Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

game changer my ass lol

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2012, 02:02 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts
Default game changer my *** lol

Seems like everyweek a new product comes out that companies claim are game changers.

what total pish, for example other than the looks, the media formats and increase in performance whats the difference between a comador 64 and the latest alienware gaming machine?

the new media type sugested for the new verison of the xbox, whats new about that? its just a different method of transfering files
Old 15 March 2012, 02:24 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Mulitouch on a Mobile Device was a game changer from Apple.
Old 15 March 2012, 02:30 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't the iPad a game changer?

Old 15 March 2012, 02:31 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

i wouldn't say it was, touch screen has been around for a long long time.

first touch screen mobile type device was nintendo DS in 2004, iphone was first multi-touch in 09, but touch screen has been aroucd since the 1970's, so thats nothing new, just shrunk to fit and also it was delayed untill 2000's due to cost, not the actualy tech itself.
Old 15 March 2012, 02:40 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

So you're saying there's no difference between touch and multitouch, capacitive multitouch at that. "Yeah but"
Old 15 March 2012, 02:42 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

there is a difference yes, however it doesn't justify a bold 'game changer' headline. exactly what has it changed? you move your fingers across instead of hitting a button, not exactly a massive change is it lol
Old 15 March 2012, 02:44 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I think it can be considered a Game Changer if the "Game" changed. And following the release of the iPhone with iOS and Multitouch the mobile market changed. That's undeniable.
Old 15 March 2012, 02:52 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

thing is though the iphone took already existing tech and repackaged it, HTC/xda etc were around before the iphone, were smartphones in different packages.

Also the first smart phone's were released as pocket pc's, so was the smart phone such a big step or just a rebrand?

im not saying it about a specific product, although its gone down the phone route now lol, but just in general
Old 15 March 2012, 02:56 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Wait, didn't Mitsubishi first develop multi touch computing and on windows for that matter in the early 2000's?

Ok yes not on a phone but still.
Old 15 March 2012, 03:04 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

"Yeah but"

One day someone on here other than me will say "Well done Apple"
Old 15 March 2012, 03:14 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Tidgy

Regardless of your opinion of Apple and their products you cannot deny the iPhone was a game changer.

Look at phones now compared to what was around when the iPhone was released.

Even people who hate Apple benefit from Apple products as it simply increases competition and drives innovation in competitors.
Old 15 March 2012, 03:17 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Yeah, well done apple ... the mrs bought an ipod nano (much to my disgust) and itunes properly rogered my laptop.

feckin well done apple.... you tw@ts!

take existing tech .... repackage in a slinky metrosexual box ..... sell for twice as much to people that dont know any better ..... cant fault them for theyre business strategy though!
Old 15 March 2012, 03:19 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Hanley .... i do agree with that! tis a good point.
Old 15 March 2012, 03:19 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Put iTunes on your laptop first, that way you can blame something else when your machine goes **** up.
Old 15 March 2012, 03:25 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Got tio admit that while you can argue that iPhones, iPads, Macs Apple Tv etc. are great or not the fact that iTunes is a piece of **** is undeniable!!
Old 15 March 2012, 03:31 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Got tio admit that while you can argue that iPhones, iPads, Macs Apple Tv etc. are great or not the fact that iTunes is a piece of **** is undeniable!!
This, so much this.....

Love my iPhone, hate iTunes.
Old 15 March 2012, 03:32 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Amen to that. Mine has just started telling me that I haven't got enough memory to run it (got 8gb ram installed). Was ok until my library grew above 650 cds. Now it's dog slow and crashes a lot. Looking for something else now that I can use with my ipod...

The only thing "game changing" that Apple have done is in the field of advertising. They are natural salesmen who no doubt could sell snow to eskimos. It has little or nothing to do with the technology involved as I can't think of a single thing they have done "first". They just know how to package and sell existing technology in a way that appeals to the masses. No that there's anything wrong with that

Last edited by Iain Young; 15 March 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 15 March 2012, 03:52 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 15 March 2012, 04:05 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Iain Young
The only thing "game changing" that Apple have done is in the field of advertising. They are natural salesmen who no doubt could sell snow to eskimos. It has little or nothing to do with the technology involved as I can't think of a single thing they have done "first". They just know how to package and sell existing technology in a way that appeals to the masses. No that there's anything wrong with that
Its when you say things like that I realise you have no idea what you're talking about, you're a sheep.
Old 15 March 2012, 04:10 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I aim to please
Old 15 March 2012, 04:31 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with the iTunes comments

Although I don't have as many problems running it on my MacBook compared to a Windows PC.

I store all my media no my NAS and I hate the fact that at times when I launch iTunes a lot of my songs have the exclamation point next to them saying it can't locate the file...
Old 15 March 2012, 04:37 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I can't think of a single thing they have done "first".
Iain

In most cases Apple are about taking something that is already in the market and making it look nicer, making it work that little bit simpler, and of course, charging you a lot more money for it

They don't innovate as far as introducing new products, although the iPod was pretty close and I guess the iPad too, yes there were products in the market that performed a similar role but you have to agree the iPod revolutionised digital music.

