the next day and was well packaged and in great physical condition.
Old 19 July 2008, 03:19 AM
181rb5
Scooby Newbie

Default engine and box

I bought an rb5 engine and box of grade A. maybe it was expensive and maybe its a normal subaru engine but i'm fussy and wanted one from an rb5. with only 444 produced it was to my amazment that they had a 50 k engine and box sat there. For the money i spent i could have got a better engine and no one would have been any the wiser.

never recieved any proof of the claimed 50 k millage or any follow up call saying thanks for your large sum of money. engine checked out ok though apart from a knackered turbo and is running a reliable 304 bhp. Turbo was beyond use though on a 50 k engine . hopefully just had a tough 50 k???. Its a sellers market i guess when you buy online or over the phone and people like me are trusting enough to send large sums of money out for something they have never looked at.

As for main dealers, my local one can stick my knock sensor i've been trying to buy all day up there ***. 12 calls and parts are busy. left number and no ring back. asked him for a classic knock sensor of a t reg car when i finally got through. needed reg and they would ring me back. uhh no ring back. Is it that hard to know if you have one for a 99 classic? If anyone can give me details of the bosch part numbers i'll sorce one myself, i would be much obliged.
Old 19 July 2008, 07:24 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have had great service from Grade A Subaru myself.

The part arrived next day and exactly as described and for less than half the new price.

I couldn't want for any better service.
Old 19 July 2008, 09:24 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

I think the OP is missing the point here..

You cant go and buy parts as a swap and change program to try and fix your car. Well you can,but be prepared to pay for them.
Parts should be bought when you have correctly diagnosed the problem,then have the part fitted and everyones happy..
Car breakers are not like shopping at M&S.

Grade A are slightly expensive on some stuff,but they have the gear that no one else does..At the end of the day,no one is being forced to buy off any company,you pay your money and take your choice.
Old 23 July 2008, 10:29 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the comments here.

Just to put this experience in perspective, this was i think the thrid time i've used Grade A, and on the previous two occasions i did indeed get a decent part within a short space of time. But they weren't mechanical. As others have said, i think the girl answering the phone is helpful etc etc.

I do understand about not having a "free option" on a part, and yes i can imagine there are many who would and do take the **** with regards using a part and then returning it. But do you think i am totally out of order in expecting a credit note (less their postage costs, fair enough) rather than having a useless part arrive again on my doorstep with a stroppy covering note? Surely that's not being unreasonable??

In any case, i'll walk over broken glass before using these clowns again, i'm not being taken for a mug like that by a bunch of jumped-up tinkers. Thanks for the contact info on Bucks Subaru, they'll certainly be getting my call instead next time.
Old 23 July 2008, 11:09 AM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

I had a run in with them a couple of years ago when i made a complaint about them sending me an incomplete part that was broken i was basically told to go and **** myself by the woman that answers the phone there!!! I can honestly say that she is one of the rudest people i have ever spoken too. I got the impression she was the Owners other half i wrote a letter of complaint but heard nothing back.

Grade A tossers !!!
Old 23 July 2008, 11:35 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to add some balance to this... I ordered something else from them on Monday which arrived yesterday in perfect order. Job's a good un.
Old 23 July 2008, 12:16 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I dont think Grade A are the only breakers to have this policy!!! I bought a part from a VW breakers for my Golf and they had the same policy, "There are no refunds but if the part is wrong then they will exchange it for the right part" "But stricly No Refunds"

I know that you might be a bit upset about not getting a refund, and I would too, But you have to remember that someone has took the time to remove that part from a car, clean it up, pack into a parcel and take to the post office and send the part out to you, It costs money at the end of the day and Grade A are a business and are there to make money.

But I agree that Phone manners cost nothing, and as someone has already wrote that they had stroppy dealings with them over the phone, well thats unacceptable and I wouldnt use them on that statement alone!!!!!

Hope you get it sorted anyhow!!!!!!
Old 23 July 2008, 04:32 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thanks, but no, i won't be getting it sorted. In their eyes, it IS sorted.

That is, i have a part in a box at home which is totally worthless to me, which i can't return, and for which i cannot exchange for anything else.

Grade A? I know what *i* think the A stands for....
Old 23 July 2008, 04:33 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Oh and i've just seen your "clean it up" comment. You've never used them have you?! My advice - don't if you don't have to.
Old 23 July 2008, 05:19 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Oh and i've just seen your "clean it up" comment. You've never used them have you?! My advice - don't if you don't have to.
Used them once, bought a set of brand new crystal headlights off them about 5 years ago for my MY00 turbo 2000 after I had a set pinched off my car!!!!!

Paid £300 at the time
Old 23 July 2008, 06:12 PM
JAMSCOOB
Scooby Regular

glad this has been posted as i was going to use these for a few parts thanks for the info on them cheers jam
Old 23 July 2008, 06:30 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

DO NOT USE GRADE A BREAKERS!!!1 THEY ARE ****E.

Phoned up almost a yr ago....erm...'hi yes I would like some rear 2 pot discs for my classic' brand new...'yep we have them' they charged me £150 for some standard *** discs...

To cut it short. The discs were totally different and did not fit....AND they simply didnt want to know....

£150....down the drain.... If I had spare time.....there'd be more to this story once I'd finish with them..

you've been warned!!!
Old 24 July 2008, 12:40 AM
hybrid12
Scooby Regular

well after reading the reviews theres definetly alot of un happy customers out there, but i have to be honest i went up there and bought quite a few things off them and they where happy to negotiate a price and even helped me load my car will a full set of sti interior! but i didnt deal with the main boss.

Quick Reply: Grade A Subaru - joke terms and conditions