Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Greenwood Racing Development anygood?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2006, 02:09 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greenwood Racing Development anygood?

I saw GRD in one of the Japanese Magazine and although their packages seem good and well thought out it seemed to be a new company. Has anyone used them?
Old 16 May 2006, 03:42 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

i saw the same article 457 bhp on standard internals!!!
martin
Old 16 May 2006, 04:23 PM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://domain1046568.sites.fasthosts.com/
Old 16 May 2006, 04:32 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Yep looks a bit unsafe to say the least.

Somethings I do like about GRD is the way it provides a rounded upgrade path for your car

handling stages, break stages, performance stages, etc however the guy seemed to be on his own in the company was this true?
Old 16 May 2006, 05:05 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Yep a lot is an understatement. I like the packages offered though. Breaking, handling, etc.
Old 16 May 2006, 10:33 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Jambo will be at SSO on Sunday . I think they're taking 2 cars up.

Go down and talk to him at the workshop, there are plenty of small operators that provide a quality job.

Steve
Old 16 May 2006, 11:12 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

He's not mapping the cars him self, I think he uses someone like Pat Herborn or Richard Bulmer. In the mag article he says the car's done 3,000 hard miles. Is that supposed to be reassuring, because I do that in three months...

Time will tell.

Cheers

Anders
Old 17 May 2006, 06:14 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

You havnt seen his hard driving Anders
Alot of the Surreyscoobies members have had work done by them and have all had good things to say

James
Old 17 May 2006, 06:31 PM
white
Scooby Regular

I read the same article too.

He reckons the trick to running high BHP on standard internals is by not stressing the ECU.
Old 17 May 2006, 08:33 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by white
I read the same article too. He reckons the trick to running high BHP on standard internals is by not stressing the ECU.

Not sure I understand his comment. I would have thought the ECU would be doing the same amount of processing on its inputs whether your driving around town or on the track, but I'll stand corrected if anyone else knows any better. I suppose an ECU would have less time to react to its inputs at high rpm to prevent damage.

If an ECU can be stressed to the point that it can't process quick enough, it's a serious design flaw. ECU over clocking anyone?

Cheers

Anders

Last edited by Anders_WR1; 17 May 2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old 17 May 2006, 10:23 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anders_WR1
Not sure I understand his comment. I would have thought the ECU would be doing the same amount of processing on its inputs whether your driving around town or on the track, but I'll stand corrected if anyone else knows any better. I suppose an ECU would have less time to react to its inputs at high rpm to prevent damage.

If an ECU can be stressed to the point that it can't process quick enough, it's a serious design floor. ECU overclocking anyone?

Cheers

Anders
I didn't understand it either, I just remember reading this whilst at TDI North when I was having my CTR put back to standard so it can be part ex'd.

I'm guessing he's talking about keeping the car running as cool as possible and avoiding a det issues perhaps??? I know there was a lot of effort put into the keeping the charge temps down with the water injection system and other mods.

I don't know enough to really comment on it as I'm still very much an amateur in terms of knowledge when it comes to Scoobs.
Old 17 May 2006, 10:36 PM
aaronhowe
Scooby Regular

I'm the one from the article with the stage 3 car and I have to say its fantastic. I use the car daily for work which is about 18000 miles a year and it has run perfectly for the last 6 months with no trouble what so ever.
Pat Heborn does all GRDs mapping.

He reckons the trick to running high BHP on standard internals is by not stressing the ECU.
I have the article here and at no point does it say anything like that.
The stage 4 car that is running 457bhp was more a test to see what the standard engines can run. You don't have to go for the full blown kit.
If you go to www.surreyscoobies.co.uk and ask about GRD everyone who has had work done is very pleased.
Old 17 May 2006, 10:39 PM
aaronhowe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by reano
I saw GRD in one of the Japanese Magazine and although their packages seem good and well thought out it seemed to be a new company. Has anyone used them?
I also had the same concerns about it being a new company before I had the work done but the way I saw it was how are new companies ever going to make a name for themselves if noone ever gives them the chance.
Old 17 May 2006, 10:52 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by aaronhowe
I also had the same concerns about it being a new company before I had the work done but the way I saw it was how are new companies ever going to make a name for themselves if noone ever gives them the chance.
i am sure tsl,scoobysport,scoobyclinic started somewhere but 457 bhp is a brave first go!!
martin
Old 18 May 2006, 09:01 AM
white
Scooby Regular

aaronhowe,

Sorry mate, I was getting confused with another high BHP Impreza I had read about running on standard internals.

THIS is the car I was thinking about.

They are associates of GGR IIRC.
Old 18 May 2006, 01:24 PM
aaronhowe
Scooby Regular

aaronhowe,

Sorry mate, I was getting confused with another high BHP Impreza I had read about running on standard internals.

THIS is the car I was thinking about.

