Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Is there a future in Windows?

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2013, 07:31 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Is there a future in Windows?

Is Windows really worth the hassle? Pretty much every serious computer user I know works either on OSX or Linux, the only people I hear championing Windows are Game players and there's hardly a future in that.

http://www.zdnet.com/why-ive-all-but...ws-7000023083/
Old 15 November 2013, 07:41 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless google manage to make a commercial success of Android for PC, I can see Windows maintaining its dominance of the OEM installation market.
Old 15 November 2013, 07:46 PM
grey_boy
Scooby Regular

dupe

Last edited by grey_boy; 15 November 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 15 November 2013, 07:47 PM
grey_boy
Scooby Regular

XBOX is windows OS so probably staying... do your research, this is not as clear as MS vs OpenSource my friend
Old 15 November 2013, 07:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Google are making headway with Chrome OS

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/features/

They're also giving away Google apps to Education, a nice tie in with a Chromebook.

So that's free sperating system, free office applications and excellent email.

Windows is pretty much the only OS that costs money and has the only office applications that cost money, I don't see how they can survive.

XP support is ending in months, that's going to cause another migration.
Old 15 November 2013, 07:48 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Xbox is losing money.
Old 15 November 2013, 07:58 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by grey_boy
XBOX is windows OS so probably staying... do your research, this is not as clear as MS vs OpenSource my friend
No one said it was. If chrome os takes off then odds are it will eat into microsofts market share as an OEM OS supplier.

Trending Topics

Old 15 November 2013, 08:22 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

If I was an Android users I'd be taking a serious look at Chrome OS, it just makes sense. Google will be trying to match iOS and OSX, not an easy task but at least they have a strong mobile market.

I think Chrome OS, not OSX will be the last nail in Windows coffin.
Old 15 November 2013, 08:30 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

For **** Sake, can't one of the admins just delete Jacks profile, does anyone actually care, do we need another Pro Apple Con Android/windows or what ever the **** it is, get a life you sad lonely old man.
Old 15 November 2013, 08:33 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
For **** Sake, can't one of the admins just delete Jacks profile, does anyone actually care, do we need another Pro Apple Con Android/windows or what ever the **** it is, get a life you sad lonely old man.
Reported.
Old 15 November 2013, 08:35 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Report me all you want, your just a troll with your Apple threads every day.

Your nothing but a sad old man hung up on a brand, grow up!
Old 15 November 2013, 08:51 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
Is Windows really worth the hassle? Pretty much every serious computer user I know works either on OSX or Linux, the only people I hear championing Windows are Game players and there's hardly a future in that.

What's the relevance of your "serious" context?

Desktop wise:
86+% is windows based
OSX and Linux combined don't even account for 10% of the market

I'm not sure I understand what you're really getting at.
Old 15 November 2013, 09:06 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

How many commercial company's use osx or linnux ?, the company I work for must have about 150,000 windows licence's. Its just one of many multinational company's. I would say 99% of this country are not serious computer users, so they will continue to buy laptops or towers pre loaded with the latest windows operating systems. I cant see Bill Gates worrying about switching to Premark or Lidl to do his shopping as his operating system is doomed. For the record my phone and tablet (ipad) are Apple and laptop netbook and tower is Windows. Phone wise I went from a Nokia 710 to I phone 5 and they are both much a muchness for what I look for in a phone.
Old 15 November 2013, 09:43 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Shaun
What's the relevance of your "serious" context?

Desktop wise:
86+% is windows based
OSX and Linux combined don't even account for 10% of the market

I'm not sure I understand what you're really getting at.
The serious users I know are Security Professionals, Web Developers and Media Types. People who make their living using computers, ones who have a choice over which machine they use.

Windows built up a healthy lead that's for sure, but we're discussing the future. If you were starting a new company and was offered a product that does the same thing, is more secure but for free wouldn't you consider it? Now that's been available in the past with products such as Ubuntu, but Ubuntu never gained recognition for developing operating systems in the same way that Google have with Android. It's going to be far easier to Chrome to enter the marketplace. Kids will begin to be trained up using Google Apps rather than MS Office, that's going to help a great deal.
Old 15 November 2013, 09:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by daviee
How many commercial company's use osx or linnux ?, the company I work for must have about 150,000 windows licence's. Its just one of many multinational company's. I would say 99% of this country are not serious computer users, so they will continue to buy laptops or towers pre loaded with the latest windows operating systems. I cant see Bill Gates worrying about switching to Premark or Lidl to do his shopping as his operating system is doomed. For the record my phone and tablet (ipad) are Apple and laptop netbook and tower is Windows. Phone wise I went from a Nokia 710 to I phone 5 and they are both much a muchness for what I look for in a phone.
Why would you as a home user continue to use Windows when you can get Chrome, a product designed to work with a well loved operating system that you already have in your pocket, especially when Microsoft will be asking you for £100 during the life of your product. Why would manufacturers continue to sell those products.

