Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Broadband speed - can anyone explain why...

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2012, 05:54 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broadband speed - can anyone explain why...

I was getting 6 mbps after an ISP 'reset' and it's now back to 2.5 mbps?

Last Saturday our broadband slowed to a crawl, about 130 kbps.

I phoned our ISP (Newnet) and after I'd tried a different router, they suggested a 'reset' at their end, after which it would take up to 10 days for the speed to settle down.

For the first 48 hours, speedtest was showing a steady download speed of just over 6 mbps, problem appeared sorted and it was much quicker than our usual 2.5 mbps.

Fast forward another couple of days, and the speed has returned to a steady 2.5 mbps.

So what's an ISP 'reset'? and why haven't I been able to maintain the 6 mbps we saw earlier?

First time in 5 years I've had to contact Newnet support, been very reliable so far.

I've run one of these on-line tests before (poss BT) and it said 2.5 mbps was achievable, with 5.0 mbps being the max.

So if I was getting a steady 6.0, do BT throttle back the service to 2.5 mbps for some sort of contractural reason?
Old 19 July 2012, 10:43 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Your line will train itself over a period of 10days, trying various speeds and see what it senses as being stable.... and try to maintain that, or drop the speed down.

It sounds like your maximum speed was attained and something has caused your speed profile to be taken down due to detected errors or disconnections. This can be caused by all manner of things and your initial speed on a during your learning period, is never something you can assume your line will always attain.

Either you have a problem with your line, equipment or exchange... or 2.5Mb is the best you can attain reliably.

I assume that your speed was normally 6Mb prior to this recent issue? If it was, it would point to a problem somewhere, which I would get back in touch with your provider about. They will certainly tell you to wait until the end of the training period though, before I suspect they do much.

How are you measuring the speed by the way - this may explain some things?
Old 22 July 2012, 05:16 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had something similar with my broadband (Sky)
Ended up being a problem at the distribution box for my house.