Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

HTC One is now revealed

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2013, 07:13 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
Default HTC One is now revealed

Wow. Superb specs
Old 19 February 2013, 07:41 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I think all the top phones are sort of similar in what they do and its more down to personal preference now as to which phone you get.
Old 19 February 2013, 09:49 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

always rated the build quality on the htc's new one looks a step up
Old 19 February 2013, 10:12 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

They don't like the plastic **** either. Good for them.
Old 20 February 2013, 04:17 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

That is a concern that the HTC One will suffer the same problem as the i5, scratched to death in a matter of a few days. Android users generally fit protective gel cases and don't see the need to wave around their phone for all to see. So an aluminium case is superfluous.
Old 20 February 2013, 04:36 PM
sovietspybob
Scooby Regular

I had (now my wifes) a HTC One X and it was a superbly built phone, a real quality item with the best screen i've used on a phone to date bar none.

I'm currently using a Nexus 4 which although the screen isn't as nice is faster, but i'd definitely get another HTC as i was very impressed with it, especially compared to the Samsung galaxy S2 & S3...
Old 20 February 2013, 08:08 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Same, got a one x+ here and absolutely love it. So, so fast and reliable. Two days out of the battery too!
Old 20 February 2013, 08:13 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by andy97
That is a concern that the HTC One will suffer the same problem as the i5, scratched to death in a matter of a few days. Android users generally fit protective gel cases and don't see the need to wave around their phone for all to see. So an aluminium case is superfluous.
I've never seen an iPhone scratched to death. Mine is in a bumper, pristine metal and glass. Don't forget I had a plastic iPhone cover, even in a "gel case" it was the most **** iPhone cover ever, the case pulled cash out of my pocket and the cover was worn out after just 2 years.
Old 21 February 2013, 12:34 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

It looks like an iPhone 5. Nice camera.
Old 21 February 2013, 08:41 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

HTC and apple have a cross licensing agreement, so HTC are allowed to wilfully copy apple

Re your case been worn out, I refer you to my earlier post
Old 21 February 2013, 09:29 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by andy97
HTC and apple have a cross licensing agreement, so HTC are allowed to wilfully copy apple

Re your case been worn out, I refer you to my earlier post
Is that the one where you tell everyone that plastic phones are poop? Or when you said the Samdroid and HTCrapple a modern take on glass and aluminium hand crafted in composite materials far superior to the old school materials of the iPhone?
Old 21 February 2013, 10:09 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Is that the one where you tell everyone that plastic phones are poop? Or when you said the Samdroid and HTCrapple a modern take on glass and aluminium hand crafted in composite materials far superior to the old school materials of the iPhone?
The contrary, I prefer a well designed composite material over metal. It is more forgiving, lighter, easier to access without damage. Don't get me wrong metal finish is nice to look at, but I always prioritise function over form when it comes to electronics

Dont worry, I'll be getting one or more of the new range topping Android phones later this summer
Old 22 February 2013, 07:43 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

i had a HTC sensation and the power button/screen on button wore out in under a year luckily i had bought it from Amazon as searching the net it seems that HTC customer service is terrible and if they try and repair your phone frequently there are problems (they got slated on watch dog for this to)

Anyway excellent customer service from Amazon got a full £400 refund
Old 25 February 2013, 09:33 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waiting to see the SG4 before I decide ...
Old 01 July 2013, 08:58 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I ended up with one of these new wonder phones last Friday. I actually saw it on the gadget show and the aluminium body, the great sound, interesting camera and the improved screen won me over. I'd tried a HTC sensation a year or so ago and the screen was crap outside and it felt cheap.

This new HTC one is a great bit of kit, BUT.. I don't think I can keep it!

I so want to get something other than an iphone but I just find myself frustrated over and over with these android phones.

Today alone I've had two major crashes of the phone where it's just restarted itself and asked to send off an error report to HTC. I've had iphones since the first one came out and in all those years I have never had a crash that's reset the phone. I remember this sort of thing with the sensation, bugs and crashes.

