Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

PE: 99my chip?

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 1999, 08:10 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave, is there likely to be a 99my chip upgrade?
Old 06 September 1999, 04:47 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Question

Nothing yet?
Old 06 September 1999, 06:20 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the problem is that the 99 does not have a socket that allows external modules to be plugged in.

One might wonder how difficult it would be to use a 98 ECU and remap it..surely the sensors/wiring is the same ?
Old 06 September 1999, 09:03 PM
Benny Boy
Scooby Regular

Cool

There have been a lot of postings on this in the past. The current situation is that they are still working on it. Just have to be patient.

I have downloaded the 2 threads for my own personal records if you don't have any success in the archives.

Benny
Old 07 September 1999, 09:26 AM
Darren Soothill
Scooby Regular

There are alot of differences between the 98 ECU and the 99 ECU for starters it has a different number of sockets and runs twice as fast as the previous ECU. The remapping of the ECU is not a plug a module in but they reprogram the ECU itself.

Darren
Old 07 September 1999, 01:05 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Lee

I'd prefer a less obvious upgrade than a 98my swapout. I'd like to pretend to my dealer that I still have a warranty!
Old 08 September 1999, 04:04 PM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

David,
When you say some progress does that mean you have the hardware needed yet?
If not, why is it such a problem to get hold of it?

Cheers

Craig
Old 09 September 1999, 08:00 AM
Phil R
Scooby Regular

Question

David,
Like everyone else with a MY99 I am waiting to see the results of an upgraded ECU.
There are obviously other things I can do to improve the response of the engine.
I intend to replace the air filter and exhaust system, but intend to keep the air box in place.
From your dyno results is this the right way to go wrt throttle response, are there much differences between a backbox and a "from the turbo back system" and I have read you have some details of the types of air filters to use and which is the best compromise.
Thanks.
Old 09 September 1999, 04:03 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know if Prodrive replace the MY99 ECU or actually reprogram it. If someone could in someway mark their ECU prior to PP upgrade we could find out. If prodrive do reprogram, then we know it can be done. Otherwise, they would appear to be wasting an awful lot of good standard ECU's (which I doubt). I would imagine Standard/Prodrive/WRX/STI ECU's are all born the same (blank), and therefore be programmable (initially at least).

Maybe this gives some hope to the masses.

Good luck David, I hope all this development time/cost dosn't push the price up too much. I'm holding out for the PE upgrade, even though I drove a 99PP car last weekend and was sorely tempted.
Old 09 September 1999, 04:21 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Prodrive replace the ECU because you get the old one back when you pick the car up.
Old 09 September 1999, 04:53 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

This is to Dave Power,

Just a quick question...

What electronic design/analysis skills have you got in house ? Or do you contract this out? Who did you use to develop the Phase One upgrade ? Or was that using a standard "automotive" pin-out/piggy back format, so it was quite straight forward ?

J.
Old 10 September 1999, 08:17 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

not got my scoob yet, but it sounds like its under a month now!

I will hopefully be going this route myself, for two reasons, 1, this forum seems to believe there is not better method then the DP solution when you look at reliability and 2, as you say its non detectable by anyone.

I personally would accept something that is visible if it can be removed prior to taking to the garage (i.e. a piggy back ECU, or a carrier, something along those lines), but obviously the optimum solution is a re-programmed original.

Mr DP sir, will you develop something closer to a Superchips solution if your efforts to reprogramme turns up a blank?

robski
Old 10 September 1999, 09:52 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi there,

There is nothing to develop for the superchip method. All they do is chop the voltage signal from the sensor (looks like its running lower boost) and they fit a bleed valve. You can make the kit for about 20quid (tops) or buy it for about 80 quid. If you were going to go that way (wouldnt recommend it)I would at least fit an electronic boost controller (even possibly an AFR device) to slightly richen the mixture (if needed).

Have you looked at the Link device (complete replacement ECU)? or any Jap products ? HKS ? Apexi ? They all offer Fuelling and Ignition computers that can work with or replace the standard ECU.

If DP cant find the solution from his sources (other companies), then I would consider the Link (is the wiring loom available for a V) ?

Cheers,

J.
Old 10 September 1999, 10:12 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

sorry, my fault for not being clear.
When I said the superchip method, I meant, adding a bit of hardware to "change the signals". I didnt mean a crude mod as they do, but for Dave to do a more complex one.
Sorry for this confusion.

robski
Old 10 September 1999, 02:40 PM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Talking

David,
Is it possible to buy shares in your company. I think you're gonna be rich when you crack it!
Not to mention making a lot of people happy!
Just a thought - Prodrive ECU's are modified by STi. Does that make them grey!!!
Obviously not 'cos IM make probably £1k clear profit per one unit. So that's alright.
Old 13 September 1999, 10:54 AM
Orville
Scooby Regular

bash,
The PP car I drove was a dealer demonstation model. As the dealer was in the car with me I couldn't really give it a good thrash but the difference was clearly noticed. My standard MY99 felt very slow in mid-range after the PP car. As a comparisson I would say the difference between the standard and PP cars is the same as the difference between a standard car with driver only versus the same car with 2 or 3 heavy passengers on board. The PE Phase 2 (when cracked) should give even more usable power.

regards
Andy.

Old 16 September 1999, 08:22 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Prodrive have a chip for MY99 - part of PPP??? - so surely it can be done
Old 16 September 1999, 10:05 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

The Prodrive PPP is not a chip, it is a totally new ECU, the whole thing is reprogrammed. Not the same as a remap or mod by a third party.