Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

What's going on?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2012, 10:01 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What's going on?

I have been with PlusNet for a few months now - moved away from BT (although I do know BT own PlusNet).

When I kicked off with them my speed was absolute rubbish .... 1.3Mbps or thereabouts.

I complained to them, accusing them of throttling my speed, they - of course - said they weren't ..... it must be my wiring, my filters, my laptop, my desktop, my this, my that .... I told them that the only difference was a PlusNet Router.

They said they would look into it, and, amazingly the speed went up to the dizzy heights of 6Mbps .... sorted.

Then, about 4 weeks later, back down to 1.3Mbps .... contacted them again, they said it must be at my end - WRONG!!!

They said they would look into it, and, again, 6Mbps ...... sorted.

Then, once more, about 4 weeks later, back down to 1.3Mbps .... contacted them again, they said it must be at my end - WRONG!!!

Now, about 4 weeks later, back down to 1.3Mbps .... contacted them again .....

What are they playing at?

Can/Will they throttle a connection - then unthrottle - then throttle again?

I do not want any offers to throttle me - there aren't enough pages available on SN!

What do you reckon? It's costing me £3:50 a month, every month, and I'm not getting value for money!!!
Old 23 June 2012, 10:05 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you live in Yorkshire then Pete?
Old 23 June 2012, 10:07 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Routers will adapt over time to the "best" I.e. most stable speed

So quite normal to start at full theoretical speed and go down from there
Old 23 June 2012, 10:13 PM
Will
BANNED

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
So you live in Yorkshire then Pete?
?
I'm with them and I'm from Wales.
Old 23 June 2012, 10:15 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Im with sky and had a similar thing. Only difference was when it went crazy slow the internet would drop off completly. after a few days of testing and changing everything they finally said there was a fault on the line - The origonal call had highlighted this but the call centre said I had to go through the long winded process.

BT have since come out and repaired the line but we have had the line drop off once since. We are keeping a log to see if it was a one off...
Old 23 June 2012, 10:20 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Was considering plus net cos virgin seems bit rip off

Until I viewed statistics of what speeds users are getting in the area

BT comes out top
Old 23 June 2012, 10:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The speed drops so far sometimes that it all freezes up!!

I was getting better 13 years ago on Freeserve Dial-Up!!

Trending Topics

Old 23 June 2012, 10:34 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Do us a favour and un-plug it Pete.
dpb
Scooby Regular

Bottom line
Too many users and not enough investment in infrastructure
dpb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Do us a favour and un-plug it Pete.
This
Old 23 June 2012, 10:37 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

What would you do without me?
Old 23 June 2012, 11:10 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Celebrate?
Old 24 June 2012, 10:31 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have been with AOL for years now, always had good service and my speed is 4.5Mbps at the moment and that remains perfectly reliable. It is due to speed up in time, I live out in the sticks and we are waiting for the improved phone lines to be installed.

Les
Old 24 June 2012, 02:14 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Stop downloading so much **** or at least streaming it off the net, they notice when you do it Pete ;-p
Old 25 June 2012, 09:23 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Do you leave your ADSL router switched on 24/7?
Old 25 June 2012, 11:05 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Do you leave your ADSL router switched on 24/7?
I do leave mine on but I don't leave it connected to the phone line because a lightning strike on the phone line will fry it. I realise that does not optimise the connection but it works well enough anyway.

Phone lines are susceptible to lightning strikes and are not protected. A strike can affect the lines over a large srea.

Les
Old 25 June 2012, 11:10 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I do leave mine on but I don't leave it connected to the phone line because a lightning strike on the phone line will fry it. I realise that does not optimise the connection but it works well enough anyway.

Phone lines are susceptible to lightning strikes and are not protected. A strike can affect the lines over a large srea.

Les
Most these days are surge protected and anyway in the last 25 years BT have put in dissipate points all over there network, you have as much chance of frying your router due to lightning as you have on winning the lottery.
Old 25 June 2012, 11:25 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

For ADSL Max, and it's probably advisable for other flavours of ADSL, you should not be turning off your router or disconnecting it. The adaptive techniques used to give the best speed for your line will interpret loss of sync (i.e. turning off or unplugging the router) as a potential line problem and will lower your speed in an attempt to stabalise the line. Then only after many hours / several days of uninterrupted connection will your line speed improve again.

This is why I asked Pete if he left his router switched on as if he is switching it off everynight it will account for what he is seeing. I've witnessed this with my own hardware so it does happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSL_Max
Old 25 June 2012, 12:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Most these days are surge protected and anyway in the last 25 years BT have put in dissipate points all over there network, you have as much chance of frying your router due to lightning as you have on winning the lottery.
Well you have given me real hope now! I have had a router get fried because of a lightning strike so I must be due for a lottery win pretty soon now.

