Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

HELP! fcuked my computer

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2002, 11:10 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!

I had a XP PC with an IDE drive C which the system booted off, and a SCSI drive D which actually held all the XP system files.

In preperation for my new larger IDE drive I thought I'd rebuild XP onto the IDE drive C. did a new install last night, all looked well. Rebooted into the 'new' XP got online and used windows update to update the system.

From then on it wouldn't boot Came up with errors saying ntoskrnl was missing or corrupt. I could boot the old XP and the file was there and seemed fine.

So did another install, this time when it boots I don't get the bootloader at all, it just sits there.

I can boot off a floppy, downloaded the MS XP 6 boot disks and built them on another PC, it loads fine and can see the partitions, but if I try an install, after it copies all the files it sits there and won't boot.

I can go into the repair console and see the 2 disks, done a fixmbr and the other fix command,and still no joy!

Anyone got any ideas?

cheers,

greg
Old 28 May 2002, 11:51 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

to me it looks like something is wrong with the boot info, could something like partition magic help me out?

greg
Old 28 May 2002, 01:33 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

Had similar problems with the bootloader. Try taking a new copy of NTDETECT and NTLDR from the I386 directory on the XP CD, and putting them in the C root directory. Did the trick for me.
Old 28 May 2002, 01:59 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Yup on the bootloader problem. I think XP is getting confused because u have two copies of XP installed. So u need another boot manager to cope with it like partition magic's.