I agree on the marketing, my wife is a marketing consultant and they are at the pinnacle at marketing, all other marketing companies try to emulate their strategy, and mainly fall flat on their faces.

But that was the genius behind Steve Jobs, Wozniak was the technical genius and Steve understood more how to drive it forward and turn it into a successful business, by delivering clever products that worked well and a very clever marketing strategy.

Old 15 March 2012, 05:09 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

itunes is only a piece of **** running on windows
Old 15 March 2012, 05:29 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
itunes is only a piece of **** running on windows
No it's a piece of **** full stop!
Old 15 March 2012, 05:39 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hanley
Iain

In most cases Apple are about taking something that is already in the market and making it look nicer, making it work that little bit simpler, and of course, charging you a lot more money for it

They don't innovate as far as introducing new products, although the iPod was pretty close and I guess the iPad too, yes there were products in the market that performed a similar role but you have to agree the iPod revolutionised digital music.

I agree on the marketing, my wife is a marketing consultant and they are at the pinnacle at marketing, all other marketing companies try to emulate their strategy, and mainly fall flat on their faces.

But that was the genius behind Steve Jobs, Wozniak was the technical genius and Steve understood more how to drive it forward and turn it into a successful business, by delivering clever products that worked well and a very clever marketing strategy.

think this is perhaps a good insight into why people love to hate apple
Old 15 March 2012, 07:06 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

But it ultimately benefits everyone because even if you hate Apple and wouldn't buy their products, the competing products you buy instead are better as a result of what Apple do

Old 15 March 2012, 08:40 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Love it or hate it You are the marketing campaign.
Old 15 March 2012, 09:37 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hanley
But it ultimately benefits everyone because even if you hate Apple and wouldn't buy their products, the competing products you buy instead are better as a result of what Apple do

I think it's the other way round these days, who were first to release a quad core tablet or phone? who were the first to have 1080p HD video camera on their devices, who were the first with front facing cameras phones, etc etc, Not Apple. So with that, it's other phones that is making Apple change their game to make better phones for you.
Old 15 March 2012, 10:03 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't buy an apple from a fruit shop, let alone buy anything made by Apple.

Used an Apple computer in a hotel last year and it was a slow arsed sack of crap. That may have been the internet connection, but, I don't care!
Old 15 March 2012, 10:46 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
I think it's the other way round these days, who were first to release a quad core tablet or phone? who were the first to have 1080p HD video camera on their devices, who were the first with front facing cameras phones, etc etc, Not Apple. So with that, it's other phones that is making Apple change their game to make better phones for you.
Indeed, and after using an Iphone for 2 days, I was ready to put a hammer through it, needless to say I went back to my Android phone. (bluetooth won't communicate with half my other hardware, wifi is temperamental, camera is slow and has no flash, video is awful, menu system is annoying in the way it works compared to Android, upgrading the battery is a total nightmare of tiny screws and fiddly connectors, and the keyboard was nowhere near as nice and accurate to use as the HTC onscreen keyboard, let alone the fold out proper keyboard).

Anything that locks me down as a user and insists I do things their way is bad by my book, and only suited to technon00bs with no imagination or ability to even try something different.

Apple have merely incorporated exisiting technology and put it into a marketing package. Thankfully the worlds courts are starting to realise you cannot patent something that is already in existence, and soon they will realise that trying to licence a name by pretending it is for a company with the initials I.P.A.D. is dishonest and will cost Apple millions imho.

The real success of the ipod was itunes (yeah I know it is sh@t now), and the real success of the iphone was the apps market (Which Android is catching up with) that allowed almost anyone to write software for it, because in both cases there are better mp3 players and better smartphones.

Ipad or Asus Transformer Prime? Well the Ipad 3 has a better display, possibly more games available (if you only count native software) and it is backward compatible with existing Iphone and Ipad software, so that is a positive. Then the Asus, native keyboard addon, slimmer than the Ipad, doesnt get as hot, has a faster CPU (quad core Nvidia Tegra 1.3ghz) and Nvidia gfx, has a great archive of exisiting games, AND can run Onlive cloud gaming with a free app, so has access to masses of console and PC games as well.

Which will prevail? My money is on the Ipad 3, because as Steve Jobs found out years ago, having a better product doesn't mean success, just marketing it better is what gives success.

I could be surprised, what made the PC a success was it's open source hardware, which Android has in its favour, but you cannot underestimate the Apple marketing machine.

For comparison, before the iphone I had many XDA phones and Nokia Communicator, to my mind the Nokia Communicator had the best layout of any smartphone, with a real phone keypad on the outside and opening up to a neat little computer. My HTC desire-Z is as close as I have been able to get to that right now.

Last edited by Galifrey; 15 March 2012 at 10:48 PM.

Quick Reply: game changer my ass lol