You should consider that if you get a direct lightning strike on the phone lines, and I have seen that happen, no amount of surge protection or BT dissipation circuits are going to protect the system against the several hundred million volts which is present in the average lightning strike. How many volts worth of current do you think it will take to destroy your router? Whatever dissipation or surge protection method is used, it will not prevent a significant voltage appearing on the input to your router as a percentage of what was powering the lightning strike!

Les
Old 25 June 2012, 12:04 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Indeed and your IP/bRAS profile (LLU ISP's) is set via the exchange, your ISP has nothing to do with this and takes 3 days minimum, in most instances, for your profile to match your sync speed, the one you see in your router stats.
Old 25 June 2012, 12:08 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Well you have given me real hope now! I have had a router get fried because of a lightning strike so I must be due for a lottery win pretty soon now.

You should consider that if you get a direct lightning strike on the phone lines, and I have seen that happen, no amount of surge protection or BT dissipation circuits are going to protect the system against the several hundred million volts which is present in the average lightning strike. How many volts worth of current do you think it will take to destroy your router? Whatever dissipation or surge protection method is used, it will not prevent a significant voltage appearing on the input to your router as a percentage of what was powering the lightning strike!

Les
Yes it will, i know for a fact it will. Phone BT, they will offer you compensation for your router after an engineer has been out and checked the safety of your line, they may need to install an earthing rod near your house if they deem it a safety risk.
Old 25 June 2012, 12:10 PM
mattster12
Scooby Regular

http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...nagement.shtml
Old 25 June 2012, 12:12 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Actually, if you are getting 4.5Mbps and are in a rural location, then you are 100% on new equipment.
Old 25 June 2012, 12:50 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
Routers will adapt over time to the "best" I.e. most stable speed
I'm sorry but that's utter horse ****..... it's not the router that adapts it's your IP Profile, updated by BT and then aligned by your ISP.
Old 25 June 2012, 12:58 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
I have been with PlusNet for a few months now - moved away from BT (although I do know BT own PlusNet).

When I kicked off with them my speed was absolute rubbish .... 1.3Mbps or thereabouts.

I complained to them, accusing them of throttling my speed, they - of course - said they weren't ..... it must be my wiring, my filters, my laptop, my desktop, my this, my that .... I told them that the only difference was a PlusNet Router.

They said they would look into it, and, amazingly the speed went up to the dizzy heights of 6Mbps .... sorted.

Then, about 4 weeks later, back down to 1.3Mbps .... contacted them again, they said it must be at my end - WRONG!!!

Then, once more, about 4 weeks later, back down to 1.3Mbps .... contacted them again, they said it must be at my end - WRONG!!!

Now, about 4 weeks later, back down to 1.3Mbps .... contacted them again .....

What are they playing at?

Can/Will they throttle a connection - then unthrottle - then throttle again?

I do not want any offers to throttle me - there aren't enough pages available on SN!

What do you reckon? It's costing me £3:50 a month, every month, and I'm not getting value for money!!!
Is there a certain time of the day when you get the 1.3Mb, or is it when it happens it stays at that speed regardless?

If that's the case (stays at that speed), then there must be something with either your line (nothing to do with PN), your house wiring and/or your equipment which is reducing your IP Profile (your speed rating) and affecting your speed.

Again, assuming the above... PN maybe resetting (retraining) your line which set's everything back until the issue rises again and knocks your IP Profile down again.

As for the £3.50 a month comment..... you really are a **** stating the money side of things. WTF do you expect for £3.50 pm! roflol Anyway, that's by the by as I suspect this actual issue will be fairly easy to solve with some logical steps.
Old 26 June 2012, 02:49 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes it will, i know for a fact it will. Phone BT, they will offer you compensation for your router after an engineer has been out and checked the safety of your line, they may need to install an earthing rod near your house if they deem it a safety risk.
Well that does amaze me I must say, dissipating all that voltage so that it won't damage any equipment on the line is really going some.

Too late now to contact BT about the fizzed router anyway. We did get the local major junction just down the road seriously damaged by a strike, it all caught fire, so that influenced my earlier answer. That was quite a while ago so maybe they have done something about it now.

I do have good earthing rods here anyway because I am a radio Ham but not connected in any way to the 'phone system.

Thanks for the information anyway.

Les
Old 26 June 2012, 02:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Actually, if you are getting 4.5Mbps and are in a rural location, then you are 100% on new equipment.
Maybe we are-I can't say. I was expecting it all to take off when they installed fibre optical leads.

Les