Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

OSX 10.4 upto 10.5 What are the advantages ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2012, 12:55 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink OSX 10.4 upto 10.5 What are the advantages ?

My macbook runs 10.4.11 for normal home use, nothing fancy. If I get the install for 10.5 (Leopard ?) then what are the advantages from running this system ? Would I have the option to do more if I wanted to, would it run as quickly or more slowly on the macbook, is it better than Tiger ?
Next year we get superfast bb in the area and I don't really want to have to buy a new computer so was just wondering if a systems upgrade might be a good idea.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers and thanks

JBL
Old 14 August 2012, 06:59 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

You could do more insofar as new features of 10.5 could allow you to do something that 10.4 did not support.

It would probably run a little slower, as newer oses on older hardware tend to do. As for wether it is better than Tiger, it really depends on wether there is anything in Leopard that you want / need, or if there is an app that runs on Leopard that you want that does not run on Tiger.

I would check if your machine can run Leopard, there's an app called Mactracker that would let you know. If you give me the exact model (Look at the "About This Mac" item under the Apple menu) I'll tell you what it is and wether it'll run it.

One thing, not sure if you're aware, but 10.5 is pretty old. We are, albeit just, on 10.8 now, and 10.7 was out for at least a year, and before that was 10.6, which was around for at least a year, if perhaps not a little longer.

Any updates to apps may well not support anything less than 10.6, all depends on what you use and need.

It may well be worth saving money on the OS upgrade and putting it towards an updated machine that will run the latest OS and apps.
Old 14 August 2012, 08:21 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Thought it was old ! Identifier is 1,1 !!
It's a bit like an old pair of slippers, I'm comfortable with it but know it won't last for ever and a newer machine makes so much more sense, but ....if it aint broke etc.

Perhaps next year when the village gets the superfast broadband will be the time to splash the cash--gives me time to save.
Thanks Markus.

Brian.
Old 16 August 2012, 01:12 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ok, if it really is reporting back MacBook1,1 as the model then it is an May 2006 13" MacBook 32-bit based machine. Originally came with 10.4.8 (Tiger), Latest version of the OS it will support is 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).