Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Days of Chelmsford grrrr

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2004, 05:17 PM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Days of Chelmsford grrrr

Has anyone had any form of good service from these guys?? I took my car in today for them to change the oil seal on the rear diff, when I booked it I asked if this was covered by my proven warranty and was told it was, I would just need to bring my warranty documents in with me.
You can imagine my surprise when I went to pick it up and was told "that will be £183 please sir." To make matters worse she joked "the part was only £6, the rest was labour" I naturally was not happy having to part with nearly £200 when I was expecting to just pick the keys up and drive home!
I went on to explain I had been told it would be covered under warrenty, the service manager then assured me I must have been given a quote as it was written down on their pad, this quote being £150, and did admit it was a little out and would look at bringing the price down to nearer the original quote. I assured him if I had been given a quote I would have tried other main dealers and other subaru specilists as I have done in the past, and have never taken my car there for any work or servicing as I have always found other places, including main dealers to be much cheaper. After some negotiations with his boss (out the back!!) he agreed to bring it down to £100 plus vat. I made a call to extreme scoobies to see how much they would charge as they kindly told me it would soon need doing after doing my last mot, was given a price of £67 from Knowlesy. (sorry for the call hope you didnt mind, at least I now know where to ALWAYS bring my car for mots and servicing etc) With this price quoted I made it clear this is where I would have taken my car and that is how much I would have paid and that was what I was willing to pay them. After some further discussion it was agreed, although despite the £67 quote being given as all in they said it was not including vat and would be £78. Not wanting to trouble Knowlesy again to confirm, I paid it and left feeling extremely pi$$ed off. Sorry for the length of post but I cannot beleive how a main dealer can get away with such bad service and extortinate prices, I for one will not be returning there again, and as my warranty soon runs out will not be tied to the dealers for my servicing. Thanks Knowlesy for the more realistic price which certainly helped me from getting completely shafted
Old 10 September 2004, 05:20 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Good old dazed at chelmsford, heard lots of stories about them, none too good
Old 10 September 2004, 05:25 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Phew, read it. Just shows, pays to shop around
Old 10 September 2004, 05:26 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

There service department is the worst service I have ever had!!

Keep well clear!
Old 10 September 2004, 06:31 PM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

Think i payed £50 fitted for that seal ok i had spent a huge amount on the car at the time also so there is why maybe but wasnt main dealer and especially dazed! only time i have used them was for a release bearing on friday afternoon for sat clutch change! also walked into the showroom wandered around for 15 minutes before deciding f**k this and walked out after being ignored. so wot if the works van was parked outside,there loss and my gain as i got the tuscan instead!
Old 10 September 2004, 06:35 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

I want my air con looked at, but I don't think days are going to get my cash,
Betts have had a lot of trouble from dazed because of gearbox problems, don't think they know what they are doing, perhaps they shoud stick to the Hyundai side of things
Old 10 September 2004, 07:39 PM
topoff
Scooby Regular

cheers lads i have got a 30k service due soon so I know not to take it there,
also what is extreme scoobies like?
Old 10 September 2004, 09:23 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Another ex Days user here. Have been using Wilsons recently, they did a dif oil seal under proven warranty, no arguments.
Old 10 September 2004, 09:58 PM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi All
Not defending Days, however I have not had anything but good service from them that includes 3 warranty jobs (Clutch & Flywheel, Gearbox and Alternator pulley) and my 3yr service..

When you say proven warranty are you referring to a 3rd party warranty or Subaru's extended warranty... Cos if 3rd party and it is covered surely you can claim the expense back from said company ??????

All the best
Pete (maybe one of the lucky ones)
Old 10 September 2004, 10:00 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by topoff
cheers lads i have got a 30k service due soon so I know not to take it there,
damn good mate, do a search on here, you wont find anything apart from good reviews.
Old 11 September 2004, 07:56 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

£62.28 all in.......should have called again........

fantastic, though I am slightly biased
Old 11 September 2004, 08:04 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

Ahhh so it was Days on the phone when you called & I did tell them it was an "all in price" which to me; means with VAT

I've never quoted an all in price plus vat
Old 11 September 2004, 11:46 AM
Pro Boy
Scooby Regular

Ive always check when booking it in on the day to ensure its a warrany claim and no cost to me at any garage. Again have used all 3 dealers in essex and excellent service 9 times out of ten, but that was when haddocks had just opened.

