Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sub £400 laptop advice??

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2012, 10:40 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sub £400 laptop advice??

The old boys Lappy is coming up to 5 years old now and he wants something a bit newer and quicker and with a battery that lasts more than 3 minutes.
He doesn't do anything other than surf the net and store photos so something fairly basic is the order of the day. 80g HD or bigger - plenty of ram - dvd/cd writer and if possible, an LED screen at 15" or bigger. His current Toshiba has been ok but has had a few niggles and due to a couple of people i know having issues with Dell he would rather stay away from these two brands.
Any pointers?

Last edited by Brun; 11 May 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11 May 2012, 10:50 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been looking at lappy's recently after the demise of the cheap lappy I bought off here a hundred years ago LOL

I was looking at the Lenovo and the Asus CX54 ....... both at £370, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD and the usual Intel processors. The Lenovo has an i3 and the Asus a dual core (sandybridge) I think.

I like the look of the Asus with quite a solid looking aluminium chassis, you can pick it up at one corner without the feeling it was going to break. The Lenovo was solid looking too.

I have previously bought HP / Compaq but fancied a change

Shaun
Old 11 May 2012, 11:01 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

My Sister has an Asus netbook which seems quite good. I'm behind the times on all things computer. What's better, i3 or duel core?

The thing that is really gonna get the old boy is the operating system change. After 5 years he still is only understanding Windows XP on a basic level. If i could put my hands on an XP machine i'd be happy but it would mean going second hand which he won't have
Old 11 May 2012, 11:19 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends which i3,if its older i3(i3-3x0M),still is good,but for those money you can get new Sandy Bridge(i3-2xx0M) which are great in multi thread applications such as Photoshop,Maya etc.

If you have doubts post here link and i'm sure here people happy help you with decision

Jura
Old 12 May 2012, 01:21 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Me and the wife have ran a Samsung NC10 for the past 3 years so had a bit of a Samsung hunt and came up with this. Seems ok?
Old 12 May 2012, 01:29 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Me and the wife have ran a Samsung NC10 for the past 3 years so had a bit of a Samsung hunt and came up with this. Seems ok?

They're using older Intel duo core CPU,which will be for you at some point little bit slower

Have look on this selection,maybe help

This one using new Sandy Bridge i3 and price seems is good

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/samsun...84730-pdt.html

This one using new Sandy Bridge i3 and price seems is good

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo...77745-pdt.html

This have older i3,but 8GB RAM

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/acer-a...11788-pdt.html

Really depends on what you would like to use your laptop,if its just for browsing on Internet,should be OK your selected,but if you are looking to do few more things where you will need pure CPU power plus if its possible have multi core/thread like photoshop,graphics etc. i would go with new sandy Bridge or even older i3

Jura
Old 12 May 2012, 02:54 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Thanks Jura - I've had a good search around for the Sammy you have highlighted and the price seems very good. Gonna take the old boy down PC world and see if he can get on with Windows 7. Good luck to him - i can't stand it

Trending Topics

Old 12 May 2012, 02:52 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Thanks Jura - I've had a good search around for the Sammy you have highlighted and the price seems very good. Gonna take the old boy down PC world and see if he can get on with Windows 7. Good luck to him - i can't stand it
Windows 7 is not the bad OS,yes sometimes is annoying,but with few tweaks is great OS

I've used for few years 64bit XP which has been OK for my jobs,but at the time now W7 is good as XP

I've before Vista 64bit,which has been biggest mistake,which i reverted to the XP installation

Jura
Old 18 May 2012, 10:25 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Ended up with this one. Set it up for the old boy today. Seems to be just what he needs. Thanks for the input