Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

pc world

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2002, 11:15 PM
ssubaru
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it took pc world 8 weeks to fix my computer is this normal
Old 02 May 2002, 11:26 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

For a collection of monkeys ( taking time off from writing the complete works of shakespeare ) this is about normal ...

S
Old 02 May 2002, 11:26 PM
ChrisB

Any details of the problem and worked carried out?
Old 03 May 2002, 12:08 AM
ssubaru
Scooby Regular

Problem was a error message stating cannot write to drive c which is the hard drive ,they first tried new and extra memory which did not work then they fitted a new hard drive which seemed to speed machine up but machine was hanging up all the time so after a few swear words in shop they wanted one more go but by this time it was 2 weeks after the 6 weeks they promise a new computer but all i got was fobbed of until they think they had it fixed,so i still have a machine that still dooes not work right so i think i will phone head office this week and see if they can do anything
don
Old 03 May 2002, 12:22 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Why would they try and fit new memory if it was a write error on the disc ?

A scandisk with surface scan off a boot floppy would have told them if it was a disc error.

Ring them. Be calm. Be persistent. Ask to speak to the Customer Services Director.
Old 03 May 2002, 10:06 AM
ScoobySport_1
Scooby Newbie

If it's disc write error they need to see if it's setup in the BIOS correctly as well, could be the i/o controller on the motherboard. More memory will not solve the problem....
I presume it's Win98 ? also not sure if it was carried across to Win98 from Win95 but you can only have up to 255 entries on the C drive, folder/files etc...

P.S just for future reference .....i wouldn't take it to p.c world....if you've got an I.T dept at work you'd be better off giving one of hose guys a drink and getting them to sort it out for you.
Old 03 May 2002, 09:55 PM
ssubaru
Scooby Regular

Hi thanks for the help they seem to have got it fixed now it was the hard drive but they found some files or sort were duplicated thus causeing the crashing after new hard drive was fitted as it has not crashed since i got it home yesterday so 9 weeks is still bollocks as they say after 6 weeks they will give you a new computer but i think this is also bollocks as no amount of asking for a new one was going to work as they keep fobbing me of onto another sales person or manager who kept saying give us one more chance so pc world you suck , also they are promising to send me a software bundle for my troubles but mes thinks i will never see them
don
ps pc world sucks