Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Gmail?

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2012, 03:51 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gmail?

I have a GMail account which I also have setup in Outlook and on my mobile using IMAP.

When I delete a message on my mobile it goes into the "Bin" folder in the GMail web interface.

I notice there is also a Deleted Items folder in the web interface (and also listed in Outlook) but nothing seems to ever go in there. If I delete an email from the "Bin" folder in the web interface it is then permanently deleted...... why is there a "Bin" folder and a "Deleted Items" folder?

Also,what determines if a message is classed as "Important"? If I send a test mail from another account of mine, the email then shows in the GMail account as being in the "Inbox" and "Important"? GMail seems to have multiple folders for the same thing........ as far as I can work out, which gets a little confusing???

Also just noticed - if I delete an email from my phone, the message only shows in the web interface under "All Mail", nothing is in "Bin" or "Deleted Items" or "Imap Trash"? Not a great proplem but sometimes I like to just "clear" them from my phone and not delete them off the "server". I have another mail account on my phone using POP3 and I have the option then to set it to delete the mail from my phone but leave it on the server, don't seem to get this option for IMAP?

Last edited by stiscooby; 17 November 2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 17 November 2012, 04:48 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Good luck. The path you're following has broken many a man. IMAP is fantastic and it's worth gaining an understanding of what's going on, you need to look at how GMAIL folder are actually Labels, emails can be moved to the trash and archived, and applications like Outlook map folders - labels - differently depending on the day of week.
Old 18 November 2012, 12:48 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Made a bit more progress.....

My mobile is a htc so has the htc sense software running on it. I have found if I use the mail option on the phone, when I delete the email it just goes into the "all mail" folder in gmail. If I use the actual gmail app on my phone and I delete an email it goes into the "bin" folder in gmail. If I "archive" a mail from the gmail app then the message goes into "all mail" so it seems if an email is deleted from the htc sense mail app it acts the same as archiving, must be the way that particular app handles the mail.

In outlook you can select which folder the deleted emails go into so that's not a problem.

As yet I can't see what actually sends an email into deleted items in gmail or what that's used for?
Old 18 November 2012, 01:49 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

is it an android phone or windows? if android use the gmail app its brilliant and you wont have any of these problems, the problem you are having is you are trying to use a modern email system (gmail) with a very old system (pop/imap)
Old 18 November 2012, 03:20 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Yep, it's Android.

Your correct, the GMail app does work better (puts emails where I expect to find them etc).

I have another email account already setup in the HTC Sense email app so was just trying to use the same app for all mail accounts, not that it really matters. Plus now I know if I do use the HTC Sense mail app to delete an email I now find it in "All Mail" in the GMail web interface.
Old 18 November 2012, 03:48 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Agreed with above - Junk outlook and join the rest of the world using your browser or phone app.
Old 18 December 2012, 04:50 PM
jack.west
Scooby Regular

Outlook is still good from a business perspective, but you are right shaun, you can use the browser nowadays, and this is pretty much the same as using outlook.

As mentioned, the Gmail app is more compatible than using anything else.

There's a lot more new technologies coming out now, so maybe purchase yourself your own domain name and use an exchange account on the cloud? Real time emails on your computer and phone.

Anyway hope this helps