Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

SCOOBYSPORT - All's gone quiet???

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2004, 09:29 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCOOBYSPORT - All's gone quiet???

As above really two things :-

1 there was lots of interest and "hype"/"advertising" (if you know what I mean) regarding new products and test cars etc etc .......... whats happend???

2 there was more criptic info regarding a new improved sports cat downpipe???

any info on the above anyone?

hawk

ps come on simon I was on the list you know
Old 15 October 2004, 09:33 PM
subaru-impreza.org
Scooby Regular

Would like some more info too
Old 15 October 2004, 09:46 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

There's nothing here: http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/2c...0//compdetails

I was told that ATM Sport just bought most of the Scoobysport liquidation stock
Old 16 October 2004, 12:00 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=369297
Old 16 October 2004, 12:02 AM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

That's a nice exhaust
Old 16 October 2004, 06:20 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your interest guys, and apologies for less updates lately, this has been mainly due to there being a WRC event every two weeks for the last few months so it's been a little hectic.

However... I think it would be only fair to give you an update.. and this is the first time I've been allowed to give the full story (which I'm quite excited about! ) ...

--

Exhausts :
The exhaust sales have been better than I expected to be honest. The demand is a lot higher than I imagined it would be. This is great, as it has given us some development funds to improve the exhaust system (high flow cat, jap style (for those who are into it ), full 3" system, and general improvements to the design), and to continue to invest in the development of our other products...

Suspension :
I have to say, this is an incredible project. Working with the Graham Moore especially on the suspension system is a real eye opener and a privilige to witness. The way he analyses and develops is like nobody else I have ever worked with and his ability to cut through the "crap" and just get straight to the area that needs sorting out, is just awe inspiring.

The suspension is now in initial production and will be in durability testing within the next 3 - 4 weeks, so we expect to be able to launch this before xmas.

The system is (as standard) a single adjustable full strut with some great additional features, and then there is an option for the full 3 way adjustment with seperate remote resevoir. The clever thing, is that the standard single adjustable can be upgraded to the 3 way adjustable, so there is no need to go the whole hog if you don't want to, as you can just pay the difference later to have the full system

There are also a number of other great features to the system which I'll expand on if you have any specific questions...

But, the upshot is that I have NEVER driven anything that drives like this system. The can just feels supple, compliant, solid and very smooth whilst cruising around... but seems to just come to life when you throw it around.... It is an incredible achievement as it almost feels semi-active (although it is not) as it feels so comfortable and smooth, then transforms into this highly performant track style set-up when pushed.

I absolutely love it, and it is finally "the suspension I have always wanted", which means I just can't wait to show it to you all as you will be shocked as to what is possible when you take WRC engineering capability and apply it to our road cars.

The other great side of it is that it is fully adjustable and so can be set-up to suit you personally. We will be publishing settings to create different dynamics and will give it to you straight, without the "boy racer" rubbish

I'm going to tear myself away from telling you about the suspension now, but as you can tell, I'm rather excited about it

Active Diff Controller
It is difficult to pick which is the most fun out of the suspension project and this. The active diff controller we're developing, for those that haven't heard so far, is an ecu which automatically controls the DCCD centre diff on cars that have it fitted. it includes sensors and input of the following :

Steering angle
Throttle Position
Brake pressure
Wheel Speed
Boost (this part is new - and may not be necessary, but we're having fun with it currently)
Lateral Acceleration
Longitudinal Acceleration

The system works in a similar way to that of the current WRC cars and takes all of the inputs, decides based on a complex map (or combination of many maps - each of which can represent over 145 trillion possible combinations!!) what the diff should do in order to give the driver exactly what he / she's asking for. It absolutely transforms the car.

The system will be fitted as a small panel in the centre console just infront of the DCCD controller wheel. It has a digital display telling you what map is currently selected, buttons to perform functions such as changing maps, a USB port for uploading new maps, etc and a pot controller to allow fine tuning for different grip levels on the fly.

You will be able to download new maps from the scoobysport website as they become available and (using the provided scoobysport software) connect your laptop to the USB port and upload the new map. So next time you do a track day, take a look at the website and look for the "Donington Wet" and "Donington Dry" maps so you have them on standby! It's going to be great!

Timescale on this is more tricky, I think the extensive final testing on this will go for the majority of the rest of this year, and possibly into January. But I'll keep you informed.

There are a couple of other projects underway, such as an in-car data screen with logging and a few other cool functions, a top mounted intercooler with surprising (not as surprising to Andy F due to the great work he's done on his own car) efficiencies over both front mounts, and of course the more standard after market top mounts.. and a few others I can't even mention yet.

