Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

5S vs S4 vs HTC ONE

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2013, 01:01 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 5S vs S4 vs HTC ONE

Objective comments only please.

Want a new phone and currently on an iPhone 4.

Which one over the other two and why?
Old 11 September 2013, 01:08 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Do you like/prefer a large or small screen

Do you like/prefer ios, Sense 5 or Touchwiz

Do you like to alter settings, manipulate device

All other specs are neither here or there, they last about the same on battery, all take excellent photos, and work as a telephone.

Btw I have just ordered the Galaxy Note 3 and a pink one for the wife
Old 11 September 2013, 01:24 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

No bothered about screen size enough to say I "prefer" one over the other - although I want a phone not a tablet or look like Dom Joly!

Have been iOS since the 3G was released - no experience of the others - advantage?

Never jailbroken iOS so that answers the last "Do you" - perhaps an added advantage?
Old 11 September 2013, 01:29 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody on here can decide you.
Go and have a play in the shop and see what you think.

And that is the best advice you will get on here.
Old 11 September 2013, 01:30 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Well you have pretty much decided ios is for you
Old 11 September 2013, 01:30 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yep size is probably the biggest factor in your choice. I appreciate a big screen but could not put up with the size of the One or S4 in my pocket especially when you stick a case on. But if you spend a lot of time watching videos etc out & about then that may work better for you.

I am also lazy and like the fact iCloud just clones my existing phone and I have to do nothing with a new phone to make it like my old phone.

I also like the fact I have a Apple Store 10 mins from work should I get any problems – which I did with the 5 and was swapped out then and there no fuss. Watched the Watchdog horror stories about getting HTC to fix a phone fault via post. Not sure if any easier if you buy direct from a network.
Old 11 September 2013, 01:52 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Gear Head,
I'm referring to objective views, in reality based on function. Looking at one in a shop and having a play won't inform me of anything I may be missing out on, that others have day to day experience of.

andy97,
I'm willing to change what I have used before. Change is good... if there are benefits.

P1Fanatic,
Never implemented iCloud - is it worth it and what are the major benefits in the real world?
Old 11 September 2013, 02:52 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i, in sameboat, im angling towards htc one, uszer expeiance is suposed to be better and its more solid than ther s4, i wouldnt have an iphone if they paid me. Only thing is camera is suposed to be better on s4 compared to the htc one, doesnt bother me so go for more solid one.
Old 11 September 2013, 03:02 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Being an owner of the HTC One X - I'm inclined to steer people away from the uni-body design.

The lack of user replaceable Battery & Lack of MicroSD cards are severe drawbacks.

I thought I'd be able to live with it as I've got the 32gb version - but it's not practical.

The S4 is a lovely bit of kit.
Old 11 September 2013, 03:29 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Interesting viewpoint on the battery and lack of disk expansion. Something that I originally thought was going to be an issue with an iPhone, but one that hasn't actually caused me any issues in all the years I have owned an "i" device.

I suspect type of usage dictates if these facilities impact an individual.
Old 11 September 2013, 03:29 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
P1Fanatic,
Never implemented iCloud - is it worth it and what are the major benefits in the real world?
iCloud is very handy. Synch your contacts, bookmarks, apps, pics, music, calendar across all your iOS devices or just use it as a backup.

So any time you add a contact, note on your phone it gets stored on iCloud. You can back up your entire phone although a 5gb limit as standard. I believe it backups any time you change something and are connected via WiFi.

When I got my new handset within 5 mins I had pretty much everything working from my old phone in exactly they way I had it setup - except all the pics, larger apps etc which took a bit longer to download due to file size. It even had my browsing cache so new what sites I had visited recently.

My wife & I use the Share Calendar function so whenever she adds something to hers I get it automatically visible on mine and vice versa.

I guess there is an Android equivalent and if you are not using iCloud already then you you have less to lose making the move away.
Old 11 September 2013, 04:13 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in excatly the same boat, held off my upgrade to see what the 5S would offer. I've had a play with both the S4 and HTC and am swaying very much towards the 5S because of simple things link the photostream capability.

Can't say I've really used iCloud but I am certainly exploiting more or the features as time goes by. Critically though, does android have a Crush Candy download!!!!
Old 11 September 2013, 04:27 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
I am in excatly the same boat, held off my upgrade to see what the 5S would offer. I've had a play with both the S4 and HTC and am swaying very much towards the 5S because of simple things link the photostream capability.

Can't say I've really used iCloud but I am certainly exploiting more or the features as time goes by. Critically though, does android have a Crush Candy download!!!!
Lol @ Candy Crush. Sure it does and if you login via your facebook credentials I assume your progress would be saved. I just made it to level 241
Old 11 September 2013, 04:35 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic

I guess there is an Android equivalent and if you are not using iCloud already then you you have less to lose making the move away.
Both Android and Windows Phone have equivalents indeed so icloud shouldn't be a selling point as good as it is.

Give android and an S4 a try imo, refreshing after so long on iOS if you spend a bit of time customising your UI.

iOS is something I'd recommend to my Grandma as it just works out of the box but it gets boring fast.
Old 11 September 2013, 04:37 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

The 5S will last you a long time, quite possibly longer than your 4.
Old 11 September 2013, 04:39 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Fonzey
Both Android and Windows Phone have equivalents indeed so icloud shouldn't be a selling point as good as it is.
The have some of the features, not all, to get the full benefit on Android you'd be running multiple programs and logins.
Old 11 September 2013, 04:40 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

What's missing from the Android equivalent?
Old 11 September 2013, 06:00 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Have you not considered the new Nexus 5 phone, its due out next month? I'm waiting to see what its like before deciding on which phone I want to go for.
Old 11 September 2013, 06:02 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
The 5S will last you a long time, quite possibly longer than your 4.
No evidence to support this other than your anecdotal comments
Old 11 September 2013, 06:06 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I've got an iPhone 5 which I think is great, my Dad used to have the iPhone 4 and recently changed to the new Samsung S4. He said he prefers his old iPhone 4 because it's easier to use and more simple; plus not as annoying. Maybe that's because he's getting old?
Old 11 September 2013, 06:40 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Objective comments only please.