They are associates of GGR IIRC.
No worries mate
Thats a mighty impressive car in that article. That greek tuner is totally bonkers
Old 18 May 2006, 01:39 PM
wilkoca
Scooby Regular

Had some work done at GRD, H+S centre de-cat and Jambo also sold me an immaculate pro-drive back box for £70.
Its early days for GRD but as you say everydody has to start somewhere, all i've heard is good feedback.
James does have a real passion for what he does and it shows.

Only downside is when you get Jambo talking you'll never get away
Old 18 May 2006, 01:53 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by aaronhowe
No worries mate
Thats a mighty impressive car in that article. That greek tuner is totally bonkers
I think it says a lot about the strength of the standard internals IMO, especially if that car is running that kind of BHP in the Greek heat.

It looks as if you go about things the right way a lot can be achieved on the stock internals.
Old 18 May 2006, 01:55 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

I think Bob's is running 450bhp on WRX internals!
Old 18 May 2006, 03:47 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Hmmm ok that sounds good may do the break (stage one) conversion and maybe the lighten flywheel and clutch. They have a comprehensive upgrade path. I hope he does well. The price is right as well
Old 18 May 2006, 05:20 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by reano
Hmmm ok that sounds good may do the break (stage one) conversion and maybe the lighten flywheel and clutch. They have a comprehensive upgrade path. I hope he does well. The price is right as well
My thoughts too. Your able to sort of 'pick and mix' your upgrade route in some respects.

I'm seriously considering giving a GRD a try.
Old 18 May 2006, 07:21 PM
wrc350
Scooby Regular

saw the pics, just a bit untidy under the bonnet
Old 18 May 2006, 10:06 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

My thoughts too. Your able to sort of 'pick and mix' your upgrade route in some respects.

I'm seriously considering giving a GRD a try.
If you do let us know how it went maybe we can get a group discount going???
Old 18 May 2006, 10:06 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrc350
saw the pics, just a bit untidy under the bonnet
loler love it
Old 19 May 2006, 12:41 PM
deano3202
Scooby Newbie

HI GUYS I AM FROM THE SS SITE AND I HAVE MET JAMBO AND GPOT A FEW THINGS FOM HIM

AS MENTIONED HE IS PASSIONATE ABOUT THIS STUFF AND WILL DO HIS UTMOST TO MAKE U HAPPY AND WILL CHAT ABOUT ANYTHING SCOOBY RELATED

YES HE IS JUST STARTING OUT IN THE GREAT SCHEME OF THINGS AND THIS WILL ALLOW HIM TO KEEP HIS OVERHEADS DONW WITHOUT EMPLOYING TONS OF STAFF WHICH CLEARLY IS A GOOD THING
AND HIS TEST CAR IS AWSOME

PERSONALLY IF I HAD THE MONEY I WOULD BE GOING TO HIM FOR MY STAGE UPGRADES AS HE IS LOCAL AND SOMONE I CAN TALK TO NOT LIKE MOST GARAGES AND THAT GIVES ME TRUST IN HIS WORK

GIVE HIM AGO GUYS AND REMEMBER IT DOESNT MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE WORK FOR HIM OR HOW BIG HIS WORKSHOP IS SURELY ITS THE END RESULT

SEE U ALL AT JAPFEST ON SAT IF U HAVE PLANNED TO GO
Old 19 May 2006, 12:57 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

One thing I will say about GRD/James is that he has on many occasions gone beyond the realms of the *set* package to make sure the customer is *very* happy with what they have paid for.

AP
Old 19 May 2006, 01:55 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Stop it now I'm real tempted and I live miles away Anyone else considering the stage one brake upgrade or the clutch and lightened flywheel options? We could try to tempt him with a group buy.
Old 19 May 2006, 07:12 PM
AlexT
Scooby Regular

I think the fact that JP would run a fairly sizable article on GRD should give some credability. After all they also have an image and decent reputation to up keep as well.

I think with any Tuner, have a chat with them you'll soon pick up either a good or bad vibe from them pretty quickly. I'm pretty sure that almost any of the popular and reputable Tuning companies still have a few unhappy customers so being relatively new to the scene shouldn't be a put off.

The packages are built on decent products, are well explained and broken down and with Pat doing the mapping business you pretty much exactly what you're getting for your cash.

Also relating the Tuning packages to other packages at the same level of tune is a great idea as it offers up a good way of how to achieve an overall balanced level of tune. I think too often we see companies offering x amount of horsepower but with no real options of complimenting and handling it. Whats the point of massive output if you're brakes aren't up to the job of stopping it or your clutch of delivering it.
Old 22 May 2006, 02:10 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

I was speaking to him over the weekend (via email) and I must say the responses via email were very quick even on a weekend that he was away on an event.
Old 22 May 2006, 04:21 PM
Awd Chaddy
Scooby Regular

Yep, he was at SSO. And his car was extremely rapid!!! If that is anything to go by, the packages will be well worth it.

Quick Reply: Greenwood Racing Development anygood?