The good news on all of this...

is that - so far - we see no reason that any of this needs to be over the top expensive. It clearly won't be the cheapy end of the market, but it really is coming out as good as we originally hoped it would.

Can't wait to tell you more, and more importantly to show you all - as talk is one thing.. actually seeing it for yourself is very different

All the best, and thanks again for the interest.

Simon
Old 16 October 2004, 06:43 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Are you able to say at this stage which cars these products will be available for?
Old 16 October 2004, 07:05 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Volvo XC70s ?

Old 16 October 2004, 08:02 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

simon do you have the free(er) flowing cat available?

is it better than the one before?

if so please tell

hawk
Old 16 October 2004, 11:54 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

sounds good
martin
Old 19 October 2004, 05:11 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

ello ello ello

is there an echo in here?

Simon ello ive emailed and pm' you but you don't reply?

Is there a Scoobysport free'er flowing downpipe coming out?

Hawk
Old 19 October 2004, 07:51 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

The active diff stuff does sound very interesting but I have to ask, who really needs one of these?

I would think that you could count the poeple who would know how to use one on 2 hands from SN (me not included!) I gather its aimed at track people?

MB
Old 19 October 2004, 10:34 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Hi Chaps

Apologies for the slow response!

Which cars..
Suspension for the entire impreza range
Active diff controller for any car with a DCCD or DCCD-A

Sports cat.. yes we do. This should be available within the next few days actually and I'll make an announcement. It's quite expensive though.. looks like it's going to add at least another £200 onto the price.. are people really willing to pay that? It goes like stink though, and actually doesn't seem to affect the unique negative pressure of the scoobysport downpipe. We don't know why!! The flow is reduced slightly, but it's actually negligiable, which I was surprised at, although nobody else seemed to be!

--

DBM.. re "who would be able to use it?"..
That's the whole point.. This question is just like saying "ESP and ABS are great.. but who would be able to use it?".

"Inteligent" active systems like this are designed to aid the driver.

You will not need any special knowledge to use this, you'll just need to know how to drive a car

The great thing is that it will allow you much more confidence in your car and in many cases more safety as well.

Cheers

Simon
Old 19 October 2004, 11:18 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Any idea of likely lauch date for the "surprisingly efficient TMIC"?
Old 20 October 2004, 12:14 AM
m3matt
Scooby Regular

Hi Simon, sounds like exciting stuff. You mention that the suspension should be launched before Christmas, what sort of price are we looking at? Will it be competitive with the likes of Leda in terms of price and support?

thanks,
Matt

p.s. fancy an STi V3 Type-R as a test rig?
Old 20 October 2004, 08:28 AM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Hi hades

This one is progressing a little slower at present while we push the suspension to completion, so I'm not 100% sure. I would expect it to be a little after xmas, but you never know, it could have a sudden spurt!

Sorry we're not a huge operation with large departments developing things, so we have to channel our resources carefully and control our enthusiasm to develop everything in one go!

m3matt

I am expecting the suspension to be around £1500 for the single adjustable kit and about another £500 for the three way adjustable addon.

I have to say I'm delighted at this price as I was expecting at least another £500 on top of those prices, and even then it would have been cheap for what it actually is. In fact I'm a little worried we're under pricing it and people will assume it isn't as good as it is.

Difficult call.

Cheers

Simon
Old 20 October 2004, 08:55 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by ScoobySport (SdB)
I'm a little worried we're under pricing it and people will assume it isn't as good as it is.
Not at all, in fact I think you should offer deals on packages on sus' & zorst products, as a good will gesture
Old 20 October 2004, 09:57 AM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySport (SdB)
Hi Chaps

Sports cat.. yes we do. This should be available within the next few days actually and I'll make an announcement. It's quite expensive though.. looks like it's going to add at least another £200 onto the price.. are people really willing to pay that? It goes like stink though, and actually doesn't seem to affect the unique negative pressure of the scoobysport downpipe. We don't know why!! The flow is reduced slightly, but it's actually negligiable, which I was surprised at, although nobody else seemed to be!

Cheers

Simon
Simon i'd be up for one of these I'll email/pm you offline ref it
Old 20 October 2004, 10:45 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Thanks Simon I get it now.

MB
Old 20 October 2004, 04:23 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

mwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhh
Old 20 October 2004, 09:06 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hawkeye
mwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhh
Hawkeye - get that misfire looked at quick
Old 21 October 2004, 09:47 AM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Old 21 October 2004, 12:09 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Si,

Any idea on Price on the Active Diff?( Don't worry, We'll knock 500 quid off the price for the SDB fudge constant)