Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Xbox 720 to be revealed 21st May....

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2013, 01:30 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Xbox 720 to be revealed 21st May....

Hope its got a flippin' Blu-Ray drive this time
Will they cough up to arch rival Sony for the rights...

Or will it have any optical drive at all.......? Maybe downloaded content only... Microsoft keep tight control of content on a 'Steam' type portal... (Windows Store)

Now that would be a killer for the retail Games shops in the High Street...

sauce: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...-reveal-21-may

Old 25 April 2013, 01:35 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a stupid name for it, for a start.
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

That's a stupid name for it, for a start.
It's so bad NSR wanted it posted twice.
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It'll have blu-ray because MS will want it to be the media hub of the home.
I'll probably end up getting one even though I haven't switched the 360 on for over a year!

My wish for it is simple, TO BE QUIET!!
Old 25 April 2013, 01:37 PM
CarBen Fibre Creations
Former Sponsor

+1 on the blue-ray drive!

Cant see them not having any drive the demand for physical media is still quite high, maybe in another 2-3 years they might get away with it.

Theres also a list of games here: http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-720/List_of_Xbox_720_Games
Old 25 April 2013, 01:39 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

90% of the games on that list are first-person shooters..... sigh. Gaming really is dead.
Old 25 April 2013, 01:42 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
My wish for it is simple, TO BE QUIET!!
Amen to that - I have a newish Xbox slim and its as noisy as ****... no way would I want that as a media hub - my Win 7 media PC is as good as silent!

As soon as you walk in the lounge I can tell when the xbox has been left on by my young son!
Old 25 April 2013, 02:11 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

It does have a BR drive I have friend who is already making games on their development kit for it (although it's quite large at the moe!)
Old 25 April 2013, 04:17 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

It does have a blu ray drive, 720 isn't the official name and...I've heard that you'll have to have a live connection to play ALL games too.
Old 25 April 2013, 06:34 PM
DantheMan2605
Scooby Regular

Bring on the ps4
Old 25 April 2013, 06:39 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

More to the point, will Live still be a paid subscription?
Old 25 April 2013, 06:51 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ofc it will, ps4 ftw as it will be free as usual
Old 25 April 2013, 07:48 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Truss
More to the point, will Live still be a paid subscription?
Probably
Old 26 April 2013, 01:02 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bioforger
ofc it will, ps4 ftw as it will be free as usual
Free and bloody terrible! I have both the ps3 and xbox, I like both but I prefer the xbox setup for online, less than £3.50 a month isn't bad I reckon

I'm not all that excited about the new consoles though as there has literally been no real innovation in games for more than ten years imho.

Better graphics mean eff all to me, it's all about playability and I've been having more fun playing old emulator games than I have most of the new stuff tbh.

Ghouls and Ghosts ftw
Old 26 April 2013, 01:09 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i love my pc
Old 26 April 2013, 01:25 PM
maff125
Scooby Regular

Ghouls and ghosts, lol, I'm with you there, I had that for my Commodore 64 and jet set *****, dan dare and loads more, used to press play on the tape deck and go and play for 45 mins to find the game had crashed! perhaps I'm just getting old as they used to feel special back then:-(
Old 26 April 2013, 04:50 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
Free and bloody terrible! I have both the ps3 and xbox, I like both but I prefer the xbox setup for online, less than £3.50 a month isn't bad I reckon

I'm not all that excited about the new consoles though as there has literally been no real innovation in games for more than ten years imho.

Better graphics mean eff all to me, it's all about playability and I've been having more fun playing old emulator games than I have most of the new stuff tbh.

Ghouls and Ghosts ftw
Terrible in what way? they provide an online service for nowt and it works fine. All I care is that I can multiplayer with my mates, so I don't give a toss about the other online services. Having to pay for that privilege on the xbox is well a p1sstake in this day n age.

Agree with your other comments. Most "new" games are the latest FPS. Gameplay seems to be a secondary thought. I tend to only play driving sims or sports games now.
Old 26 April 2013, 04:53 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I can't wait to see how it compares with the PS4.

The whole always online part doesn't bother me as I always am but I know a lot of people that will get pissed at that.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Xbo...DRM,21881.html
Old 26 April 2013, 05:00 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

That always on 'feature' is just plain stupid. MS will do themselves out of a load of sales to people who simply don't have or only have limited net access, crazy.
Old 26 April 2013, 05:02 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I honestly don't turn on the PS3 as much as I used to. There are no games in the last few years that have persuaded me to put my money down for them. I game almost entirely on the PC now.
Old 26 April 2013, 05:18 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
i love my pc
remind me how much your pc cost again? and will it need upgrading in a few years time?
Old 26 April 2013, 08:06 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

I cancelled my Live subscription, i dont even bother switching it on anymore.
Old 29 April 2013, 08:46 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I had a 250gb slim and didn't use it for months so got rid, now quite fancy a go on the new Bioshock so regretting flogging it. I'd buy another but think I'll wait to see what the announcement is all about.
Old 29 April 2013, 08:56 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Wasn't there something about the PS4 having some kind of key / id for games, so that you could not play used ones? Wonder if MS will put something similar in their new console.

