Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Apple Shares Collapse ....

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2013, 08:53 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Apple Shares Collapse ....

.... good grief, the Golden Child has let its Halo slip .....

12% knocked off its value today alone

I knew that the Nexus7 was taking all the sales from the iPad - but, they are blaming the iPhone as the market slip up ...... again, here the Nexus4 Phone has taken sales

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90N0GP20130124

Last edited by pslewis; 24 January 2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 24 January 2013, 08:56 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no surprise there they need to get there phone prices inline with the likes of Samsung etc
Old 24 January 2013, 09:07 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Maybe people have realised, finally, that they are getting a right royal shafting by buying into the Apple faith?

They are quality products, make no mistake .... it's just that the competition has caught up and offer better for less.

Samsung S3 - far better than any iPhone by all accounts.

Nexus4 - the same, at a bargain price.

Nexus7 - kicks the ipad Mini into the smelly stuff.

It must be good for the consumer that there are new kids in town - how will Apple drop their prices without letting their fanbase realise that they have been stitched up in the past?
Old 24 January 2013, 09:09 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mods pls move this to the computer area, would love to see Lewis and Jack square off, thanks.
Old 24 January 2013, 09:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

This is about SharePrice and Investments not Computer stuff ..... Jack can post here.
Old 24 January 2013, 09:17 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

He won't see it here.
Old 24 January 2013, 09:18 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

agree im happy with my galaxy s 3 i will soon be getting a note 2 all being well

I also have a galaxy note 10.1 great tablet the nexus 7 was just a little small for me and the 10" version wasn't out or i would of got that

used ipads etc but there just so overpriced and god damn restricted until you jailbreak it
Old 24 January 2013, 10:34 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bioforger
He won't see it here.
Of course he will, his Apple radar sweeps NSR every hour or so
Old 24 January 2013, 10:44 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Hopefully this will be the push that makes Apple innovate more and push the game along.

As far as I can see, there hasn't really been anything properly new from Apple over the past few years, just improvements on the old stuff.
Old 24 January 2013, 10:59 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Of course he will, his Apple gaydar sweeps NSR every hour or so
EFA
Old 25 January 2013, 07:26 AM
Oldun
Scooby Regular

Just how many cans of worms do you have Pete?
Old 25 January 2013, 07:41 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Which shows you the fickleness of the market. Apple are doing phenomenally well: Sales up, profit up (slightly) but that still isn't good enough...
Old 25 January 2013, 10:25 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Because, a blind man on a galloping horse can see that Apple have seriously lost market share ...... and nothing will retrieve them, except the admittance that they have treated their fanboys and fangirls with no respect as they stole their money (and that in itself lends Apple to become a word for Rip-Off).
Old 25 January 2013, 11:15 AM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

CUPERTINO, California—January 23, 2013—Apple® today announced financial results for its 13-week fiscal 2013 first quarter ended December 29, 2012. The Company posted record quarterly revenue of $54.5 billion and record quarterly net profit of $13.1 billion, or $13.81 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $46.3 billion and net profit of $13.1 billion, or $13.87 per diluted share, in the 14-week year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 38.6 percent compared to 44.7 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 61 percent of the quarter’s revenue.

Average weekly revenue was $4.2 billion in the quarter compared to $3.3 billion in the year-ago quarter.

The Company sold a record 47.8 million iPhones in the quarter, compared to 37 million in the year-ago quarter. Apple also sold a record 22.9 million iPads during the quarter, compared to 15.4 million in the year-ago quarter. The Company sold 4.1 million Macs, compared to 5.2 million in the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 12.7 million iPods in the quarter, compared to 15.4 million in the year-ago quarter.

Apple’s Board of Directors has declared a cash dividend of $2.65 per share of the Company’s common stock. The dividend is payable on February 14, 2013, to shareholders of record as of the close of business on February 11, 2013.

“We’re thrilled with record revenue of over $54 billion and sales of over 75 million iOS devices in a single quarter,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “We’re very confident in our product pipeline as we continue to focus on innovation and making the best products in the world.”

“We’re pleased to have generated over $23 billion in cash flow from operations during the quarter,” said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple’s CFO. “We established new all-time quarterly records for iPhone and iPad sales, significantly broadened our ecosystem, and generated Apple’s highest quarterly revenue ever.”

Apple is providing the following guidance for its fiscal 2013 second quarter:

• revenue between $41 billion and $43 billion
• gross margin between 37.5 percent and 38.5 percent
• operating expenses between $3.8 billion and $3.9 billion
• other income/(expense) of $350 million
• tax rate of 26%

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q1 2013 financial results conference call beginning at 2:00 p.m. PST on January 23, 2013 at www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq113. This webcast will also be available for replay for approximately two weeks thereafter.
Old 25 January 2013, 11:53 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Apple had a great quarter, record sales in the face of cheap and lack lustre competition, unfortunately some people have been fooled into thinking these copies are as good as the real thing, some people like Tesco Cola, who am I to judge.

The value was ridiculous, the sensible sold at least some at that ridiculous price, lovely wood burner in my lounge, thanks Apple.