I want to like it, I really do. Other thing is, the camera.. Yes, it does well in low light but it only looks good sat there on the phone screen at full out. As soon as you zoom in with your fingers the picture is so noisey it's unreal. I took some pics yesterday outside, look ok but the quality is terrible when you zoom in. I think even the old iphone 4s camera is better under certain conditions.

The sound is great, two speakers on the front of the phone. It's actually quite strange to have 'that' much sound comng out of a phone. The screen looks great and they've deffinately improved it's outdoor visibility. I quite like the home screen feed where you can select what you want. I have it set on trending topics and it's kept me up to date nicely.

There's also this annoying problem when you try and click on something. Say you're on the appp store (or should I say play store) and you want an app, click on the install button and it's like it's not there, takes about 6 presses to get it. Same online too, click in the box to input your username and password and again takes about 6 attempts. I've never had this on the iphone, ever. Also i'd assume it'd work better for browsing and be able to see more, quite the opposite. Pictures not displaying that would be on my iphone, not staying logged in to forums etc. I also find the browser annoying, safari works better with the back and forward arrows and the bookmark buttons all just there waiting, not hiding in a drop down menu (bookmarks).

It seems strange using them both online. Years ago the iphone was noticeably held back in certain areas, I remember going on websites and not being able to view things or use things. It does seem developers and programmers have worked to accomodate apple's success in the market. There's not one thing I've come accross while browsing (in my world) on the HTC where I've tought "oh, that's nice, the iphone doesn't do/show that" infact, the opposite!

It's also the same annoying one extra step to do things I would be on my iphone. It's too big for my liking too, just find this trend for new phones getting larger, crazy. If I want a tablet I'll use that, a phone for me needs to be this handy little device for contacting people that also has loads of features to help you out when you're out working etc. some of them are just getting silly sizes. I think the iphone 4 size is perfect.

So, what now. Looks like I'll be taking it back within 7 days! Not sure what o2 will want me to do, I guess they'll want me to have something else. I certainly don't want a samsung S4 as it feels like a xmas cracker toy.
Old 02 July 2013, 07:50 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Are you on the latest software for the phone? I've not had any issues like what you have mentioned. The camera is only 4mp, so will look noisy with digital zoom.

If you keep getting frustrated with Android, then your best bet is to probably stick to iOS. Some people really don't get on with Android, others love it. I can't stand iOS, the one button annoys me, as does the keyboard.
Old 02 July 2013, 08:06 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you like the child like os of apple, best to go back to apple, then wait for ios7 you will be in the same place you're now
Old 02 July 2013, 09:09 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Child like OS? The bloke's complaining that Android crashes and can't show the 'whole' internet, that's my experience with Android and if you were honest yours as well. I'll take child like any day.

iO7 contains so much progression you'll need another processor to keep up.
Old 02 July 2013, 09:25 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

I'm not after some silly bickering match.

Funnily enough, since the last major crash and reset the button pressing problem has gone and I've managed to log in here.

One really bad fallout of the crash is that it's wiped the emails off the device, so it must be a pretty big crash!

Just typing now and looking back to correct mistakes I miss the zoom on touch of apple, I presume that's not copiable? It's quite annoying not being able to see where the cursor needs to go when correcting stuff.

After realising the crashes are actually wiping my emails, it's got to go back now. I really can't have that. I was starting to get won over again when the button prob sorted itself.

I'm really not an apple fanboy, I'm not liking the iPhone 5. My mate has one and the finish is all wearing off round the edges, very unlike the usual apple quality. Maybe the white is different.

Last edited by jameswrx; 02 July 2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02 July 2013, 10:09 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Its not possible wipe emails on gmail they aren't stored on the phone, even if you did a factory reset soon as you log back into Google all your emails are there
Old 02 July 2013, 10:21 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

I didn't say anything about gmail.

I have ntl email addresses.

And, as you say you can still retrieve from server (although theyre not coming through again on here) As I use mobile devices pretty much 100% of the time I usually delete from server (well I do on my iPhone). thankfully I didn't set delete from server on the HTC so when I fire the iPhone back up they should come through.

