Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Melissa virus author go's down

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2002, 05:51 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
20 months for an agreed $80 million damages. Sends a good message to anyone thinking it's fun to write naughty code.
Old 01 May 2002, 06:19 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do u have an url?
Old 01 May 2002, 06:21 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
shame for you eh?

David
Old 01 May 2002, 08:50 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Jack

Can you tell us on scoobynet by how much your (NAI) sales have increased since LoveBug/Melissa came out?

Old 01 May 2002, 09:50 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

i always thought anti-virus companies employeed virus makes, so when a new virus comes out, they already have a patch - better the devil you know?

On another note, aint seen it anywhere on the web, you have a link to the news item?
Old 01 May 2002, 11:44 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Puff, can't tell you how much sales went up, but I guess it's a lot, there are many more PC's, many more people sharing files and many more people writing internet enabled malware. Can't say that it affects me, any significant shares I had in the company were sold way before that time and my pay is around the same as it was.

Christian, I commented on www.theregister.co.uk and did an interview with the BBC tonight. Most of the major US Tech sites should have information by now and no doubt the UK ones will be hunting for copy tomorrow.

David, it's good news for me if people stop writing malcode, there are thousands of pieces of code out there already that are still circulating, I need new ones as much as the subaru community needs new car thiefs.

Old 01 May 2002, 11:49 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Oh yeah, and as for writing them ourselves, I always thought that Autoglass broke windscreens, Dentmaster was careless in supermarket carparks and Firemen were pyromaniacs. Could of course all be true but I can assure you that helping people and pissing them off requires differing mindsets.
Old 03 May 2002, 10:29 AM
ScoobySport_1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Anti virus is a good idea....but i wouldn't buy mcafee....conflicts with other software.....best is SOPHOS but it's expensive.....Norton's isn't too bad...

But there again Viruses can be the least of your problems....invest in firewall software £30ish well worth it Nortons or Zone-Alarm....after you install it you'll see how many people try and hack your p.c....it's easy...too easy....