ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Logitech to get out of Remote Control Business - Gosh! (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/963880-logitech-to-get-out-of-remote-control-business-gosh.html)

Dr Hu 30 January 2013 01:32 PM

Logitech to get out of Remote Control Business - Gosh!

Stunned at this news..... have had several Logitech All in Ones.... an 885 that I had for years, and only very recently replaced with a new Logitech Touch... which I think is *fantastic*

So surprised they have dropped the sector:eek:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/logitec...cle13_headline

LSherratt 30 January 2013 01:49 PM

Even keyboards and mouse?

I thought they did very good mice in my opinion.

Graz 31 January 2013 08:58 AM

Was thinking of buying one of their Harmony Touch remotes as well. Do I get one before they stop making them?

Dr Hu 31 January 2013 09:04 AM

Well I can't think of many other vendors TBH.... so I would yes.

AndyC_772 31 January 2013 09:30 AM

That's really disappointing, though I can't say I'm all that surprised. Philips dropped the superb Pronto range of remote controls a while back, and last year Logitech dumped the equally superb Squeezebox family of audio players - as if they don't want to make quality, high end products that require some technical know-how any more.

I used to regard Logitech highly, but even the last couple of mice and keyboards I've bought from them have had shoddy build quality. They've really gone downhill, and I'm not aware of anyone else who is really in a position to step in and replace them :(

Graz 31 January 2013 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 10968884)
That's really disappointing, though I can't say I'm all that surprised. Philips dropped the superb Pronto range of remote controls a while back, and last year Logitech dumped the equally superb Squeezebox family of audio players - as if they don't want to make quality, high end products that require some technical know-how any more.

I used to regard Logitech highly, but even the last couple of mice and keyboards I've bought from them have had shoddy build quality. They've really gone downhill, and I'm not aware of anyone else who is really in a position to step in and replace them :(

That's the problem really. I'm about to embark on putting together a home cinema PC and by all accounts the Logitech remotes were the best devices to control one, along with all the other stuff I have connected to the TV in the living room. If they stop making them what else is there? Biggest problem is with it being a niche product and therefore perceived by the bean counters that run these companies to not be profitable, therefore why both making it :(

The future is probably controlling everything from your tablet. I can already do this with my TV (via Wi-Fi) but the remote control app just isn't as good as the real thing. I have also seen a Bluetooth to IR module that you mount somewhere in the room where it has line of site to all your gadgets. The tablet talks to that over Bluetooth and it then sends out the relevant IR codes. In principle it should work well but the reviews aren't great. I also think Wi-Fi would be a better idea for it as it's more widely supported. That said as devices become more "smart" and have built in Wi-Fi it just needs someone to come up with the killer app to control everything.

The other problem with tablets are they are less tactile than a regular remote but I guess it's something to get used to.

mart360 31 January 2013 12:16 PM

They've scaled there oprations right back,

no headphones or gaming peripherals either

Mart

mrmadcap 31 January 2013 06:46 PM

Suppose there is less chance losing the tablet down the sofa, or the missus putting it in the fridge during an air head moment

LSherratt 31 January 2013 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by mrmadcap (Post 10969474)
or the missus putting it in the fridge during an air head moment

:lol1:

You were joking though right? :Suspiciou

Markus 31 January 2013 09:44 PM

My concern is that the harmony software app stores the settings on their servers. So if hey shut them down in the future, how do you update the remote / change settings?

AndyC_772 31 January 2013 10:13 PM

At least the later model Pronto remotes occasionally pop up on Ebay. I have a TSU9600 with the wi-fi IR extender, and it seems to work well. At least there's no reliance on 3rd party servers, so it's not going to become unusable just because the manufacturer decides to no longer support it.