Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Buying Used - Dealer or Private

Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2000, 04:23 PM
Russ
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming the cars were the same spec, age and mileage (97 UK Std 5dr Turbo 35k-ish) should I pay extra from a dealer like Bell-Colvill or buy private? Bell-Colvill dont seem to have a good reputation on the sales side but would any warranty be worth it?
Old 20 January 2000, 04:26 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Russ, I bought mine last year, I didn't understand the importing side that well, so didn't go down that route. I got mine from a pucka scoob dealer, just because of the warranty issues.

If you do buy it privatly, get it checked over by a mechanic that knows scoobs.

Dan
Old 20 January 2000, 05:18 PM
wideybrook
Scooby Regular

Talking

Russ

You do not have to buy from a dealer to get a warranty.

UK Impreza's have a 3 year warranty anyway, but even then you can go to Motor Warrant Direct, a warranty for my 95 WRX cost me £198.

If you buy private get the car checked out by the RAC. Also buy a copy of Used Car Buyer, its full of usefull advice.

Buy from a dealer if you can afford to throw money away.

After the way I have been treated by Subaru UK I will never buy a car from them.

(Do I sound bitter and twisted?)

[This message has been edited by wideybrook (edited 20-01-2000).]
Old 20 January 2000, 06:10 PM
Russ
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the advice.

I've talked to a private seller who is selling a 97 car, sounds clean but it's had two new clutches on warranty to fix a judder problem (the first one didn't fix it apparently) - does this sound like a more serious problem, should I avoid?

Any experiences of buying at Bell & C worth sharing?
Old 20 January 2000, 06:48 PM
Mark Barrett
Scooby Regular

Russ,

I recently bought a MY98 from Bell and Colvill.

The only reason I chose them is that they had a Sonic Blue UK car from Northern Ireland. The only Sonic Blue (none special edition that I could find - had to have it!!)

The experience was neither good nor bad. They did the job and the extras that I bought (mats, headlight covers, bootliner) were all fitted to the car when I picked it up. They had forgotten the spare key, but this was available for me to pick up the next day.

I guess the next hurdle will be the warranty work (minor niggles) that I will ask them to do at the next service.

So far I couldn't say don't go there, but others have had a challenge to get a working car out of them first time!!

Incedentally. I bought my car on November 1st, and when I went back in late December, none of the stock had changed. Therefore, if they are still sitting on the same cars there could be some haggling to be done ( I would suggest haggling on extras like warranty, aircon, audio etc) rather than reductions, as this often costs them less off their bottom line than a cash discount.

I still have the November stock list, so if you want to let me know whic hcar you are looking at I could tell you if it was there in Nov and therefore hanging around for a while.

Also, buy next week (or at the end of a month) as they will be coming under pressure for monthly figures and your leverage as a customer is improved. Go in- act serious and be prepared to walk away. Then either wait for the phone to ring or go back a few days later and show slight interest. Watch the deal get better before your eyes.

Hope this helps
Old 21 January 2000, 09:56 AM
russellw
Scooby Newbie

Smile

2 peas in a pod !

Russ, I currently have a 97R, UK 5-door Turbo in dark met.green for sale (sourced from Bell & Colvill) - weird or wot !

31k miles - same as B & C current used stock only my one has Air-con, Clifford alarm, Tracker, etc.

Priced at c.£15,000

If you are interested E-mail me at rwiddecombe@hotmail.com

What do I think of Bell & Colvill ?
Sales - poor
Service excellant if a bit pricey.

Another Russell

[This message has been edited by russellw (edited 21-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by russellw (edited 21-01-2000).]