Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

TSL's master mappers get the power!

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2003, 04:52 PM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

A big thanks to all the guys 'n gals down at TSL. I spoke to Richard and Graham about my previous Tek 2 from PE regarding whether I needed to upgrade the fuel pump.

They told me that my standard pump would indeed be going like the clappers to deliver enough fuel and that they could do a lovely custom remap with an FSE pump for a decent price.

So in it went (at short notice too despite being mega busy with work pre xmas!). What can I say, WOW!!! What a difference, I'd thought it was good after getting the Tek 2, but it's miles better now. I used to get peak boost of 1.22 bar max with the Tek 2 and that wasn't until very high speed in 5th. Now I get more boost earlier on (reached 1.31 bar in 4th). The car goes so much better and the midrange surge is addictive.

The Tek 2's are very good, but anyone thinking of a Tek 3... Go for it, particularly if Graham and Richard down at TSL are going to be the ones doing the mapping!!

Thanks again TSL and have a great Christmas!!

Old 21 December 2003, 04:54 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

So what power are you running now and what did you have before?
Old 21 December 2003, 05:21 PM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Its hard to say really as TSL don't have a rolling road yet, and map on the road. When I had the Tek2 at PE it got 282BHP/280lb/ft on a hot day with heat soaked engine. I was told that as the ECU learned over the next week or so it would possibly get a touch better. Merv commented at the time that the car was getting excellent torque levels and that the limiting factor was fuel supply.

Richard at TSL told me how Tek2's have to be a safe middle road to safeguard against the degree of variation between individual cars. When they put the new fuel pump on the car and ran delta dash, there was as predicted a lot of over fueling at the top end (a very large safety margin). They sorted that, tweaked the ignition and boost and that was that. Incidently, Graham mentioned that he'd never seen a rex suck as much air as mine did (TSL blue/green panel filter) so I must have a decent one off the production line.

So as for final power, I don't know, meaybe the same?? But driveability has increased loads. I would guess (and it is only an uneducated guess) that with an optimised mixture and more boost that the car is running more power now. Whichever, one thing is certain, it is definitely a lot quicker.

I did ask Merv personally whether he thought it would be worth the money having a custom map with the new fuel pump. When he heard Richard Bulmer would be the man doing it he couldn't stress strongly enough that I should definitely get him to map the car (sang his praises big time, but then looking at his work history on TSL's website - I can see why!)
Old 21 December 2003, 05:28 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Suppose drivebility is more important anyway.
Old 21 December 2003, 05:57 PM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Yup, that's what I've always been told! The car feels more potent, Richard said that it's no use having 280 bhp if you don't get that till 6800rpm with minimal bhp up to that point which makes sense. Like I said though, I reckon it must be pushing a touch more with the new map!

I bought one of the supersonic turbosmart dumpvalves at their open day which it turns out was set too soft and was seeping some boost at the top end, so it was doubley worth the trip to find that out (I'd never have known as it all seemed fine to me before!)

Has anyone else on here had map work done at TSL then, what did you think of the result??
Old 21 December 2003, 06:01 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

I heard a mapper also say he had never seen an MY01 suck so much air,that was until we found the guy hadnt fitted his airbox correctly when he changed his filter.
I would check it out as if it is way above a normal scoobs level ask yourself why,saying its good from the factory is cr#p.

Just my two penneths worth.
I do agree though that Tek 3 is the way to go.

Zippy
Old 21 December 2003, 06:25 PM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input Zippy, filter is correctly seated and enclosed in the airbox, and even if it wasn't I strongly feel that 2 highly experienced and well seasoned engine mappers like Graham and Richard would have been suspicious of something not being right had the readings been too high??

As for your comment about 'good out of the factory' being cr#p, I think that is a bit of a generalisation as if all cars were equal out of the factory you wouldn't have to include high safety margins in postal Tek 2s for example. Also, one of TSLs reasons for only offering custom maps is the high degree of variability between cars they've seen historically, with 'no 2 WRXs being exactly the same' being one of the things said to me on the day.
Old 21 December 2003, 08:06 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

been thinking of getting them to do mine,you may have convinced me to go with them. are they open over christmas? i wonder if they could do it while i am off.
Old 22 December 2003, 08:53 AM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Donutman - DO IT!!!

I originally thought I was getting a Tek3 when I went all the way down to PE last summer. Turns out it was a Tek2 although Merv was fettling it on the rollers (hence thought it was a 3). I'd done some research and at the time felt that PE was the best place for my car to be done (had the decat up and down pipes done at the same time).

It wasn't until recently that I picked up on how the standard fuel pump wasn't up to the job of uprated power. Thats when I got speaking to Richard at TSL and discussed the likely benefits he could gain from my setup (Samco boost pipes, blue/green air filter, full decat and turbosmart VTA DV). I'm glad I did as the car now feels like it always should have, the Tek 2 was good but you can tell now that it wasn't particularly best suited to my car.

TSL are a class act, they have done a lot of work for me over the time past year and I have always been extremely satisfied with how they operate. Not sure on their opening times, but give them a bell (I doubt they can squeeze it in now, as they did mine last thursday and that was at a real push plus mine was a re-re-map which is a bit quicker). Whatever, you will be chuffed you did it.
Old 22 December 2003, 03:50 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Wink

I had mine done at TSL, along with fuel pump, sport cat and new exhuast system... made the previous PPP performance look very slow and tame.

I have to say Richard apart from being a very nice guy is also able to dumb things down enough for even me to understand and he does it without rolling his eyes or sound condescending.

Truely a great experiance getting the map done and the drive home.

I can't actually remember holding on to the steering wheel and thinking "Oh my God" while accelerating.

I wish this had been around when the PPP for the 01 came out!
Old 22 December 2003, 04:38 PM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Talking

Glad you're happy lads.. many thanks for the kind words

.. now.. no speeding over the holidays

Merry Christmas

Trouser
Old 22 December 2003, 04:49 PM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Wink

<looks crestfallen>
As if I would speed!
Old 22 December 2003, 05:25 PM
ScrappyDoo2
Scooby Regular

Cool

Paul,

No probs, and I'll try not to speed... Much! Could you do me a favour and pass on my thanks to Rich as he wasn't there when I picked up the car?

Hope you all have a great Christmas and a top New Year!!!

Cheers
Greg
Old 23 December 2003, 08:59 AM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Talking

.. Will do mate.. he's read this and his little face looks all happy and proud