I take it no one took my advice to buy at $80.
Old 25 January 2013, 12:07 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by JackClark
Apple had a great quarter, record sales in the face of cheap and lack lustre competition, unfortunately some people have been fooled into thinking these copies are as good as the real thing, some people like Tesco Cola, who am I to judge.

The value was ridiculous, the sensible sold at least some at that ridiculous price, lovely wood burner in my lounge, thanks Apple.

I take it no one took my advice to buy at $80.
'some' people seems to be most of the rest of the finacial world jack. me thinks your worshiped apple might not be as good as you thought
Old 25 January 2013, 01:01 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

We are fully Mac'd and Iphoned up; granted they are pricey but they work and integrate well. Most people in our industry use their stuff.
Old 25 January 2013, 01:37 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

They're offering a free tablet with the galaxy s3 mini on £26 per month to help them shift
Old 25 January 2013, 04:26 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Ant
They're offering a free tablet with the galaxy s3 mini on £26 per month to help them shift
There must be warehouses full of that tat. I never see anything but iPads in the wild.
Old 25 January 2013, 04:37 PM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

I have been a devoted Apple freak but must admit my next phone will be the Galaxy S3.
Old 25 January 2013, 04:55 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

As mentioned on another thread, go have a read of some of the items on http://daringfireball.net in regards to the stock slide. Some interesting information there about why there is a knee-jerk reaction, and that it's not signalling the end of Apple
Old 27 January 2013, 10:41 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

My take on Apple currently is that they are starting to fall into a trap that Steve Jobs never let happen.

When Apple brought out an iPhone or an iPad you knew it was going to be around for around a year as the 'current' model or if it was less than that the new model was kept heaviuly under wraps. There was also one iPhone 'stream' and one iPad 'stream'.

Now it seems we are getting new models or at least news of them in a much shorter time frame. The iPhone5 hadn't even launched and iPhone6 tags were turning up in dev logs, the third generation iPad was superceded within 6 months, the iPad mini has confused things further and now we hear talk of two new iPhones of different sizes.

All this makes peopel a) unsure about whiat to buy and b) wondering given the shorter timeframe whether they should ride it out to the next model.

One thing Appe have been very good at is persuading a loyal fan base to upgrade each time... I now think that is no longer the case and it must be part of what is hurting them.
Old 27 January 2013, 10:53 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I agree but see it as temporary and necessary, an extra iPad had to be produced due to the new connector, the iPad mini was customer demand and it's a great addition to the range. I'm waiting for the 5S just as I waited for the 3GS and 4S, no disruption to my purchase pattern and my phone will be two years old when I upgrade, can't really complain especially as it's still fully supported by Apple and App developers.
Old 27 January 2013, 11:14 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Its certainly true, especially with phones...I'm on contract when ends in Spring, so I have to wait 12month before I can upgrade at a sensible price...in that time the iP5 has been launched and now talk of a iP6/5s in Spring/Summer, so that would make me want to hold out with the IP4s until that is launched.

Anyhoo, I probably won't have another iphone anyway unless they make it shorter again...they are too big now. Plus the unresolved intermittant "no service" problem in good signal areas has put me off anyway. Maybe if they spent more time on getting the product right before launch rather than plasterring it with a stream of regular firmware/software updates, its customer base wouldn't be so annoyed?
Old 27 January 2013, 12:41 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Its certainly true, especially with phones...I'm on contract when ends in Spring, so I have to wait 12month before I can upgrade at a sensible price...in that time the iP5 has been launched and now talk of a iP6/5s in Spring/Summer, so that would make me want to hold out with the IP4s until that is launched.

Anyhoo, I probably won't have another iphone anyway unless they make it shorter again...they are too big now. Plus the unresolved intermittant "no service" problem in good signal areas has put me off anyway. Maybe if they spent more time on getting the product right before launch rather than plasterring it with a stream of regular firmware/software updates, its customer base wouldn't be so annoyed?
that is the sort feedback i get, great device, crap phone

which seem backed up by the amount of Iphone users carrying 2 phones
Old 27 January 2013, 12:52 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Yeah, I see a ton of Android users carrying iPhones to use as a device and a Nokia to use as a phone. They often have a trim phone in their backpack just in case.
Old 27 January 2013, 01:45 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I have a Nokia 8310e for such purposes...tiny, excellent signal and 10days of "real world" standby time, and roughly 5days with regular use

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 January 2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 27 January 2013, 02:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I have a Nokia N8, it's like the **** car that follows the presenters on Top Gear.
Old 27 January 2013, 07:06 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Although Im not overly impressed with the iPhone 4S I cant bring myself to buy a phone at that price made of plastic. Aesthetics rarely get mentioned but I would rather own a phone that's built from quality materials and is twice as nice to look at and hold than one that has 5% better performance.
Old 27 January 2013, 07:38 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by SRSport
Although Im not overly impressed with the iPhone 4S I cant bring myself to buy a phone at that price made of plastic. Aesthetics rarely get mentioned but I would rather own a phone that's built from quality materials and is twice as nice to look at and hold than one that has 5% better performance.
You're a form over function type, but then, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Quick Reply: Apple Shares Collapse ....