Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

IPv6 - Talk to me

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2012, 05:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default IPv6 - Talk to me

As we all probobly know IPv6 is comming along in the not-too distant future.

The question is...as a end consumer on Virgin (and BT/One Bill ADSL at my places of work). Is there anything that I need to replace?

Point being I'm very soon to buy a load of equipment, and don't want to be in a situation where it needs junking in say 2years time bacause its not IPv6 compatible.

For instance I'm on the verge of buying a Draytek 2830n...its IPv4 only. Is this an issue? Be it in ADSL mode or with the internal ADSL disabled and connected to net via another modem/gateway.

My knowhow of IPv6 is limited to knowing that its just a bigger address pool. How that is managed once its gets onto a LAN is beyond me...For example would a IPv6 gateway sort it all out without the need to change anything else? Seems everything I've googled is aimed at big business networks.

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 August 2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09 August 2012, 11:14 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm in the fortunate position of working for a company that also has on its payroll one of the world's leading IPv6 experts, who I was lucky enough to get a 2-day crash course from on the subject just a few months ago (this gets me mahoooosive bragging rights down the pub of a friday night, I can tell ya ).

Anyhow, to answer your questions, odds are you're not going to need to replace any of your home routers, switches, hubs etc for a good couple of decades, if ever, and there's two main reasons for that. One, if ISPs started making their customers go down this route, the alienation/irritation it would cause would be huge (costing them floods of lost customers), so they're gong to do their level best to avoid it if they can, by implementing bridging infrastructure that allows IPv4 clients to connect seamlessly to IPv6 backbone without any need for equipment upgrades anywhere down the chain (the people I work for are leading the field in producing that bridging infrastructure, although currently the take-up is still mostly from big corporates). Two, there's unlikely to be any need for ISPs to boot home customers off their existing IPv4 address space, because the home internet market is pretty much saturated and has been for some years, meaning virtually all of the growth in demand for new addresses is now in the mobile device market. Since these are all built with full IPv6 support, ISPs get to completely bypass the problem of finding those devices an IPv4 address and then switch them all over to IPv6 some time later, and just connect them on IPv6 from the off (anyone with a 3G phone in this country is almost certainly connected with an IPv6 address when they go online, and the same's true in most parts of the world that have 3G or 4G).

Hope this helps
Old 09 August 2012, 11:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers, that clarified the main issue.

Although one question with the 3G. The Draytek 2830 router uses a 3G USB dongle to connect to the net when the ADSL fails. Would it still work if the 3G network goes over to ipv6?
Old 09 August 2012, 11:59 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Cheers, that clarified the main issue.

Although one question with the 3G. The Draytek 2830 router uses a 3G USB dongle to connect to the net when the ADSL fails. Would it still work if the 3G network goes over to ipv6?
Looks like they're planning to add support in a firmware upgrade some time:

Vigor2830 has inherited all the leading features from Vigor2820 series, including the Object-based Firewall, Applications CSM, URL Content Filters, Web Content Filters, QoS Bandwidth Management, VPN, VoIP, Wireless LAN and USB Applications.
Additional features Advanced Apps QoS and IPv6 are currently still in development but are likely to be released in future firmware updates.
http://blog.draytek.com.au/tag/vigor2830-series/

Slightly surprised the dongle isn't connecting on IPv6 already, so it would be interesting to see if it does when it's hooked up to a laptop or tablet (assuming you have the dongle yet).

Last edited by markjmd; 10 August 2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10 August 2012, 10:34 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Yeah already have the 3G dongle. Its just a Huwai(sp) provided by O2 (and a 2820n - just planning on getting another for home) Currently its plugged into a 2820n to provide backup internet should the ADSL fail (which it did last week when some ******* cut the phone lines ).

I've never checked the ip allocation; just assumed if its plugged into a IPv4 router it will only handle IPv4 addressing. All I know is currently it works.

IPv6 on firmware upgrade sounds promising though - if it ever materialise.
Old 11 August 2012, 09:31 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

serveral transition technologies exist -- and built into most up to date OS's

see

Toredo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling

6to4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6to4

the above seem similiar but do subtly different things

the real challange for people is the need for a complete mindset change in terms of network security as the natural NAT barrier will no longer be there (no nat-ing in IPV6) - so the Firewall takes on even greater importance

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 11 August 2012 at 09:33 AM.