Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Scoobysport- beyond the call of duty.....

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2004, 11:39 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scoobysport- beyond the call of duty.....

Some of you may remember seeing a thread I satrted a couple of weeks ago re. a problem I was having with a backbox that I had bought from Scoobysport about six months ago.

When it arrived I noticed it didn't look to clever, the workmanship not being *quite* what I had expected, but I was so glad to get rid of the enormous Jap thing I had on that I fitted it anyway.

My immediate surprise was at how quiet it was.

Anyway, fast forward a few months. Sick as a parrot that there were still no pops or bangs, and with Scoobysport having 'closed down', albeit temporarily, I decided to get an original 'scoobysport' stylee H&S backbox.

When I took off the other backbox to fit the H&S I noticed it was quite badly tarnished, especially along the welds, and there was some surface damage to the box which i guess was caused during manufacture.

I posted this on Scoobynet, and was immediately contacted by the 'new' Scoobysport offering to help.

To cut a long story short(er), I sent the rogue backbox to Janspeed. They inspected it and immediately sent me a brand new sparkly shiny one!

A couple of points I'd like to make;
  • I had no contract with the 'new' Scoobysport, as it was the 'old' Scoobysport that supplied the box. Thus 'new' Scoobysport were under no obligation to replace, or deal with the warranty claim, nor, as far as I am aware, were Janspeed. This was a massive gesture of goodwill (and yes, cynics, PR).
  • The new box is of a massively superior quality to the one I returned. There is some question as to whether janspeed actually made the box I returned, and I believe that they are to open it up and see what is inside. From my fairly extensive experience of the sheet metal industry, TIG welds done by robots should not look that different- and these were massively different.
  • The new box sounds completely different to the one I sent back. The soundtrack of pops and bangs, missing from the box I returned, came with this one and I'm sure it will perform more as it cokes up.
So, the million dollar question is- (its a rhetorical question, I'm not looking for an answer)
Was there a third supplier of backboxes to the 'old' Scoobysport during its twilight years, a supplier that none of us were aware of?

We'll probably never know the answer to that one. My feeling is that it wasn't a Janspeed box that I sent back, as the quality was different, to be polite

Anyway, massive thanks to the guys at Janspeed, and also to the new team at Scoobysport- long may you all prosper
Old 29 June 2004, 10:01 AM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi RRH

Thank you very much for the report and for the very kind words

I'm absolutely delighted that you're keeping the new box on your car now and you're so pleased with the quality. This is why I was so surprised about your initial comments about the quality of the old box.

You've been incredibly honourable, especially in agreeing to test the new box rather than simply accept the refund that we offered. I'm glad it's worked out for you

All the best, and thanks again

Simon