Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Logitech to get out of Remote Control Business - Gosh!

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2013, 01:32 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Logitech to get out of Remote Control Business - Gosh!

Stunned at this news..... have had several Logitech All in Ones.... an 885 that I had for years, and only very recently replaced with a new Logitech Touch... which I think is *fantastic*

So surprised they have dropped the sector

http://www.whathifi.com/news/logitec...cle13_headline
Old 30 January 2013, 01:49 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even keyboards and mouse?

I thought they did very good mice in my opinion.
Old 31 January 2013, 08:58 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was thinking of buying one of their Harmony Touch remotes as well. Do I get one before they stop making them?
Old 31 January 2013, 09:04 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Well I can't think of many other vendors TBH.... so I would yes.
Old 31 January 2013, 09:30 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

That's really disappointing, though I can't say I'm all that surprised. Philips dropped the superb Pronto range of remote controls a while back, and last year Logitech dumped the equally superb Squeezebox family of audio players - as if they don't want to make quality, high end products that require some technical know-how any more.

I used to regard Logitech highly, but even the last couple of mice and keyboards I've bought from them have had shoddy build quality. They've really gone downhill, and I'm not aware of anyone else who is really in a position to step in and replace them
Old 31 January 2013, 10:19 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
That's really disappointing, though I can't say I'm all that surprised. Philips dropped the superb Pronto range of remote controls a while back, and last year Logitech dumped the equally superb Squeezebox family of audio players - as if they don't want to make quality, high end products that require some technical know-how any more.

I used to regard Logitech highly, but even the last couple of mice and keyboards I've bought from them have had shoddy build quality. They've really gone downhill, and I'm not aware of anyone else who is really in a position to step in and replace them
That's the problem really. I'm about to embark on putting together a home cinema PC and by all accounts the Logitech remotes were the best devices to control one, along with all the other stuff I have connected to the TV in the living room. If they stop making them what else is there? Biggest problem is with it being a niche product and therefore perceived by the bean counters that run these companies to not be profitable, therefore why both making it

The future is probably controlling everything from your tablet. I can already do this with my TV (via Wi-Fi) but the remote control app just isn't as good as the real thing. I have also seen a Bluetooth to IR module that you mount somewhere in the room where it has line of site to all your gadgets. The tablet talks to that over Bluetooth and it then sends out the relevant IR codes. In principle it should work well but the reviews aren't great. I also think Wi-Fi would be a better idea for it as it's more widely supported. That said as devices become more "smart" and have built in Wi-Fi it just needs someone to come up with the killer app to control everything.

The other problem with tablets are they are less tactile than a regular remote but I guess it's something to get used to.
Old 31 January 2013, 12:16 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

They've scaled there oprations right back,

no headphones or gaming peripherals either

Mart
Old 31 January 2013, 06:46 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Suppose there is less chance losing the tablet down the sofa, or the missus putting it in the fridge during an air head moment
Old 31 January 2013, 08:30 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
or the missus putting it in the fridge during an air head moment

You were joking though right?
Old 31 January 2013, 09:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

My concern is that the harmony software app stores the settings on their servers. So if hey shut them down in the future, how do you update the remote / change settings?
Old 31 January 2013, 10:13 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

At least the later model Pronto remotes occasionally pop up on Ebay. I have a TSU9600 with the wi-fi IR extender, and it seems to work well. At least there's no reliance on 3rd party servers, so it's not going to become unusable just because the manufacturer decides to no longer support it.