Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Come on Apple - Sort it out

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2012, 11:46 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Come on Apple - Sort it out

I was on the fringe of ordering moments ago (Vodafone still have on-line stock for immediate despatch 32 & 64GB if anyone is interested), but after looking that the lightning to 30pin connectors are not available yet (and the price of them!!!), I've decided against it for now. It's just too inconvenient.

Convenience is a big "thing" for me and Apple has certainly reduced that element for me right now.

Why on earth change the connector, unless it's for some kind of massive technical reason. Making it even worse the fact that you can't even buy the adpaters yet.

Come on Apple - don't be muppets.

It makes sense to wait until these are available (I think I'll need several to give me my convenience back) on eBay for a vastly reduced price, prior to me joing the latest 5 crew. Shouldn't take long hopefully.

Bit of a launch **** up though imo.
Old 22 September 2012, 12:29 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The redesign on the adaptor is overdue and it hasn't needed such a massive one for a long time.

They should, however, have included a free adaptor for the iPhone 5 launch and certainly have others available for immediate sale.
Old 22 September 2012, 01:53 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've said elsewhere that I'd not be shocked if they are waiting to see how much of a backlash there is against the new connector and the 5 not shipping with an adaptor, and I'd not be shocked to see them have a "get your free adapter" type thing, same as with the bumper cases when the 4 came out.

I agree it is very odd that you cannot get the adapters on launch day (presuming they aren't in store? Friend did pick up an additional USB to lightning cable, so those are around)
Old 22 September 2012, 02:01 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The convertors aren't available until October. The USB lead is not the answer if you use a 30pin connection for audio preference. I also don't want new charging leads when I still have other apple devices in the home and office utilising the 30 pin method.

Apple devices and their connection method, revolve around the 30 pin connection.

It's quite a ***** up on a number of fronts IMO.
Old 22 September 2012, 02:57 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Charge it using your own charger. Use Airplay or an Audio cable.

It's definately a purposeful move by Apple, people will forget the need for one, save them a few quid. I'd want the other adaptor more so I can charge my iPad.
Old 22 September 2012, 03:22 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Jack,
Think a touch outside of your box with regard to what this actually means to many people.

I connect my phone to at least two audio docks in my house.

I charge my phone normally via my PC or charger downstairs, both via the 30pin.

I have an iPad and my other half has a 30pin iPhone.

I don't want to have several leads around the house, doubling up on what I have now.

This is virtually mirrored for me at work and within my car (for audio connection and charging).

I'm sorry, but this is a pain in the **** and enough of a pain for me not to buy one right now, as I can't even purchase a convertor block at an extortionate price of £25-£30. And I will need a number of these when they finally get released.

To make connection as "easy" as it currently is with my 4, I will end up having to purchase a number of these convertors.

Do you really think I'm going to "forget" I need one in the short to medium term. lol
Old 22 September 2012, 04:22 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Shaun, Keep an eye on monoprice, I'm sure there will be adapters appearing on there. I would not be shocked if someone came up with a dual tail type thing, USB on one end and one tail has a 30 pin, the other a lightning connector. Ok, so you'd need a couple of them, but at least you would have a single cable for both purposes.

I can see the technical reason they've gone with the new connector, and all new / updated apple devices will start using it (iPod Touch, iPad Mini, The New(er) iPad (iPad4), and whatever else they come up with)

From a personal standpoint, I would need an adaptor for my car stereo. I believe it doesn't use iPod Output, which isn't, yet, supported by the adaptors, so I should be ok. I don't overly want to use Bluetooth for music as the dock connector cable allows control of music from the head unit.
Old 22 September 2012, 04:30 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

There are a rake of adaptors on eBay. They are cheap but again not available until October.
Old 22 September 2012, 04:43 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I agree with you Shaun, but technically (well, space wise) it is much better to have the small socket.

It will be a pain for a while as I have multiple devices around the house that the iPhone (and iPad and iPod) sit on to charge that will each require an adaptor that will of course have to be removed when I want to charge the other device.
Old 22 September 2012, 05:14 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

It will affect me too Shaun, but in the grand scheme of iPhone 5 users, were pretty rare.

How about attaching an adaptor to your phone with Velcro, you'll only need one then and looks aren't everything.
Old 23 September 2012, 01:16 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
It will affect me too Shaun, but in the grand scheme of iPhone 5 users, were pretty rare.

How about attaching an adaptor to your phone with Velcro, you'll only need one then and looks aren't everything.
you really are a trolling gobsh1te
Old 23 September 2012, 01:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The adapter doesn't look dock-friendly though. Also seen talk that it doesn't work properly for video out.

So adapter or not, IP5 is going to be a pain in the **** for anyone with existing docks with AV kit (incar or home cinema etc).

For example...will Onkyo make a compatible dock that will function with their older (discontinued) products? I doubt it. So thats £600 down the drain already for a 18 month old amplifier.

