Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone comment on this Sony TV?

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2014, 05:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Anyone comment on this Sony TV?

KDL50W656
Here:
Sony KDL50W656ASU 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Smart TV with Freeview HD - Silver: Amazon.co.uk: TV Sony KDL50W656ASU 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Smart TV with Freeview HD - Silver: Amazon.co.uk: TV

Available here in Scunny for £749 with free 5-year guarantee.

I don't want 3-D, (can't see it properly without my own specs, :rolleyes and am unsure about Smart, but that one IS smart.

My other choice is something like this: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-...28914-pdt.html

or this: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-...09848-pdt.html

Any comments?
Old 10 January 2014, 06:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Given the choice, I'd take the Sony over the Samsung.

Although personally I'd like to see it in the flesh; being a Sony doesn't automatically gaurantee it'll be to your liking. Be it from using it (remote/menu layouts etc) or picture quality (motion, black levels, uneven backlighting etc). Sound will be rubbish...all TVs now have terrible audio quality, so thats unavoidable.

If it has to be a edge lit TV, I would personally would prefer to sought after one with dynamic lighting (or local dimming) and better motion processing (called motionflow on Sonys), which is available on the higher market models and helps combat the flaws with this technology.

Cheaper here (where I bought my Panny from ): http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/Products/...Y/KDL50W656ASU

But you won't get a 5yr warranty on on-line purchases, but obviously online prices maybe good as haggling leverage when purchasing in a local shop.
Old 10 January 2014, 09:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It's supposed to have the dynamic lighting and motion processing. It doesn't have the tri-luminance thing, though.
I have seen it and it looks nice and has decent picture quality, esp compared to my present Samsung LCD, which, when viewed at anything other than head on, is washed out in the extreme. I was watching ManU in a clip the other day in pink shirts......
The TV has a very thin frame. If we aren't satisfied with the sound, I'll play it through my Cyrus hifi. Not interested in anything more than stereo anyway.

It's right at the top of my budget....I reckon TV is crap, I won't pay for Sky sports any more and haven't the patience to watch most films, preferring a decent book.