Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Installing Windows from a remote computer?

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2002, 09:33 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Is it possible to install a Windows operating system from a remote computer i.e. Server or another networked PC?

What I have in mind is - build a new system, make up some sort of boot disk for network card etc, connect to server/another PC and be able to select which operating system to install on the new system.

Excuse my stupidity if there is a very simple answer to my question. Any web sites/info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10 May 2002, 09:07 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Lightbulb

Don't see why not. Most modern PC's allow a network boot. So I suppose it would be possible. Never tried it though.

Probably easier to just put a CD in the drive tho
Old 10 May 2002, 10:00 AM
Petrol-Head
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

You can create a network boot disk it's a bit of a pain though, or probably the easiest way is to use Norton's GHOST to copy the image as a file ***.GHO then create a bootable C.D, when you do this it'll ask you for a system disk point it to the "a" drive and put a win98 bootup disk in, then copy the ***.gho image and GHOST.EXE to the c.d.
When you restart the p.c it's boots up from the c.d rom drive ...
select the boot with c.d rom option then run ghost from the C.D copy the image back to the hard drive...it's very simple once you created the image and c.d for each operating system.....just a point hough you'll need GHOST6.2 at least for Windows 2000. any probs et me know i could detail it a bit more for you....
Old 11 May 2002, 01:27 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

The ghost solution is fine if you are using it for another pc of the same build. If it is different then there will be an amount of extra work to do in changing drivers and the like.

Another option is to use the windows preinstallation kit, but if you are only talking about one pc then it's not worth the effort.
Old 11 May 2002, 01:45 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Smile

install RIS on Win2K server, this allows you to create images of required OS & get clients to either use pxe enabled lan card to search for dhcp server, then RIS delivers a dos choice menu....
or create a client boot disk which does the pxe stuff if the adapter is not worthy...

or as other reply thread above use multicast image software like ghost explorer, power quest drive image, etc & either push image out via pxe enabled cards or client boot disk again....

hope this helps.

shunty