Lots of commercial companies have moved to Google Apps, a great deal in fact, all of those would be better off using Chrome OS.
Old 15 November 2013, 09:51 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Do you get Microsoft office on Google aps ? My company runs on Excel.
Old 15 November 2013, 09:55 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Do you get Microsoft office on Google aps ? My company runs on Excel.
You can convert Excel documents to Google apps when you import them. Does Microsoft office support Google Spreadsheets?
Old 15 November 2013, 10:07 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Here's a spreadsheet I've made just for you. It was free to create and is available for anyone to view and edit online again for free.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3c&usp=sharing
Old 15 November 2013, 10:08 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The serious users I know are Security Professionals, Web Developers and Media Types. People who make their living using computers, ones who have a choice over which machine they use.
Nothing really new there tbh, ever thus
Old 15 November 2013, 10:08 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

For common sense reasons I've changed that to view only
Old 15 November 2013, 10:11 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Jack - we use google apps corporately. I love the facility, however it has it's limits from a serious user perspective. Horses for courses, especially in the context of your "serious" scenario.

I'm a serious user and have no current interest in moving from windows. I'm not the only one.

IMO nothing gives you corporate stability like a windows type OS. Whatever the corporate sector adopts en mass, will provide a steer to domestic. If it changes, it changes.... Until then Windows will remain king. Obvious to state, but sometimes the obvious needs to be stated.
Old 15 November 2013, 10:16 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Here's a spreadsheet I've made just for you. It was free to create and is available for anyone to view and edit online again for free.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...3c&usp=sharing
And will be updated when they steal it off Microsoft its no better than China(the pirates of the modern world) copying the original that's the country that manufactures your beloved Apple products.
Old 15 November 2013, 10:19 PM
grey_boy
Scooby Regular

Bored of this crap thread...night gays

I mean guys...typo

use this to reset jack to normal mode
http://www.turnofftheinternet.com/

Last edited by grey_boy; 15 November 2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 15 November 2013, 10:20 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Shaun
Jack - we use google apps corporately. I love the facility, however it has it's limits from a serious user perspective. Horses for courses, especially in the context of your "serious" scenario.

I'm a serious user and have no current interest in moving from windows. I'm not the only one.

IMO nothing gives you corporate stability like a windows type OS. Whatever the corporate sector adopts en mass, will provide a steer to domestic. If it changes, it changes.... Until then Windows will remain king. Obvious to state, but sometimes the obvious needs to be stated.
When we're talking about the present I fully agree with you, but things can change rapidly. Blackberry was the only choice 5 years ago, people swore that would never change.
Old 15 November 2013, 10:22 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

And will be updated when they steal it off Microsoft its no better than China(the pirates of the modern world) copying the original that's the country that manufactures your beloved Apple products.
Umm...

"Microsoft's early spreadsheet Multiplan eventually gave way to Excel, which debuted on the Macintosh in 1985. It arrived on PCs with the release of Windows 2.x in 1987, but as Windows was not yet popular, it posed no serious threat to Lotus's stranglehold on spreadsheet sales."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_1-2-3
Old 15 November 2013, 10:24 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Agreed, Especially when we're discussing technology. I love change and I embrace it... When it's applicable and beneficial.

Old 15 November 2013, 10:27 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Umm...

"Microsoft's early spreadsheet Multiplan eventually gave way to Excel, which debuted on the Macintosh in 1985. It arrived on PCs with the release of Windows 2.x in 1987, but as Windows was not yet popular, it posed no serious threat to Lotus's stranglehold on spreadsheet sales."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_1-2-3
My first PC I installed Lotus 123 still have it on disc and IBM sole operating system was ?
Old 15 November 2013, 10:31 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Your point about the Blackberry.... I didn't think that and as such never adopted that brand. I made the sensible call on that one.

gmail has replaced blackberrys and our previous desktop email client..... that has been undoubtedly the right decision. Saved a shedload of cash and opened up the facilities available, usability and access options. Brilliant!

Google have an opportunity to blow MS out of the water..... Will they utilise their opportunity.
Old 15 November 2013, 10:36 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

My first PC I installed Lotus 123 still have it on disc and IBM sole operating system was ?
I used to use this on an AT! IBM PC DOS.
Old 15 November 2013, 10:46 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Windows 95 brought PC to the masses I remember guys in my work paying £2000 for a PC. I got a refurb IBM Activa for £500 bargain through my wife who worked for them in Greenock. Oh how I miss dial up connection 30 seconds to load a page.

Quick Reply: Is there a future in Windows?