Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPhone 4 unlocking help

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2013, 06:48 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone 4 unlocking help

Hi all

Can someone suggest what to do my wife is at her wits end. Orange are the most useless fcukwits known to man. She cancelled her contract and requested a pac and her phone to be unlocked so she could go sim only with another carrier.

They've already billed her for all of it too, but agent told her not to pay until it was done.

She's now running on my crappy payg phone with a sim adapter as she still can't use her iphone. They've now had 5 weeks to action it.......

She has phoned Orange over 15 times, gets fobbed off or told they will call back and never do, the agents tell her its ridiculous situation each time but can't do anything as they can't speak to the unlocking team, or their manager, they can only do it by email which is ******* stupid.

Does unlocking an iPhone really have to be so stupidly hard? Seems ridiculous that Orange have to get Apple to do it and sync through iTunes - its a process that just doesn't seem to work, or maybe its just that Orange are utter crap (most likely the latter).

Does anyone know if there is another way to do it? She currently has a brick that's useless unless on wifi, not that it can receive a call, so its a bloody iPod touch

What else can she do, complaint to Ofcom?

Any help will bring her stress levels down and be gratefully received!!!

Cheers
Neil

Last edited by ScoobyJawa; 06 April 2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06 April 2013, 06:56 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Can get them unlocked via itunes. Price varies with carrier.

http://www.factoryiphoneunlock.co.uk...nlock-20-c.asp

Crazy price for orange though £99.99
Old 06 April 2013, 10:17 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Wow 100 quid is insane, orange charge 25

Might have to jailbreak it.....
Old 06 April 2013, 10:49 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

That is ridiculous. I recently unlocked an iPhone 4, admittedly on O2, for free. All we had to do was call them up and they did it then and there.
Old 06 April 2013, 03:09 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

You have plugged your iPhone into iTunes and synced it? I forgot about applying to get mine unlocked, it was ages before I plugged it in so quite a suprise.
Old 06 April 2013, 05:16 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Have you done a restore on the iPhone? If not, back it up and do that and see if it works.

Apple *does* need to be involved, well, their servers at least, as they are the ones that actually do the unlocking, from what I know, the carrier sends some kind of request to them, probably including the IMEI (or whatever combination of letters it really is ) and then the apple server will, when the phone talks to it, unlock it.

My 3GS was locked to Rogers, and when the contract was up I asked them to unlocked, and after fleecing me, they did so.

At first it did not seem to work, a sync didn't do it. This might have been because I wasn't on iOS 6 at the time, and did not overly want to upgrade at that point. I had read I might need to do a full restore, so I tried an option click restore, picking the iOS firmware file for 5.1.1, which is what I was running, and still no unlock message in iTunes.

Finally I bit the bullet and just clicked restore, let it upgrade to iOS 6 and after all that, I DID see a message in iTunes saying my phone was unlocked.

So, try a full restore, see if that helps.
Old 07 April 2013, 12:09 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Yes chaps, it's been plugged into iTunes and synced no less than 5 times, and backup - restored 3 times

It's an utter joke. Surely Orange have to unlock if requested?