Want a new phone and currently on an iPhone 4.

Which one over the other two and why?
One important question that's been missed is 'do you have other apple devices?' i presume not given your comment about iCloud but it's something to think about.
Old 11 September 2013, 06:55 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by neil-h
One important question that's been missed is 'do you have other apple devices?' i presume not given your comment about iCloud but it's something to think about.
That is incredibly important, an iPad with an iPhone and iCloud are good, add a Mac in the mix maybe an Apple TV, then we're in a competition where Android's not even playing, Microsoft might put up a fight.
Old 11 September 2013, 07:05 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I bought my Macbook Pro when my PC died simply because I use an iPhone... haven't looked back since. Although one minor issue though, I still haven't quite got my head around the iPhoto automatic organisation
Old 11 September 2013, 07:21 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

P1Fanatic,
Thanks for the overview. Sounds positive, but in all honesty I have never had a problem with local back-ups. I'll probably not bother.

Fonzey,
Don't confuse "boring" with the ability to "just being able to do it without fuss". Personally I don't need to be excited by using a phone of sorts. I use a phone to do a job and have long been emotionally attached to any functionality or phone ownership.... although over time I've become in favour of the Apple "simple" look and feel to their phone. That's one of the few emotive attachments I probably have.

Jack,
Subjective without doubt.... but borders on the edge of objectiveness. From a pure emotive side I don't feel "out of it" getting my 4 out of my pocket. Even after a couple of years..... not sure I would feel the same with any of the Android devices, simply as they appear to change so much and there are so many of them available. Again subjective emotions.... I need to move back to objectiveness.

Steve,
In all honesty no. More of the same though?

neil-h,
I have an iPad but don't use it..... waste of time for me. Provides me no benefit for my use. Anything I would do on an iPad I do on my iPhone (which in itself has seen me use my PC less over time) - anything else I use a PC for.
Old 12 September 2013, 10:06 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Just give iCloud a whirl. May take some tweaking initially but once done you will wonder why you never used it before. Especially if you have an iPad as you can replicate to both without you needing to do anything. Remote backup is only one benefit – but even that alone over a local backup with iTunes is worth using iCloud for imho.
Old 12 September 2013, 12:58 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I'm quite surprised no one has said that "you may get great benefit from using x device because of y".... but perhaps I'm not. I suspect all the leading edge devices are much of a muchness in reality and a number of decisions to buy any single device are influenced by other "subjective" things / emotions.

P1,
Point taken - I'll delve.
Old 12 September 2013, 01:16 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

I'm quite surprised no one has said that "you may get great benefit from using x device because of y".... but perhaps I'm not. I suspect all the leading edge devices are much of a muchness in reality and a number of decisions to buy any single device are influenced by other "subjective" things / emotions.
congratulations, you've discovered the secret of buying high end smart phones lol. They are indeed all much of a muchness (but don't let either side hear you say it) and the only thing that seperates them is personal preference.
Old 12 September 2013, 01:41 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Variety is the spice of life they say. If you have an Android itch, well then the One and S4 are currently best of breed at the moment. If they're too big, there are "mini" versions of these phones with. If you don't like them change it to iPhone 6 when you next upgrade. At least you've scratched that itch. Or you could just stick to what you already know.
Old 12 September 2013, 02:13 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

neil-h,
It's a bitch when you find yourself breaking it all down to plain logic!

jonc,
I think I have come full circle.

I've been open minded with my upgrade, but for every reason I see that it would be justifiable to move to a "another", I appear to substantiate why an iPhone fits me better.

I've just looked at the sizes of the HTC & S4 and in reality they are probably too big. I carry my phone everywhere and rarely wear a jacket. It goes in my pocket and I think that extra size of these devices is a tipping point. It's in and out of my pocket as well, all the time, so another reason why size is quite an important factor to me. I appreciate I could go a "mini" version of these two models, but they appear to have other spec negative impacts... I'd probably feel short changed in that respect.

What I love about the iPhone is that it's a great "tool", easy to use and hasn't caused me any issues. Stability of platform is key and that is something the iPhone gives me.

Subjectively I prefer the "professional" look and image of an iPhone.... it suits my position and work environment. The S4 looks "cheap"... the HTC ONE fits my subjective view better.

All of this is in some way summed up by what I haven't done so far....... I could utilise a Samsung device through work (my iPhone is mine and this pending upgrade will be at my cost) at no cost to me, yet I haven't felt the need nor the urge to do that. Zero cost impact to myself, but I can't see how it will benefit me from a use perspective as I'm not aware of any compelling benefits (something I was hoping this thread would unearth if such existed).

Make sense?
Old 12 September 2013, 06:22 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

A lot of the benefits of Android come from it being open source and hence more flexible/customisable. That being said how ever, from your comments on the iPhone I'm not sure that that'll be any advantage to you.

Tbh if your happy with the iPhone and like the what it does for you, then there's no point in changing platforms for the sake of it.

Quick Reply: 5S vs S4 vs HTC ONE