Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

TSL - Question re. 6-pot Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2002, 11:04 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Fair enough Paul, but if you want to be upset with anyone direct the comments to Marc himself.

All I asked in my post was some feedback on the lack of instructions. I was specific in my meaning of 'lack of support' and did not imply that you hadn't spent any time with him on the phone (or otherwise).

I've already spent good money with your company and have been happy with the service, but not all of us are in the position to come to Nottingham and have them fitted by you. If I can simply hand over the kit to a competent garage and not have to worry about any funnies with these kits, then I'm happy. If it simply down to someones lack of experience with any kit, then that's understandable.

You've made it clear that they're are some instructions available and your advice and Marc's experience has given everyone a much clearer picture on installing this upgrade.

Afterall, that's all that was asked.

Thanks,
Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 12/4/2002 11:05:03 AM]
Old 02 December 2002, 11:50 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi,

I'd like to draw your attention to this post and wonder if you have any comments to add.

I'm looking to upgrade myself, but am a little worried with the lack of support (i.e. instructions) for this kit.

Marc appears to have sorted the problem himself, but it would be good to clarify the situation for everyone.

Thanks,

Stefan
Old 02 December 2002, 03:00 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why dont u get TSL to fit them? Not sure how much on top it would be but Im sure theyd do u a good deal. Obviously this depends on how far away from Nottingham u are?

Simon.
Old 02 December 2002, 03:31 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Hmm, considering I'm in Edinburgh I don't think that's an option.

Don't think it's much to ask that some instructions are supplied with any brake kit, AP certainly think it's worthwhile.

Stefan
Old 02 December 2002, 03:53 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Anyway, I see Marc has spoken with TSL now.
Old 04 December 2002, 09:09 AM
Trouser @ TSL
Scooby Regular

Angry

I am a bit upset about the comments of "lack of support"

We spoke to the customer PRIOR to his fitting of the kit on saturday morning for some 20 minutes to ascertain that he know what to do.. and offered to send some instructions immediately... He was rather indignant that we were implying that he didn't know what he was doing!

This not withstanding.... we gave more advice after on monday regarding bleeding etc... and we were informed at this point that he would "publicly annhilate us" for the lack of instructions that he didn't want

We were also told that he had lost some fluid whilst bleeding..the whole system through one bleed nipple... which i immediately replaced at our cost on next day carriage..

I can't pretend we get it right all the time.. but i think we tried pretty hard here.

We would always advise that brakes are fitted by a competent professional

cheers

Paul
TSL

Old 04 December 2002, 09:40 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't worry Trouser, the rest of us still love you.
Old 08 December 2002, 09:58 AM
Si James
Scooby Regular

Get brakes fitted by a professional mate, its nice to be able to stop your car!

If you can afford the brakes, surely you can afford to get them professionally fitted?

Si
Old 11 December 2002, 06:34 PM
marc_ely
Scooby Regular

Cool

Only just spotted this post...

>We spoke to the customer PRIOR to his fitting of the kit on
>saturday morning for some 20 minutes to ascertain that he know
>what to do.. and offered to send some instructions immediately...
>He was rather indignant that we were implying that he didn't know
>what he was doing!

First off: Yes I did speak with TSL on two occasions and they offered advice both times. Sadly the time I really needed it (when a DIYer is likely to be working - at the w/e) there was no-one there. It was more like 1 minute by the way.

Secondly: I was NEVER offered any written instructions, I was told they were "a bit basic and not worth having", therefore I didn't think they'd help.

>This not withstanding.... we gave more advice after on monday
>regarding bleeding etc... and we were informed at this point that
>he would "publicly annhilate us" for the lack of instructions
>that he didn't want

I think your raising this point says more about you than me there ;-)
I deliberately rang you back after your technician had annoyed me to let you have your say. I had not (and have not) brought TSL into dis-repute, people must make their own minds up.

