Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

soundbar recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2013, 07:57 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soundbar recommendations

hi guys

any recommendations on a budget sound bar looking at under £300. afaik i need a hdmi for it to work with my tv remote and that is a must. not after a super loud bassy system but would want one that can replicate surround sound to a decent standard.

the lg one was meant to be good but alas doesnt have a hdmi and cant be doing turning the sound up with another remote

cheers steve
Old 04 November 2013, 12:21 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the Yamaha YAS-101. It has 2 optical inputs. I have the TV plugged in to 1 and the PC plugged in to the other.

I have the TV set to use external speakers (so the inbuilt speakers won't produce any sound) and I've taught the Soundbar the up and down volume control using the standard TV remote. So when I hit up or down volume the soundbar volume only goes up and down. The power button also switches on\off both TV and Soundbar. So I only use the TV remote.

It's £199 on Amazon, I got it from there for about £150 a few weeks ago when they had them on sale.

The sound is good, but there's not much surround sound to be honest. The bass can be as heavy as you like. I watched Star Wars 3 on ITV HD (freeview) on Saturday and had the sound turned up pretty loud. The speech was really clear and the bass was nice, you could vaguely sense some surround sound but it was nowhere near a real 5.1 system.

The next model up is supposed to be much better but is around £600.

I wanted better sound than the TV speakers but didn't want speakers everywhere in a 5.1 setup and couldn't justify spending £600 on one.