Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Number plate problems with GTGrafix

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2003, 11:41 AM
horrgakx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just got off the phone to GTGrafix (www.gtgrafix.com) about my number plates ... this is the story, and note that this is my personal dealings so make your own mind up...

I bought a set of 'show' plates from GTG last year when I got the new reg number. I then re-designed them (twice) recently and again GTG made them up for me. I ran with the 'show' plates on the road in total for around 15 months until which time (ie. a couple of weeks ago) I got pulled by the plod and was told to get them changed (they issued a Vehicle Defect Notification form).

Because of the VDF I ordered a set of "legal import plates" from GTG which they duly sent, however the new plate's side margins on the rear was 8mm (should be 11mm) and the front top & bottom margins were 8mm (should be 11mm) and the character spacing was incorrect.

The MOT station then refused to stamp the VDF form because the plates don't conform because of the margin errors etc. so I sought advice from a service Police Traffic Officer at the West Cumbria Police HQ and after 45 minutes of measuring the plates and reading his manual he came to the conclusion that although the margins WERE incorrect he advised the MOT station (by use of my mobile) to pass the car and stamp the VDF, providing I replaced the plates with the correct gaps. So at least the VDF was sorted!

I pulled the plates off the car and sent them back to GTG who rang me the following day. The guy whom I spoke to was at best 'abrupt' and refused to remake the plates because "it's costing more on this phone call" and that he "couldn't afford to make replacements" (this is even after making my 4off plates at around £30 each!!!). Also he couldn't believe that the MOT station was squabbling over a few millimetres - but the fact is that the plates weren't what I ordered, ie. legal! Neither was he aware of the DVLA's requirements for imported vehicles and told me that these specs were "nowhere on the DVLA's website" even though I gave him the address where it was clearly stated (http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regm...quirements.htm). He told me that I'd have my money back and that, rather swiftly, was the end of the call.

So I'm now left with a car with no number plates on. Anyone got any suggestions of somewhere else that can trim plates to these specs please?
Old 08 July 2003, 12:37 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Fancy Plates do custom plates. I don't know their web site but a quick Google should see you right.

Steve
Old 08 July 2003, 12:39 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.fancyplates.com
Old 08 July 2003, 12:59 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

does sound a thoroughly unhelpfull phone conversastion & from my experiance uncharacteistic of GTGraphix, even if your ordering from elsewhere i'd still call GT back & ask to speak with someone in authority (presuming it was sum numpty on the line) to explain your displeasure with that level of service! Although doing a quick skim read of another HMSO site it says you have 5mm round top & sides & 13mm on the bottom i may of misred but if yer car is an import then print that off & keep it in glove box has helped anumber of folks out on other BBS's
Si
Old 09 July 2003, 10:30 PM
gtgrafix
Scooby Newbie

Wrong, I did not doubt or question anything you said. Yes, your problem is more trouble than it is worth and that is why we do not want to have to make another set of plates gratis only for some jobsworth to go over them with a micrometer. What gets me is that you were obviously well pleased with the plates and that is why you put them on the car. Hell, even the copper accepted them!! For you to come on here bitching is quite frankly pathetic. I've given you a refund for christ sakes !!!!!

My anger was more to do with the system and not yourself so please, don't take it personally.

gt grafix
Old 09 July 2003, 11:02 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

i sorry but if horrgakx ordered a set of legal import plates,and the ones that you sent do not comply then he is within his rights to get them remade by you for free.

for you to say
What gets me is that you were obviously well pleased with the plates.
he may well have been.to the naked eye they probably looked ok (i have not measured one set of my plates to make sure they are ok),but at the mot station they found they had the wrong spacing. so no matter weather weather it was .5 of a millimeter or 10 millimeters the plate you have supplied to conform with uk law are wrong,and should be replaced to ones that do conform.
Old 10 July 2003, 12:22 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

Is there some method of checking the validity of gtgraphcs post?

Can't believe the company would go on record stating ^your problem is more trouble than it is worth" and that he couldn't afford to make replacements when the materials cost about two quid plus around 10 mins labour

For £30 I'd want some significant creative input to the design! But given their attitude I'd be heading for court courtesy if my Barrister (Brother in Law). One paragraph from him would cost 10 times a set of plates and be recovered

The plates would probably get through the avaerage MoT but Defect Notice means the guy should check it complies and so should your supplier. He is authorised to manufacture of plates, write to DVLC asking them to remove it as he is producing llegal plates and request his licence be revoked

Old 10 July 2003, 12:29 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Stick with Fancy Plates

I've bought 3 sets of plates off them recently, (various sizes) and the service and price were excellent.

Online design and ordering too!
Old 10 July 2003, 12:58 AM
Little Miss WRX

Exclamation

Banshi,

The email address listed on their site is bouncing back my email requesting confirmation on the validity of said post.
If anyone knows of an email address I can contact them on, please pass it on to me or if someone from gtgrafix reads this, then please get in touch via my profile email.

Cheers,

Michelle.
Old 10 July 2003, 01:13 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

The email address in profile is certainly the one from the "official" website

Clicky
Old 10 July 2003, 01:58 AM
Dazza012
Scooby Regular

Cool

Now that's customer service for you !
Old 10 July 2003, 09:59 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I can confirm that the post purportedly by GT Graffix was indeed made by them.
Old 10 July 2003, 11:26 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Red face

WOW

I'll not take my business there again!

Steve
Old 10 July 2003, 12:59 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

shocked then as that does seam a very strange way to go about publicity Cant understand the logic of why they cant redo plates if they've already given you money back then in reality your asking for a set of plates with a now clear set of parameters in terms of spacing & paying in full Madness as i still luv my plates i got from them in a 3D carbon stylee & after a previous pi55 up brewery scenario i had getting a set of plates from a less reputable company (&the best part of a year it took to get plates redone again poorly & then get money back) i would still be tempted to use GT again purely cause i luv how they look but i do find the previous post/display of marketing a joke The bright side is you got your money back without a problem but i'm still dumbfounded
Si
Old 10 July 2003, 08:08 PM
Diandave
Scooby Regular

Have used both !!!!!!! Fancy Plates gets my vote.
Old 10 July 2003, 08:36 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Vehicle Defect Forms don't cover number plates as they are a vehicle licencing offence not a construction and use issue

Nothing to do with your plate probs
Just a thought!
Old 07 September 2003, 11:28 PM
Dazza012
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

WTF ! Nothing like good customer relations, unfortunatley that was nothing like good customer relations.
Business must be booming in the show plates dept.

[Edited by Dazza012 - 7/9/2003 11:30:32 PM]
Old 16 February 2009, 11:20 AM
Navimco
Scooby Newbie

Default My Experince with gtgrafix

I must say my experience with Gtgrafx was totally different. I found them to be courteous very professional and the plates I ordered arrived the day after I had ordered them. They now have a dedicated website for the number plates they make which has an excellent plate builder facility.

Last edited by Navimco; 18 November 2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 16 February 2009, 12:58 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Navimco
I must say my experience with Gtgrafx was totally different. I found them to be courteous very professional and the plates I ordered arrived the day after I had ordered them. They now have a dedicated website for the number plates they make which has an excellent plate builder facility.

Quality Acrylic Number Plates - Number Plate Makers
lol you do realise this thread is dated 2003 do you?
Old 16 February 2009, 10:58 PM
Navimco
Scooby Newbie

Lol....gosh did not realise.

Oh well, better late than never. :-)

They are good though.