Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

BT broadband advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2014, 01:49 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BT broadband advice please.

Hey all,

I'm thinking of switching to BT broadband, we're currently with talk talk ( joined tiscali ages ago and then I think it switched to talktalk ) we use our own belkin router for this broadband.

The broadband in our area is ****e at around 2mb download speed, seems ok for playing ps4 online etc most nights though.

BT has an offer ending today I'm not sure on figures but I know its £2 a month more expensive than what we currently pay and we would be using BT's home hub 4 and would get the sports channels for the moto GP etc and you also get £50 sainsburys voucher.

The things making me question buying this service are these,

I've never had a problem with our broadband we have now that couldn't be sorted over the phone, but when my brother had BT home hub last year it developed a fault and BT wouldn't do anything about it until they paid £100 call out fee even though it was their equipment which had the problem. He switched to sky.

Do the BT sports channels run off the broadband alone? With 2mb internet will the sports channels function correctly as I couldn't be bothered watching anything that will be stopping and starting all the time.

I've already emailed BT about they're infinity broadband but they got back in touch saying they have no intention of supplying the fast fibre broadband in our area.

Sorry for the long winded post but I have no idea about tinterweb etc lol.

Regards

Mick
Old 06 January 2014, 02:13 PM
Dan wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to sure if this will answer your question but we have bt infinity at home (I know u can't get it) but I also have bt sports on sky, all we had to do was tell bt out sky card number and they put the bt sport on for us or we had to tell sky our bt number one of the 2. But we don't have to have our internet on to watch the bt sports. I've never had a problem with bt at all. To be honest everytime I call them they are very helpful
Old 06 January 2014, 05:30 PM
ericooper
Scooby Regular

BT sport is via ur arial as free veiw is, you have a veiwing card that gies in your vision box to get the sports channels, the BB is only for ondammand type stuff
Old 06 January 2014, 05:35 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

if you are on Talk-talk, that'll be a LLU line, so you will have to pay for a BT landline install
Old 06 January 2014, 06:41 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help so far, I'll have to see what the crack is with the landline I thought the one that was in was a normal landline? I know we still pay line rental but I have no idea what an LLU line is so can't comment lol.

Cheers

Mick
Old 06 January 2014, 08:37 PM
paul98typer
Scooby Regular

LLU is basically when you have your service with a different provider to BT, ie. sky, talk talk etc but are still using BT's wires/cabling back to the exchange.

Riiida is right, you'll have to go with BT for your calls to get there broadband, usually all sold in some sort of phone/broadband bundle.

And as for on demand you should be ok with 2meg, Have seen them working at lower but if your watching on demand and stream or play on ps at same time you'll get problems.
Old 06 January 2014, 08:59 PM
scoobydog63
Scooby Regular

I tried to get BT infinity and gave up after receiving the worse customer service ever. I ended up going with Sky, who's customer service was and is superb.