Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

iPod/iTunes synching and losing data

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2012, 01:09 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question iPod/iTunes synching and losing data

Hi,

Please can somebody give me a quick iTunes tutorial.

At the weekend, i was prompted to upload the latest version of iTunes. No problem i thought, and i installed it. I then bought two new tunes from the iTunes store. Again, no problem.

But then i plugged in the iPod to synch it, and it came up with a warning that i could only link to one iTunes library, and synching to this new one would result in loss of data on the iPod.

Most of the music on the iPod has come from ripping cds onto iTunes, it has taken ages to do over the weeks. But now i've installed new iTunes, that whole library has gone, or at least i can't find it.

So my question is; can i synch my iPod by telling iTunes to keep all the music currently stored on it, and also loading the two new tunes i bought? I can't believe i have to rip all the cds again? Surely not? Any advice appreciated, thanks.
Old 13 March 2012, 01:23 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Dir you sync it originally with a different computer?

You can use 3rd party apps which will get by the one library issue.
Old 13 March 2012, 01:55 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Short answer, no you cannot tell iTunes to keep the music on it and add the new tracks. It thinks this is another iPod that had been synced against another iTunes library. Apple does this to prevent you from taking your iPod to someone else's computer and copying their music on to your iPod. Basically it is thier idea of copy protection and as you are finding out it is annoying.

Have a look on the apple discussions forums for issues with iTunes 10.6 losing the library. My guess is that if you can get iTunes to pick up the library then it should also fix the problem orecrntibg you from just copying tracks over.

As already mentioned there are apps out there that will allow you to copy music to and from without this limitation. Have a look at diskaid, I think it is by digidna, happily copies to and from any iPod ( check if tidies support your iPod, might only work with touch based ones)
Old 13 March 2012, 01:55 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Yes, i've renewed my computer since it was very first synched, but on my current pc i regularly synched it as i ripped more cds into the library, but now on iTunes the library is empty apart from the two songs i bought after loading the new version.
Old 13 March 2012, 01:57 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Markus, i'll look into that
Old 13 March 2012, 02:02 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

The upshot is iTunes is a bag of sh*te for managing stuff on your iPod (at least the PC version is), use a 3rd party application instead.

Apple aren't always perfect
Old 13 March 2012, 02:59 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Nope, iTunes is also chuff on the Mac too.

How Apple can get it so wrong I don't know. iPhone, iPad etc. all handle dealing with files really nicely. Most Mac software and the OS itself also handles files really well.

Then you get iTunes. Mine will sync nicely with my iPad but won't honour changes I've made to my iPod Nano. Just wants to sync everything to that too.

Stupid software.