Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Warranty Holdings

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2002, 08:57 AM
BrianP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the oil pump failed last year on my RA causing complete and utter engine failure, inc. crank, 4 pistons, conrods, basically the works - they refused to pay out on the basis that the oil pump is a servicable wear and tear item

PS: I no longer have this car.

Brian

[Edited by BrianP - 6/1/2002 8:58:12 AM]

[Edited by BrianP - 6/1/2002 8:58:42 AM]
Old 31 May 2002, 06:09 PM
normarker
Scooby Regular

I'm picking up a scooby tomorrow, silver MY98 wagon, dealer (Autoterminal), UK car, 71000miles with a good FSH. Is it worth spending £620 on a two year warrantee(sp)or are they that reliable?
(1 year would be £490)
Old 31 May 2002, 06:14 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There have been good and bad things said about Warranty Holdings. Perhaps do a search in google and see what stories come up.

Sorry, just did and couldn't find much. It is difficult to know who to believe to be honest, but I was offered a policy when buying and declined when I heard another of the importers customers was taking legal action over a policy which did not pay out. The car then fell through from this importer anyway.

[Edited by john banks - 5/31/2002 6:18:33 PM]
Old 31 May 2002, 06:39 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day they are all insurance companys insuring against the mechanical parts of the car instead of bodywork. And we all know what insurance companies are like?...if they can get out of a claim then they will do, and that goes for all of them not just WH. I wouldn't be surprised if any after market warranty company refused to pay out on any high claim just becuase of the amount involved, it doesn't matter if its covered in black and white, you'll have to take them to court on major expensive problems.

My brother had a warranty through another company I might add, when he bought a new engine, and becuase he set it up on a rolling road to sort out the fueling, they deemed this as a "racing modification" and refused to cover when another problem occured a few months later. He mentioned he was going to set it up on the rolling road beforehand and was told OK, but they denied the conversation when the claim came through even though the parts were covered.
Old 31 May 2002, 06:45 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I hope this isn't moderatored as libellous but in my own experience I think WH are untrustworthy. They refused to pay out on a Porsche Turbo I had even thought it had been fully serviced at the official Porsche dealer just to maintain the warranty. The guy on the phone virtually admitted that they would only pay out if they were forced to. Apparently they pay out a few just to keep the dealers happy to continue using them.

I now think its maddness tobuy extended warranties and its a heads they win, tails you loose. Either nothing goes wrong so you've wastedyour money or something goes wrong and they refuce to pay, in which case you've wasted your money. Its a gamble so instead take your £600 + and give it to yourlocal bookie on the next race. At least they tend to payout!
Old 31 May 2002, 07:20 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
I had a 2 year policy with them on my sti, they wouldnt replace a bearing in the clutch. They put it down to wear and tear even tho the car had done very low miles.

The when i swapped the car after 6 months and asked to terminate the policy and recoup any money i had paid out (some £580) and they said no.

So basically i wouldnt bother with these companies again.
Old 31 May 2002, 07:21 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If I where you I wouldn't touch WH with a barge pole.

This is my personal opinion.

David

Trending Topics

Old 31 May 2002, 08:19 PM
normarker
Scooby Regular

Well, nothing positive so far
Why are they trying to sell me one, do they get a rake off or is it a get out of jail card for them?
Old 31 May 2002, 08:35 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

One further point is that they prefer "sudden failures" not gradual failures. So if something goes wrong it had better go wrong big time and be specifically itemised in the small print. I would go for a main dealer warranty but aftermarket versions are commission generators for the trade. Once bitten.............
Old 01 June 2002, 10:10 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

We will not do warranty work for them.

All parts have to be completely stripped for inspection, sometimes adding £100's, which the customer must pay for and isn't recoverable.

Almost always, after stripping the parts down, the claim is rejected anyway.

I also favour putting the money on a horse. If it loses, you are in the same position, if it wins, then you have enough to pay for any failures
Old 01 June 2002, 11:40 AM
normarker
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone, I think this indicates a slight lack of confidence and enthusiasm for WH, on balance (!) I think I'll give them a miss.
On another subject, how long can I expect a turbocharger to last before it goes **** up? A friend of mine (Nissan 300ZX turbo)has been told to expect 60-75k which is worrying as my car is on 71k
His Z is another story altogether.
He bought it last month, '92 K with 98000 on the clock. Being sensible he had the cambelts changed by a Nissan garage. They failed to clip two pipes up so he lost water a bit and took it back to be checked out and fixed. 1 mile after getting it back it lost all the water and blew a head gasket, well two actually, one on the car, one in his temper. He wouldn't let them touch it and insisted it went to Falcon Engineering at Nissans expense.
These guys are a revelation he says, they went through it with the proverbial fine tooth comb and really know what they're on about.
Nissan are a bit miffed at the bill, it stands at £3500 and rising.
They changed one of his turbos, hence my question
Old 01 June 2002, 12:34 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

normarker,

On the WH issue, I got a year's WH warranty when I bought my Legacy RS and took a further year's warranty out after the first year. I thought about claiming when one of the rear dampers went but, reading the small print of the warranty document from cover to cover, I reckoned I'd be lucky to get anything from them. So, I let the cover lapse after two years and, under the terms of the extra year's cover I took out, claimed back the cost of the premiums I'd paid. They didn't refund everything, but did refund probably 80% of what I'd paid, which I thought reasonably fair. I would echo Pete C's comments regarding the value for money of these policies though and wouldn't spend money on one again.

Re turbo life, my Legacy had 95k miles on it when I sold it last month. I had the turbos removed and inspected at around 85k miles and they were fine. I have a friend who has run an old Legacy turbo for over 140k miles with no turbo problems.

Brian
Old 01 June 2002, 12:44 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Took one of these out a month ago against my better judgement.Does anybody Know if its possible to cancel the policy and have the money minus one months cover returned?
Old 01 June 2002, 01:38 PM
DeerHunter
Scooby Regular

Wouldnt touch any unless it has a subaru stamp!
Old 01 June 2002, 03:22 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Unhappy

Singh, as i have said above i took out a 2 year warranty with them. I changed the car after 6 months and tried to get something back, they basically told me no way.

Old 01 June 2002, 05:42 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Thanks nuttah
Old 05 June 2002, 01:13 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I'd second all the comments so far, i got a WH policy free with the car (3 months) in that time they refused to pay for a power steering pump, radiator and i think another item (didn't have a good time when i first bought the car ). They then asked if i wanted to extend it when the three months were up, told them to stick it up their ****!!!!!

I'd keep the £600 pounds and keep your fingers crossed .

Tony.
Old 06 June 2002, 10:05 PM
richbay
Scooby Regular

anyone tried www.warrantywise.co.uk are these any good
Old 08 June 2002, 01:21 AM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Im about to pick up my STI 6 and want some sort of warranty! Any recommendations?? NOT WH
Old 08 June 2002, 02:24 AM
rhybeck
Scooby Regular

i've been told to stay away form Warranty Holdings by someone at s.s.