>We were also told that he had lost some fluid whilst >bleeding..the whole system through one bleed nipple... which i >immediately replaced at our cost on next day carriage..

Through one nipple? Ej? Is this a further dig? I had bled the whole system through all nipples but was unclear on the order. Simple as that.

I have now had the brakes checked over at a local garage (who may of course be utterly incompetant but I doubt it) and all is well. I did a decent job of install afterall :-)
I think the brakes work well and I am sure they will be good on track.

If nothing else this has pointed out the lack of instructions with the kit, something I for one did not expect and may or may not sway future buyers. Simple as that.
It is no way detracts from TSL or their products and I am not remotely interested in a slanging match since I have better things to do.

Marc
http://www.impreza-p1.org.uk

[Edited by marc_ely - 12/11/2002 9:51:51 PM]

[Edited by marc_ely - 12/11/2002 9:52:59 PM]
Old 11 December 2002, 10:35 PM
Si James
Scooby Regular

Yes - DIy installation is always recommended for brakes on high performance cars. The use of professionals is never recommended......ha ha!
Old 12 December 2002, 12:35 PM
Mr Emery
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

TSL fitted my01 wrx 6 pot for free and gave me part ex on old 4 pots ( same time as wrxbob)

great service as normal

steve
Old 18 December 2002, 12:53 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I think that this complaint is more about the Hi-spec kit than TSL's dealings with you - the kit doesn't come with good enough instructions by the sound of it. That would be the case if you bought the kit off anyone - not just TSL.... so i think its a bit unfair moaning about TSL.....

I note that TSL were going to put together some of their own instructions - fair enough.

I've always found TSL to be very helpfull....

BUT

To be fair Mr Trouser - you do get a lot of free pub on this board - so you have to take some flak (with the rest of the good comments) for being so bleedin popular...

By the way..

WHAT ARE THE BREAKS LIKE?????!!!!!!!????????

ANY GOOD?????

How do they compare with other 6 pots????

Jza
Old 18 December 2002, 01:40 PM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Wink

James mate... come and have a drive... see what you think!

.. only way to decide i reckon..

Cheers

Trouser
Old 18 December 2002, 02:26 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Jza,

As Paul says, the only way to know is to try them yourself.

Unfortunately, how they compare to others is anyones guess unless you can a) see scientific and independant test results or b) try different types on the same car in some sort of controlled environment or c) talk to someone who has tested lots of different options.

I've looked at loads of big upgrades and found great reports from just about all of them.

Knowing TSL, if they were **** they just wouldn't sell them.

Stefan
Old 18 December 2002, 02:41 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

It's true that it's Hi-Spec who should take the flak for not providing instructions for their kit and yes, if you bought the kit from anyone else, you'd get the same deal.

Is it fair to have a moan at TSL? well, Yes as they are the supplier and it's marketed as a 'TSL Billet 6 335mm BIG Brake Kit' on their website and not just a Hi-Spec kit.

What sets suppliers apart is their ability to provide that extra support for a manufacturers product, otherwise we'd always stick with the person selling them at the lowest price.

It's good to see that TSL are open to any critiscism and are more than happy to sort out any problems.

I started the topic just to ask TSL what the situation is with their kit. It turns out that it's a Hi-Spec kit with TSL bundling in some Goodridge brake lines and fluid and Hi-Spec themselves don't provide any comprehensive instructions.

As too whether you actually require instructions with any brake kit as you should simply hand them over to a professional, well it seems strange that Prodrive and Subaru find it necessary to give instructions to Subaru mechanics for their parts. So I don't think it's unfair to give any manufacturer flak for not providing instructions with their products.

Stefan

[Edited by ozzy - 12/18/2002 2:43:21 PM]
Old 18 December 2002, 05:21 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Instructions or no instructions, they are still excellent brakes at an excellent price . . . FACT !

Its well worth the drive to TSL to have them fitted while yo drink their tea or nip to the local for a shandy!

Merry Christmas from a happy chappy

Bob