Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

DECT, long range, wifi

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2013, 12:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DECT, long range, wifi

My new lounge is like a Faraday cage with all the foil in the walls and ceilings. I have put a phone socket in there, but we would like two other phones that do not have sockets anywhere near. I could perhaps run cables to them if I have to.

The house and workshop in the courtyard where my wife works during the day are challenging to say the least to get radio signals around due to thick stone walls. I am running 4 no 2.4 GHz wireless routers linked by Cat 6 to cover everywhere with wifi but I cannot see any gizmos that allow you to use your wifi to reach a base station to connect to your land line. Another example of how difficult the radio signals are is that a wireless doorbell needed to be 200m rated and carefully positioned to go a fraction of that difference.

I see there is a power limit on DECT, but some such as Panasonic offer repeaters (about £60 each) but that a triple DECT setup that looks decent can be £50 or so.

What would you do in this situation? If I do run more telephone cable then I can just plug in wired phones where I want them, but if I want wireless do I buy a load of "single DECT" phone kits so they each have their own base station and service that area?

I know I should have thought about this as I was doing the network, and to some degree I did, but am just getting up to speed on DECT. The few old wireless phones I have (Hub phone which I think is DECT using the landline and a BT Freelance XD100 DECT that is useful in the same or adjacent room but that is about it).

Will I get better range than these old BT wireless phones with new Panasonic KX-TG8063?