Not too keen on the always on thing, regardless of platform. What happens if I want to play a game and my internet is down, which could well be exactly the time I want to play something. (Rumor has it there are two values in Simcity controlling the always on aspect, and if those could be tweaked you would not hit the 20 min offline limit)

Much as we love to hate MS, I've got to admit they did hit the nail on the head in regards to Live. It's a rather good system, or was the last time I used it, which was quite some time ago.

I've still got my original - now modchipped, but dead DVD drive - xbox, and not sure if I'm going to get a 720 or PS4. Probably won't as I don't have much time these days for gaming, and I've got an AppleTV, and Blu-Ray player, so apart from games, they'd not offer me too much.
Old 29 April 2013, 09:16 PM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

Dunno how true it is but have heard you will need to download games to the cloud and the games will only run from the cloud.
Old 30 April 2013, 09:25 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Well, I've got my 360 Slim. Currently playing through (at great enjoyment) Tomb Raider.
BUT I don't play it everyday, and only when the mood/family allows.

720 or whateveritscalled? Will have to have that "I can't live without this box" feeling to tempt me.

As of yet, nothing of the rumour-mill stuff has even vaguely raised an eyebrow.

But I'll be as open-minded as I can
Old 30 April 2013, 12:17 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Ant
remind me how much your pc cost again? and will it need upgrading in a few years time?

at £30-40 a game vs £10-15 then the amount of game i get i easily cover that

to upgrade a console you have to junk it all lol
Old 30 April 2013, 01:01 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bioforger
Terrible in what way? they provide an online service for nowt and it works fine. All I care is that I can multiplayer with my mates, so I don't give a toss about the other online services. Having to pay for that privilege on the xbox is well a p1sstake in this day n age.

Agree with your other comments. Most "new" games are the latest FPS. Gameplay seems to be a secondary thought. I tend to only play driving sims or sports games now.
Hey, I love to have a dig at the PS3 purists
Ok so it's not crap for everyone but I do hear mammoth amounts of tales of woe when trying to play PS3 online (and I've also experienced these probs), it's surely not a coincidence. I can't see why paying a meagre amounts for a service is such a big deal? I know where you are coming from but it's the online gaming with mates on PS3 that is affected and also some end up with bans for no reason due to network/server issues.

I don't have much of a problem with XBL and if I do, it's usually on my end.

Glad you agree on the 'new' games thing. Its all got a bit crap, however, I am looking forward to this! -
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/30/m...paign=Engadget
Old 30 April 2013, 06:45 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

User error or poor net connection I've never had a single issue online with the PS3, been playing on it a fair few years now.
Old 30 April 2013, 07:11 PM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
Wasn't there something about the PS4 having some kind of key / id for games, so that you could not play used ones? Wonder if MS will put something similar in their new console.

Not too keen on the always on thing, regardless of platform. What happens if I want to play a game and my internet is down, which could well be exactly the time I want to play something. (Rumor has it there are two values in Simcity controlling the always on aspect, and if those could be tweaked you would not hit the 20 min offline limit)

Much as we love to hate MS, I've got to admit they did hit the nail on the head in regards to Live. It's a rather good system, or was the last time I used it, which was quite some time ago.

I've still got my original - now modchipped, but dead DVD drive - xbox, and not sure if I'm going to get a 720 or PS4. Probably won't as I don't have much time these days for gaming, and I've got an AppleTV, and Blu-Ray player, so apart from games, they'd not offer me too much.
It was originally rumoured that the PS4 was going to have this "watermark" feature on games where they can only be played on console they are first played in. Sony did put a stop to those rumours by announcing the PS4 would not have it.

Microsoft on the other hand have been very tight lipped about it and won't reveal anything yet. Same with the rumour about "always online" feature.

The "always online" thing was rumoured because it would seem that Microsoft are trying to move towards all online games. Ie. you don't buy the game and then play online, you download part of the game but the rest of its features are online.

There's a lot of online discussions about it including articles on a lot of gaming news sites, it would seem by the way that Microsoft are being so secretive that it will feature something along those lines. One thing is for sure, if they do go for anything like these rumours Xbox sales will plummet and will more than likely be the end of the Xbox. There was a great video of why it would be monumentally stupid for them to utilise these types of features, I'll see if I can dig it out.

Quick Reply: Xbox 720 to be revealed 21st May....