Having said that I've never liked the old style connector...A dock is essential for the old connector as ergonomically it is useless and fiddly- ever tried connecting it one handed whilst driving by feel alone without looking? I suggest you don't try it on a public road.
Old 23 September 2012, 02:14 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

One thing I will say about the new connector - it is much faster than the old one when restoring a phone or transferring things.
Old 23 September 2012, 03:06 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bigsinky
you really are a trolling gobsh1te
Are you serious? My post was in some way useful, your personal insult adds nothing to this thread. Who put a poker up your ****?
Old 23 September 2012, 03:09 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Having said that I've never liked the old style connector...A dock is essential for the old connector as ergonomically it is useless and fiddly- ever tried connecting it one handed whilst driving by feel alone without looking? I suggest you don't try it on a public road.
Micro USB is worse, I break connectors trying to get one in my TomTom.

It's a great shame that some people will be let down, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to have spent 100's on a specific dock to have it last months. But, as many have said the connector was over ten years old and in the grand scheme of things Apple have done well.
Old 23 September 2012, 05:03 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Micro USB is worse, I break connectors trying to get one in my TomTom.

It's a great shame that some people will be let down, I certainly wouldn't have wanted to have spent 100's on a specific dock to have it last months. But, as many have said the connector was over ten years old and in the grand scheme of things Apple have done well.
How ham fisted are you? I've never broken a micro usb cable

I agree we needed a faster connection, it just sucks that I have to spend hundreds of pounds in order to upgrade everything.
Old 23 September 2012, 05:52 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CREWJ
How ham fisted are you? I've never broken a micro usb cable
Never broken a Micro USB cable but the sockets are pants tbh.
Old 23 September 2012, 05:59 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by CREWJ
I agree we needed a faster connection, it just sucks that I have to spend hundreds of pounds in order to upgrade everything.
I'd buy second hand iPods before I spent hundreds on adaptors, buy one and move it maybe but that would be it.
Old 23 September 2012, 08:36 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

I'd buy second hand iPods before I spent hundreds on adaptors, buy one and move it maybe but that would be it.
That's not a solution though. I don't want to carry around an ipod and my phone everywhere.

I have an audio docking station, that would have to be changed as it's not compatible with the new connection.

I have ipod compatibility build into my head unit, that would have to be changed.

I have 2 chargers for each of my houses other wise I'd forget one and the battery would die. So I would either have to buy another cable or an adapter.

Plus I have a docking port for my computer so that would need to be replaced too.

Old 23 September 2012, 09:12 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Personally, although I have docking stations, when I look back I haven't used any of them for a long time.

I had a dock on my stereo, that's now an audio lead or airplay. I used to have a dock on my desk for my computer, wireless syncing got rid of that. My car stereo uses Bluetooth, but does sound better on a cable, that's where my adapter will go. I don't use a charge in a day very often.

I feel bad for you having to change your methods or buy adapters and hope Apple give one free.
Old 23 September 2012, 10:33 PM
Scooby-kid
Scooby Regular

People who say that they "have" to buy new this and new that, and that Apple are causing you a right pain in the ***....

You only "have" to buy all these new cables if you choose to buy the new iphone which is you're personal choice!

Yes, I'd be annoyed if apple release an update that rendered my cable useless - but if I choose to upgrade, then that's my choice

Scott.
Old 24 September 2012, 07:43 AM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Apple didnt tell me the update on my 4s would mean i cant stream my music by bluetooth on my car stereo anymore but guess what cant forward/rewind or play unless i do it from the phone now
Old 24 September 2012, 09:07 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid
Apple didnt tell me the update on my 4s would mean i cant stream my music by bluetooth on my car stereo anymore but guess what cant forward/rewind or play unless i do it from the phone now
This is a real issue. Not the first time a Bluetooth update has stopped in car streaming and it won't be the first time Apple have fixed it, I've posted on here the exact same issue with I think it was iOS4. Hold tight and wait for an update, .01 updates are often released soon after launch.
Old 24 September 2012, 09:13 AM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Ok jack thanks again
Old 24 September 2012, 01:55 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Scooby-kid
People who say that they "have" to buy new this and new that, and that Apple are causing you a right pain in the ***....

You only "have" to buy all these new cables if you choose to buy the new iphone which is you're personal choice!

Yes, I'd be annoyed if apple release an update that rendered my cable useless - but if I choose to upgrade, then that's my choice

Scott.
I'm glad you're not heading up Apples commercial sector..... or perhaps with that lack of commercial "common sense" you could well be!
Old 24 September 2012, 02:23 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

This is a real issue. Not the first time a Bluetooth update has stopped in car streaming and it won't be the first time Apple have fixed it, I've posted on here the exact same issue with I think it was iOS4. Hold tight and wait for an update, .01 updates are often released soon after launch.

This is why I don't really want to update. Other issues like battery drain and maps which are prevalent on the support communities.
Old 24 September 2012, 03:47 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Just tested mine with the Alpine BT module - old one - works as it did, no display of track names, working controls.

Map directions come through the stereo when connected by the lead which is nice.
Old 24 September 2012, 03:58 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

My track names showed up and i could forward/rewind songs then when i did the ios6 update its stopped working
Old 24 September 2012, 04:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by peter zippy reid
My track names showed up and i could forward/rewind songs then when i did the ios6 update its stopped working
It does seem like the fancier functions have messed things up, mine's very old, the forward/rewind and pause only started working a few updates ago.
Old 24 September 2012, 04:12 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Its not the end of the world i have usb connectivity

Quick Reply: Come on Apple - Sort it out