Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

ahhhhhhh!!!!i am sick of this, help!!

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 1999, 07:54 AM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Help, i have tried 4 dealers in the south yorkshire/lincs area and not one of them can solve my/wife buzzy exhaust! heat shield or what. i will travel to any part of the country to get this solved!!help, please!

ps even essex!!;>
Old 16 September 1999, 10:29 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

If it is the heat shield you will probably get the "noise" at a certain rev range. Mine used to be really noticable as I slowed down. There are 4 bolt holes which can split from main part of heat shield, or the thing can also split anywhere and vibrate. I've now had mine welded twice (cheaper than a new one) and fixes the noise until the next time! Anyone with a welder should be able to help if it's the shield. Tap it hard and see if you get a noise!
Tim
Old 16 September 1999, 11:03 AM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Stephen

check out the faq; to save time here's the bit that might offer a longer term solution:

hope it helps
Paul
STi5

3.3 Exhaust manifold heat shield
Heat shields were a common fault on pre-'97 cars, as these cars do not have the tray under the engine bay. It is possible for road water to splash the very hot shields caused them to fracture. They then resonate, as the two sides of the crack vibrate together. This is a warranty fix, but if it's the one where the left and right side pipes join, (by far the most common one to fail - this is a very hot area) then the dealer should pack the lower shield out by 3mm. This lowers the temperature of the shield and it will then last much longer, if not forever. The owner who came up with the 3mm spacer trick had got through 3 shields in 15,000 miles and was used to driving a car that buzzed. It has never failed since.
Old 16 September 1999, 11:07 AM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

cheers but its a 98 still under warrenty