I'd have been pretty annoyed if it'd wiped them and I'd had the delete on.
Old 02 July 2013, 01:21 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

Single copy of anything means a single device crash, be it desktop, laptop, android or even ios means they are lost. You'd be better connecting the phone to gmail and having that pull the e-mails from ntl.
Old 03 July 2013, 03:30 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds to me like you have a lemon phone, i have zero issues with my one.
Old 03 July 2013, 04:12 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

So your phone never crashes? Bash apple whichever way you like but they are without doubt the most stable of the devices. I know that's down to the restrictions (some might call them) in the os, but after jailbreaking mine and experiencing slow downs and crashes I understood why apple do things the way they do.

I must have had a lemon HTC sensation too.

It looks like I'm going to keep hold of the one now anyway,

Does anyone know if there's a way to calibrate the touch screen? One other thing I've noticed is it's not as accurate when trying to click on a button or link if you're not zoomed in. Just seemed like the iPhone touch in the small icons is far more accurate. There was a calibration thing on the iPhone but can't fund one on this HTC.

Reason I've decided to keep it is the only other alternative at the moment is the iPhone 5. The Samsung is really not for me, feels too cheap & light. The iPhone 5 finish rubbing off would bug me. I think the next one for me will be iPhone 6 (if the quality is good) I'm sure I will be able to cover the cost of the next gen iPhone with a mint 4s and this HTC one. In the mean time I'm enjoying a change from what I'be been using the past few years.

I think I'll get an otterbox for it now.

Last edited by jameswrx; 03 July 2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03 July 2013, 05:25 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Umm nope not one crash i can think of, can't say i've had many issues if any tbh.

And it's well known the sensation/desire are far from being their best phones.

As for the screen, could need a firmware update. I know it had some sensitivity issues, that were corrected in the update.

As for the otterbox i think it might block the ir blaster, you'll have to ask on xda.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2115

Personally mine is all rooted and running arhd 10, though 11 is now out and it's been pretty solid here, a few much needed tweaks thrown in.

There are plenty of tweaks so if there's something you miss im sure you can find a workaround.
Old 03 July 2013, 07:04 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Had one HTC reported crash, and a warning triangle of brick lol

Mind you that was my cack handed attempt to root lol

it survived that, and has been fine ....

Battery life is about 4 days for me (best i got was 12 days)

Mart
Old 03 July 2013, 07:04 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm contemplating moving to one of these from my S3 for the aluminium shell and blink feed more than anything else. Trying to decide whether it's a worthwhile upgrade as only had my S3 for a few months.
Old 03 July 2013, 10:47 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
I'm contemplating moving to one of these from my S3 for the aluminium shell and blink feed more than anything else. Trying to decide whether it's a worthwhile upgrade as only had my S3 for a few months.
If your into your Social media, then blinkfeed is for you,

Mart
Old 04 July 2013, 12:45 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Must admit I do like the blink feed thing, I have mine set to the gadget feed. I'd not normally get magazines or go on websites to seek out the info, but I'm liking it just coming onto the phone and I do actually read a lot of the stories and articles. It's certainly a feature I'd miss.

Mart, is that the htc one you're getting 4 days on? Sheesh, that's not right surely? Mine's been off the charger 14hrs and it's on 10% just now. Made about 4 or 5 sub one minute calls, checked emails 8 times, bought someing on ebay, did 1/2hr browsing, played a game for 1/2hr and then it's sat doing not a lot for last 4 hrs.
Old 04 July 2013, 07:13 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

No I don't do social media I was hoping you can have sport and news etc on blinkfeed? The battery life is important and was a main concern of the HTC as I get 2 days out of my S3 and it seems a struggle to get one day from the HTC.

The other thing is the camera and what James has posted above is enough to make me stay put I think as i've taken some great photos with my S3 and i'd hate to go backwards on the camera feature.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 04 July 2013 at 07:16 AM.

Quick Reply: HTC One is now revealed