But looks like you got a great price at the main dealer in the end.
Old 11 September 2004, 02:28 PM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

They have a new service manager, so with all things change takes time.......I'm sure they'll be back up there & may even surpass some of the other dealers.
Old 12 September 2004, 08:23 AM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

It was extended subaru warranty. I forgot to mention as I took it to a main dealer I expected that dealing with these cars all the time they would have no need to be tempted to play, however I still took a note of the milelage.......7 miles put on clock when I picked it up, that sort of distance needed to check the seal fitted ok?
Knew it was £62, I should have called again!!
Old 12 September 2004, 11:56 AM
New_scooby_04

I've not had any experience of their service department, but did take a test drive there and I have to say that the salesman was a great bloke and I enjoyed the visit a great deal. I'd already decided that a Scooby was the car for me, but that kind of sealed the deal.

Of course, I got mine privately, dealers ask way too much for pretty much everything! However, credit where it's due: it was great to meet a knowledgeable, friendly, transparent and non-pushy dealer!

Best.
Old 12 September 2004, 01:12 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

bearing in mind thats only 3.5mls out and 3.5 mls back not defending them but if they didn't test it you took it away and the seal fell out and you needed a new diff bet you'd soon have a go about them not testing it
Old 12 September 2004, 02:55 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Been using days for the last year, so I've had One oil change and One 12k sevice. They have been fine and the standard of work good.

I Had them fit a Dipol lock and the quality of work was very good, I waited in the pub down the road, and they called me as soon as the guy had finished the work. 2hrs in all.

They fitted the PPP a few months back on my STI, the standard of work and care of the car was so good, that I couldnt see that any work had been done - apart from the PPP backbox and the extra power

A very happy days of Chelmsford customer
Just my experiances

Dipster
Old 12 September 2004, 06:38 PM
Pro Boy
Scooby Regular

Scooby boy agree with you cant complain if anything is wrong if it hasnt been test driven.
Old 12 September 2004, 09:07 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Haddocks did my diff seal under warrenty.
Old 13 September 2004, 08:44 AM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

Well its good to hear that not everyone has had bad service, still cant understand why days charged me 3 hrs labour to fit seal, and extreme scoobies would have only charged 1.
Old 13 September 2004, 08:57 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

I could charge you 3 if you want, "the customer is always right"
Old 13 September 2004, 09:00 AM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XtremeScoobies
I could charge you 3 if you want, "the customer is always right"
LOL
Old 14 September 2004, 11:13 AM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Unhappy ****/elbow?

Sorry to hear about your experience RB5201. I'm another dis-satisfied Days customer. Had multiple run ins with their useless service department. Ended up writing to the GM (who ignored my correspondence) and IM (who initially helped but then lost interest).

1st time the car (RB5) was in for a service and I asked them to look at the drivers front window which wouldn't close properly with the door closed. Car returned stinking of cigarette smoke and with both window switch plastic housings broken.

2nd time the car was idling unevenly. They found nothing wrong. "No ECU error codes!" Took the car to Xtreme Scoobies who diagnosed immediately a faulty Lambda sensor. They replaced it there and then. Car good as new.

3rd time car "coughing" as revs drop past 1000rpm to idle. Days tell me "It's my loud exhaust?!" Take it to Wilsons who find the cambelt changed at the last service (guess who) is fitted incorrectly.

Conclusion, will not take my car to Days ever again and would advise others against doing so.

If they have a new service manager, as Knowlsey says, lets hope for their sake he's an improvement over the old one.

Finally, as I've now sold the RB5 and have a WR1 instead I've got to return to main dealer servicing . So that's Haddocks or Wilsons.
I'm sure you're already aware, but there's non better than Xtreme Scoobies in this area.

Blobster
(Note to self - must pop in and say hi to Knowlsey)
Old 16 September 2004, 01:17 AM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by AllanP
Another ex Days user here. Have been using Wilsons recently, they did a dif oil seal under proven warranty, no arguments.
Likewise, mine was sorted out by Roger at Wilsons. He made the necessary phone calls to Proven. I dropped the car off, got it back 2 hours later, job done.

As for Xtreme.... I suppose they're alright