Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT Home Hub 5 and Wireless

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2014, 12:36 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default BT Home Hub 5 and Wireless

I wonder if any of you internet guru's can help.

I've switched from Virgin to BT Inifity. All good so far, and recording better speeds than my virgin broad band did.
However, one gripe I have is the wireless. Maybe its just me, but I don't like having the wi-fi on all the time.
With Virgin, there was a button on the modem, to turn the wi-fi on and off. with BT there is not. So I have to log into the modem via a wired connection, to turn the wi-fi on. Bit of a pain sometimes, as it means firing up the main pc when I don't need to use it.

As fas as I'm aware, my two potential options are:

1: A new modem with switchable wi-fi connectivity.
2: Adding a smaller wireless acces point to one of the 4 ethernet ports on the BT Hub.

Does anyone have any advice on which is best? I also run homeplugs from the modem to provide a wired connection. I've seen plug in wireless extenders, but as far as I know, they are not access points on their own.
Old 16 January 2014, 01:06 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any reason you don't like having your Wi-Fi on all the time?

For me it would be a PITA turning it on and off all the time. The fact I can just get home and the smartphone connects automatically, and I can use my tablet, laptop, etc. is great.

I'd cast aside your fears and just leave it on
Old 16 January 2014, 01:11 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

I've just never been a fan of doing it. Plus the modem is near my bed and I think it affects my brain waves. Its just too uncomfortable wearing a tin foil hat to bed.

Before, with Virgin it wasn't hassle. Just one button to turn on. So it didn't take long.
Old 16 January 2014, 10:58 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get hold of a HH3 that has the power save function?
I can kill wifi overnight mainly to stop my son trying to surf when he should be asleep.
Old 17 January 2014, 12:34 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Thanks. I'd rather get something new, than a used hub.

So something in additional to what I have.
Old 21 January 2014, 03:14 PM
paul98typer
Scooby Regular

You can get a brand new hub 3 off ebay, loads on there.
Can you move your existing hub somewhere else? Is it plugged into the main nte or a data extn socket? Bit of a pain if the wire comes straight threw the wall into the back of the nte/extn but if its fed by internal wiring its no big job.
Old 21 January 2014, 08:09 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Buf if its just a wifi power save function, then its not what I want. I'd rather be able to turn thw wifi on and off whenever I need to.

Can't move the hub as bt only fittes the one line in there. Its where I wanted it anyway.

I think I'll have to bite the bullet and go into maplins to get a homeplug wireless extender. Although I can't tell if they can be used how I want. It seems they are only there to repeat a n existing signal, not create a new one.
Old 21 January 2014, 08:37 PM
paul98typer
Scooby Regular

If its the same as the sky wireless extender it just repeats the signal from the existing router so you would have to still go into settings and turn wifi off.

You could get a different router instead of the hub5, don't really know any specs or info on these other routers, seen a few in business premises but none in residential, there may be a wireless switch on one of these other routers.

Just make sure it is a standalone vdsl/modem router or you will need to have an openreach vdsl modem plugged in before the router.