Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Need some help with Excel.....

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2013, 01:12 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some help with Excel.....

Excel users - brainpick.....

FWIW, I'm running Excel 2008 (Mac) - it may have a bearing on any advice offered (so thanks in advance anyway!)

Scenario:

Wifey's got a little on-line business running at the moment with an outlet in a local shop.
I've set up a simple stock taking spreadsheet in Excel.

I've got 2 sheets - one being the "Overall Stock" stock sheet with multiples and prices. This sheet caters for all the on-line sales.

I'm feeding the stock data into a second sheet which addresses how much stock is left in the shop.

What I would like is to set up the stock indicators in each sheet to reflect in the alternate sheet, thus giving us a good awareness of what stock we've got and what we need to buy.

My *limited* understanding is that I need to

(a) link the stock number in the Overall Stock sheet to the shop sheet
(b) subsequently link the shop stock number BACK to the Overall Stock sheet

I think this can be done by linking cells, but I'm not too sure how it's done - my attempts thus far haven't been very successful as I seem to be getting circular references.

I'm using ='sheet1'!C1 (in the sheet 2 cell)
I can't put ='sheet2'!C1 into the sheet 1 cell as it causes the circular problem.

Is what I'm trying to do even possible?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Old 03 November 2013, 08:26 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

not fully sure what you are asking.

What sheet do you input data on?

You could always have in one of the sheets the stock holding (initial stock level), then in the next column the sales for that product (getting the data from the sales sheet). On the sales sheet you could have a column showing the current stock by doing a sum of the initial stock level - sold stock. Could also add a reorder column and use conditional formatting so if stock drops to a certain level it highlights. Hope that makes sense.
Would say email me a copy (doctored version with different data) but I don't have a mac
Old 03 November 2013, 08:36 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Well, *ideally* I want to input data onto both sheets, but this is creating a circular error (obviously).

I think I've sorted it by changing my requirements. Will have to have a play!

Thanks for the info, as that's kind of what I've set up

Dan