Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Laptop keys not working

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2013, 10:25 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Laptop keys not working

I have been away on holiday for the Xmas and my laptop was just put to one side, it was stored in a cold area of the house dunno if that makes any difference as when I switched it on and tried to type half the keys aren't responding. I can hold down half the keys and absolutely nothing happens.

It's an HP laptop and its about 18months old, anyone heard of this sort of thing before? Just curious if its hardware or software related.
Old 08 January 2013, 12:49 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hware more than likely, I've had single keys fail due to use, but not a whole group of keys in one job lot. You might of got some moisture in there and shorted it. Try leaving it overnight open in a warm area.

The keyboards are plug and play and pretty simple to replace. eBay for a replacement and youtube (hopefully) on how to get the case apart to access the ribbon connector of the keyboard, if you weren't sure.
Old 08 January 2013, 09:32 AM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You haven't knocked a keyboard lock switch have you? Although if some of them are working and some of them are not, then I guess not?
Old 09 January 2013, 11:39 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HP keyboards are notorious for not working, sometimes they start back after a few hours, but as said above pretty cheap and easy to replace. I had to replace mine after 8 months CBA to take it back to get it done.