Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.
View Poll Results: would you use chipsaway
yes i would use them
75.76%
No
12.12%
proper paint only
12.12%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Veiws on Chipsaway

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2005, 05:00 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Veiws on Chipsaway

Hi all I'm looking inot getting some work done, has anyone ever used chipsaway and what are your veiws,

1) Is it any good
2) Does it last well
3) Would you chose it over a "proper" paint job
Old 07 February 2005, 05:24 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RayC
Hi all I'm looking inot getting some work done, has anyone ever used chipsaway and what are your veiws,

1) Is it any good
2) Does it last well
3) Would you chose it over a "proper" paint job
Not used them specifically, but used somebody similar. Very good job at a resonable price. If you know where the damage was and you look closely you can just about make it out, but it more than passes normal inspection.
Old 07 February 2005, 05:40 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

I've used ChipsAway. The quality of the work was excellent, but this depends on how good the guy with your local franchise is. Their admin is crap though as there telephone person put me in touch with a franchisee about 16 miles away when there was a ChipsAway guy in the same town as me. I also enquired by email and only got a response to that about a month after I'd had the work done.
Old 07 February 2005, 07:26 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I used them too. Good but pricey IMO.
Old 07 February 2005, 09:41 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

used a company called sprint finish and as said above if you know where the repair was don you can JUST see. the lad who did mine was a spraypainter by trade so that prob helped too

mike
Old 07 February 2005, 11:20 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a few bits colour coded over the last few months by Colour TekniK here in carlisle and after seeing the aftermath of some mobile companies I'd take the car to a legit bodyshop or someone who knows how to use a spray gun and two pack laquer every time !!

Midlife....
Old 07 February 2005, 11:37 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I noticed whilst cleaning my mums car that it had a chips away type repair job done on the back bumper.

Nuff said really...If I can see it, it's a crap repair job!

Unsure who did it as it was done by the previous owner, but it's definetly a micro-repair so it is likely to be a franchise or similar chips away affair.
Old 07 February 2005, 11:45 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

god knows what paint they used on my old dears car.
When she bought it, the dealer scuffed the bumper getting it out of the showroom, said they'd get it fixed and sent this chipsaway bloke out to do it, looked a good job, couldn't really tell the difference......

Until I had gossy come out and valet mine and hers....
That corner of the bumper went all blotchy, not gossys fault, he was all apologetic bless... he spent ages trying to polish it out.
The blotches never completely went to this day..

However if you want em to touch up stone chips and generally tidy the car up before resale, it's a bloody good idea.

Andy
Old 09 February 2005, 12:37 PM
rshales007
Scooby Newbie

I had Chips Away fix some scuffs on the corners of the front bumper on my girlfriends Golf. I wasn't impressed at all. I inspected in when he had supposedly finished but it felt like sandpaper there was so much overspray. I told him I wasn't happy, so he carried on polishing it for another hour but it still wasn't that good. The car was a pearlescent blue Mk1 GTi Rivage Cabriolet which is quite a tricky colour to match. It ended up costing me £150. I wish I'd gone to a professional bodyshop and got the whole bumper resprayed. That way, I'd have got rid of the stone chips as well.

As mentioned above, the quality depends on how good your franchisee is.
Old 09 February 2005, 12:48 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chap at work had one of these companies do a scrape on his quarter panel (328 estate). it was a poor finish - lacked the sheen of the original paint althought the colour match was passable. there was also slight paint "sag".
Old 10 February 2005, 01:10 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

It all depends on your local chap as its a franchise I had a guy out to do mine looked ok.....but as above the laquer went funny and blotches started to appear hardly noticeable if you wax it but a normal wash shows it up.......
Old 10 February 2005, 03:29 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

I have had a few bits of work done - really impressed, honsetly cannot see where they've painted and I am really pretty fussy about that sort of thing. As said anyone can pay to set up a chipsaway frachise and start work after a bit of training so quality varies. I used the place in St Albans, Herts. They have an actual centre where you can drop your car off at and they give you a free courtesy car. I got a bumper scuff done, a door dink and some stone chips for much less than the cost of a bumper respray. If you want more than one job they really seem to do good deals so ideal to go when you have notched up a few bits and pieces. I know of someone who had a small crash repair done by a different chipsaway place and it looks rubbish, don't know if the guy was inexperienced or if the job was just too big for him. Also I think a full paint job is just the same in that quality will vary.
Old 10 February 2005, 04:11 PM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

i had some work done on my old Clio Williams a few years back after some tw@t spilt something on my rear bumper and took it back to the bare plastic, after they had done it it was a perfect match and you would never know it had happened, plus he also touched up the rest of the car for the same price as the mixture was there. I had the rear bumper, front bumper and bonnet stone chips done and a small scratch on the side all for 89 quid, couldn't fault the service to be fair.

Mark.
Old 07 January 2006, 11:52 PM
JTM
Scooby Regular

BTTT!!

Old 08 January 2006, 10:59 AM
Blue94WRX300
Scooby Regular

Some stupid bint reversed into my scooby about 4 months back, and it deeply scuffed the rear corner/side of the back bumper...

Had a few quotes from respectable bodyshops in the stoke-on-trent area ranging from £180 - £350 to fill/fix the plastic and respray the whole bumper.

I then tried my local chipsaway guy who has his own spray booth and he is absolutely **** hot... he ended up respraying the whole bumper the same as any bodyshop but it only cost me £90.

All depends how good the person is really but that's the same for everything i guess... don't let the name put you off, most of them adopt traditional painting methods but don't attempt to rob you blind in the process!!

kim.
Old 08 January 2006, 11:44 AM
mr incredible
Scooby Regular

Angry

I had a small bumper scratch on the back of my mica blue classic(now gone) done by one of these outfits,forget who it was,AND IT WAS S##T.
I would not let someone who mixes paint out of the back of a van in your
driveway touch my car again .
Warning, this is my own opinion from personal experience and i may be wrong.
Cheers!!
Old 10 January 2006, 09:11 PM
Woody1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mr incredible
I had a small bumper scratch on the back of my mica blue classic(now gone) done by one of these outfits,forget who it was,AND IT WAS S##T.
I would not let someone who mixes paint out of the back of a van in your
driveway touch my car again .
Warning, this is my own opinion from personal experience and i may be wrong.
Cheers!!
I seen it and it was crap. Looked like it had been polished with a brillow pad !!

Just had some touch ups done on my car (keyed door and bad scratches on various panels each with their own story !!). cost me £600, but no regrets about getting it one properly.

My advice, get it done properly and research before you spend