Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

that point ....

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2012, 08:48 PM
eagle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default that point ....

where you think you have done all your homework,
then reality slowly sinks in, no matter what you want to happen, it won't do what it says on the tin/manual/tech blurb ...
looks like a spending spree is in order now, unfortunatly im around £300 short of the £400 needed
even when you think you have read the blurb, at least look again and again..
first small issue in building pc's for the last 15 years or so... god damn it .. feel so grumpy now ...
just had to share my failure
Old 03 May 2012, 08:44 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

What went wrong then, just so we can learn from your experience
Old 03 May 2012, 09:03 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Cryptic

Hard drive failed? Hope not as many have felt that pain. Other half made the same mistake once, certainly never again . . . because I relocated her Documents folder to a daily backed up drive.
Old 03 May 2012, 05:08 PM
eagle
Scooby Regular

basically wanted to go crossfire on my current mobo.. got it with that overall goal in sight.
looked at all the blurb in the manual, and read the specs on the mobo site, yep all feasable and possible. cool .. get the required extra card, fitted it, driversweep on the gfx drivers ... restart, install latest drivers , restart , into bios activate crossfire profile, restart, install amd crossfire files, restart, boots up .. no crossfire .. hmmm spend an hour looking around to find that the board i have does infact have everything required to run basic crossfire, however actually getting it to work is prooving vary hard for many people who have asked.
came to the conclusion that ..
1. i neeed a new motherboard and processor
2. if i stay on the current 775 platform its still going to cost me around £100 for a second handboard to do so.
3. i could go sb 2500k (£160 ish) with a motherboard that runs crossfire properly (£180 ish) but now hard to find. and i have pcie 2.0 cards...
4. i could go ib 3570k (£170 ish) and motherboard pcie 3.0 (£180 ish)
5. i need 8gb ram £50 ish
6. i will probably need a cpu cooler if i want to overclock the 2500k (£23-£68 ish)
7. could do with a modern sata hdd as my last one failed (3 year warrenty, failed 5 days out of warrenty) and i have some ratttly old sata now.
8. i have around £100 available .. for now..

think its because i normally research alot more before doing things, but thought i had done so 4 years ago when i built my current system... hence when it all failed miserably .... yeah .. oh and if for some reason i did manage to make it work i WILL need a bigger case as the antec 900 i have currently looked very very crowded with 2 cards sat there

other issue is will the pcie3.0 slots slow the 2.0 cards down to x8 x8 as i would much prefer to have x16 x16 ...

off to spend the next few hours researching what to do next ....

Last edited by eagle; 03 May 2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03 May 2012, 05:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flog the new card.
Old 03 May 2012, 07:08 PM
eagle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Flog the new card.
yep .. thats the one i keep arriving at too
Old 12 May 2012, 07:54 PM
eagle
Scooby Regular

had a long play last night as im a persistant ikkle bugger, success it worked , eventually. was a bit of playing around with some settings, but bf3 in all its glory rocked for a while... then the map got busy .. and then the cpu bottlenecked .. the card was sold this morning.. lol... nice to know i did prove mysself wrong .. now looking at all these cheap 128 gb cheap ssd's

Trending Topics

Old 12 May 2012, 10:52 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

good luck - have to agree, its a nightmare trying to get the right components. i have my eye on a 3750k and a gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, but I'm waiting for a couple of weeks to see if there are any problems with the new boards/cpu's............... !!
Old 12 May 2012, 11:16 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell parts which you will don't need at future and you should recoup some money

About the MB and CPU,Intel i series is hard to beat and about the MB,but you can have look for older i7-920-930 which are still good and great for overclocking,RAM is not expensive at moment,plus case CoolerMaster HAF series is hard to beat in therm of cooling,space and cable management

Jura
Old 13 May 2012, 05:31 PM
eagle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Sell parts which you will don't need at future and you should recoup some money

About the MB and CPU,Intel i series is hard to beat and about the MB,but you can have look for older i7-920-930 which are still good and great for overclocking,RAM is not expensive at moment,plus case CoolerMaster HAF series is hard to beat in therm of cooling,space and cable management

Jura
had already had a thought about that , thinking that everyone wants a nice new ib cpu, and tripple channel memory does sound nice ..
Old 13 May 2012, 06:17 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by eagle
had a long play last night as im a persistant ikkle bugger, success it worked , eventually. was a bit of playing around with some settings, but bf3 in all its glory rocked for a while... then the map got busy .. and then the cpu bottlenecked .. the card was sold this morning.. lol... nice to know i did prove mysself wrong .. now looking at all these cheap 128 gb cheap ssd's
I was about to mention I have an Asus P5B WS lying around with 8Gb still attached.... O/C 775 chips like nothing else, but then you got rid of the GFX card
Old 14 May 2012, 06:42 AM
eagle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
I was about to mention I have an Asus P5B WS lying around with 8Gb still attached.... O/C 775 chips like nothing else, but then you got rid of the GFX card
was a hard decision i could get t back if i tried hard enough lol