Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Which Games Console ?

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2002, 12:35 AM
Christmas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I own Sony PS1 & PS2, car stereo, home stereo, DVD player TVs and videos, never had a problem with any of them.

On the other hand, I have two PC's at home on Windows ME, and we have several at work on 98, ME and XP, all of which crash 2-3 times per month! Nobody will convince me to blow £200 on something from Microsh!te, when I have yet to experience a product of theirs that doesn't crash with monotonous regularity.

Have no experience of Nintendo except Super Mario Karts, so am in no position to comment.

Also I'm with Dazz1, GT3 what more do you need, until Colin McRae 3 comes out!

Edited cos I can't spell

[Edited by Christmas - 5/3/2002 12:36:07 AM]
Old 05 March 2002, 01:30 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Bottom Line:

If you want a console NOW, with tons of games for it like driving, football, arcade, etc... get a PS2

If you'd prefer to WAIT a couple of months, at the very least for the games, get an X-Box.

[Edited by DazV - 5/3/2002 1:30:37 PM]
Old 02 May 2002, 01:10 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

I appreciate that this has been done to death but its my birthday soon & wifey has offered to buy me "a games console of my choice".
Cost isn't an issue so........Xbox.....PS2....GameCube....
which one ?
I would actually like a DVD so does that mean its a PS2 or do the others have DVD ?
Sorry to those who are fed up with this question but I dont have a clue !

Ro.
Old 02 May 2002, 01:15 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Xbox has DVD, when you buy the remote. Gamecube does not, might be to do with using mini CD's for the games.

Xbox is winning for me at the moment over my PS2, Halo is stunning, and killing things is not normally my thing.
Old 02 May 2002, 01:37 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Im in to driving games so i will be stick with the PS2.

Has a far larger game base, including all your old Ps1 game should you have any. It also like the Xbox has a DVD player.

What really swings it is that there is no Gran Turismo, No WRC championship etc.

IMHO!
Ali

Old 02 May 2002, 04:06 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Smile

Got a PS2 and it's okay but just doesn't inspire me to sit down n play it much now that my GT3 fever has passed. The DVD playback quality isn't the best either.
Got a Gamecube on pre-order and can't wait. I'm a huge Mario fan and live in the hope they release Zelda for it in the near future.
Old 02 May 2002, 06:00 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

I don't think anyone could say which to buy ultimately they all have their positive and negative points.

At the moment thoug, IMO, I think Sony better lower the price of the PS2 or they'll suffer a dramatic reduction in console sales.

At £129 the Gamecube offers unbelievable value, plus the Nintendo console has exclusive developers with sure to be classics such as Mario Sunshine and Zelda.

The X-Box on paper looks sure to be the best, but only time will tell if they can provide the quality of game. If GTA3 is released for X-Box then that would sway me over a PS2.

At the end of the day you won't be dissapointed with any of the 3 super consoles.

Old 02 May 2002, 07:09 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

project gotham is quite good (nowhere near as good as gt3 tbh) and is a refreshing change as you have race modes and 'style' modes where you get points awarded for driving sideways etc, it makes a nice change from the norm.

also 'no Gran Turismo, No WRC championship' i take it you havent seen rallisport challenge then?

AWESOME grpahics, great gameplay, and frankly the best arcade style rallying game bar none imo. you can change a few settings like gear ratios, speed of steering etc, but the sheer speed of it and the stunning grpahics make this a much better game than what was a very disapointing, slow and glitchy wrc championship game.
Old 02 May 2002, 07:37 PM
dazz1
Scooby Regular

Two words... PS2/GT3!
Nothing else matters.

I've it and simply love it.

Old 03 May 2002, 04:29 AM
lego
Scooby Regular

Question

Ro
i'm in the very same position as you. birthday comming up and the wife wants to get me a console. ps2 or x box?
from the reviews i'v read it looks like the x box is better alround
console the only down side is the game base as ali said
i'v played the ps2 and was impressed so if the xbox is better then the games will follow.
can anyone comment on the dvd quality of the xbox?
Old 03 May 2002, 07:36 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Rofl at christmas chaps comments, interesting attitude to take, kinda like saying i wouldnt go for the new 40" plasmas that daewoo make for @ £2000 becuase i think there cars are crap. (not the same example i know, but kinda similar).

Peter
(happy xbox owner since boxing day, never had a crash or problem)
(amd xp2000 pc running xp which is up 24/7 and also hasnt crashed since built 4 weeks ago - pc before that originally crashed like a bandit, why? because the company involved used a heatsink that was useless and the cpu would get hot and cause the crash, nothing to do with any operating system).

p.s. Though i do have to admit when i last worked in support (about 6 years ago) i'd have happily beaten bill gates to a pulp if he came in the office
Old 03 May 2002, 01:56 PM
Trotty
Scooby Regular

Smile

Just sold my PS2 this week and replaced it with an XBOX, Halo, Rallisport Challenge and DVD jobby - well happy with it all. Loved GT3 on my PS2 but the DVD playback was pretty ****e really!

Try them all out and go with whatever you prefer...
Old 03 May 2002, 02:08 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Talking

GTA3 will be out on the xbox soon
Old 03 May 2002, 02:33 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

As for GTA on X-Box. The PC version out late May.

I didn't realise there had been any mention of the X-Box release date.

-DV
Old 03 May 2002, 03:08 PM
Baja
Scooby Regular

I'm sticking with PS2 for now. Still happily playing GT3, WRC and F1 2001. Did go as far as putting down an Xbox deposit but backed out - if TOCA Race Driver is better on XBox though that might change my mind.

GameCube looks good for the money but Nintendo never seem to get decent driving games.
Old 03 May 2002, 11:49 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

i had this problem lastweek, it was Xbox or PS2?

2 days ago i decided on the PS2, simply because of the games on offer, it was from PC world with 5 games of your choice for £298.
DVD playback seems to be very good, after all, it is a Sony product.